Police account of anti-occupation
Nicosia, Aug 11 (CNA) -- The toll of yesterday's anti-occupation rally was one person dead and 41 injured, 36 Greek Cypriot civillians, three police officers and two police officers serving with one of the two British bases on the island.
Health Minister Manolis Christofides, who visited the injured persons in hospitals in Larnaca and Paralimni, said a total of 56 persons were injured during the demonstrations.
Police said in a statement that the dead, Anastasios (Tasos) Isaac, a newly married 24-year old man whose wife is pregnant, from Paralimni, was trapped in barbed wire in the buffer zone and was beaten by the Turkish occupation troops with stones and batons.
The statement said police implemented a contingency plan, prepared to deal with tantion and serious danger, which could possible arise from undisciplined events.
The statement said demonstrators withdrew from all points in the UN-controlled buffer zonethey had gathered at earlier today.
Increased tention was notable at various points along the 180-Kilometer long buffer sone and thepolice were trying to avoid any confrontation with the demonstrators on the one hand and avert the danger of entering the buffer zone on the other.
Police have acknowledge that their task was made even more difficult by the great length of the ceasefire line and the line's border with the British base of Dhekelia where the Cyprus police has no jurisdiction.
There was no increased trouble in three specific areas, inSopaz, on the eastern side of Nicosia, near Achna village in close proximity to the British bases and in the village of Dherynia, on the eastern and of the dividing line.
More than 2,000 people were involved in scuffles in all three locations,it added.
President condemns murder of Greek Cypriot demonstrator
Nicosia, Aug, 11 (CNA) -- President Glafkos Clerides condemned here yesterday the murder of a Greek Cypriot demonstrator by the Turkish occupation regime amd called on the international community to understand that the continuing Turkish occupation of part of Cyprus is a provocation.
In a statement, issued here after the killing earlier today, the president said this criminal and abhorrent act is another example of the ruthlessness of the occupation troops and constitutes a blatant contempt of every principle of international law and violation of UN fundamental principles.
The goverment, he said, will protest this new horrific crime internationally and to all directions.
The statement also said the murder provides yet more telling evidence that the tolerance of the continuing occupation intensifies the provocative behaviour of the occupation troops and encourages the licence of these troops and the self-styled Turkish Cypriot state.
The president noted that unfortunately the information made known to the goverment late last night and today had been confirmed.
The information, the President added, had led him to ask the Cyprus Motorcycle Federation leadership to modify today's last part of the anti-occupation rally, which is what happened.
Expressing shock and deep sorrow for the inhuman murder of the 24-year old Anastasios (Tasos) Isaac, from Paralimni, by the occupation troops and the Turkish Cypriot pseudostate, the President extended his condolences and sympathy to his widow and his family.
The goverment has announced that the funeral of the dead Greek Cypriot will be at the state's expense.
Download related movies:
Tasos Isaac being murdered by Turks | AVI format (2Mb) | ZIP format (1.4Mb) |
Greek-Cypriots beaten up by Turks | AVI format (2Mb) | ZIP format (1.4Mb) |
Copyright © 1995-2023 HR-Net (Hellenic Resources Network). An HRI Project.
Copyright (c) 1996, LogosNet Group
Number of visitors since Thu Feb 8 13:44:06 EST 1996:
All Rights Reserved.