The Monastery of Pantokrator (tel. +30 377 61253)

The Monastery of Pantokrator It is located on the eastern side of the peninsula and is dedicated to the Transfiguration of Our Lord. It was founded by Alexios the Stratopedarch and John the Primikerios. Its operation most likely started in 1363.

It occupies the seventh rank in the hierarchical order of the twenty Athonite monasteries. It is inhabited by 66 monks (1990) and is coenobitic (communal). The coenobitic skete of Prophet Elijah belongs to the monastery of Pantokrator.

The monastery's katholikon is small, due to a lack of space. It is built in the style of the Athonite churches with one slight irregularity, that is, the distance between the choirs of the cantors and the sanctuary is unusually great. The church features wall-paintings from artists of the Macedonian School and certain parts were restored in 1854. Besides the katholikon the monastery features eight chapels.

Its library contains 350 codices, two liturgical scrolls and 3,500 printed books. During the recent years a few codices have been stolen from the library. Among the monastery' treasures, the most significant is a fragment of the True Cross .

© 1997 Macedonian Press Agency