The Monastery of Docheiariou (tel. +30 377 61245)

The Monastery of Docheiariou The Monastery of Docheiariou lies on the west side of the promontory and was founded between 1030-1032 by the monk Daniel of Docheiariou.

It occupies the tenth rank in the hierarchical order of the twenty Athonite monasteries. It is inhabited by 32 monks (1990) and is coenobitic (communal).

The monastery's katholikon was built through the benefaction of John Lapousneanos in 1568. It is the largest church among the katholika of the monasteries of Mount Athos with its special characteristic being its height.

It was decorated in 1568 by the Cretan painter Tzortzis and was later re-painted in 1855. The monastery features ten chapels, one of which houses the miracle-working icon of the Virgin Gorgoepekoos (the ready listener). Also, the monastery has a fragment of the True cross, and parts of many saints' relics.

The library has 395 catalogued manuscripts, as well as 46 that have not been classified, and 1,500 printed books.

© 1997 Macedonian Press Agency