The Monastery of Stavronikita (tel. +30 377 61218)

The Monastery of Stavronikita It is located on the eastern shore of the peninsula, at an altitude of 50 meters above sea level. It is the last of the monasteries built on Mount Athos and has the shape of a fortress.

It occupies the fifteenth rank in the hierarchical order of the twenty Athonite monasteries. It is inhabited by 28 monks (1990) and is coenobitic (communal).

The monastery had repeatedly been destroyed by fire in 1067, 1817, 1864 and 1879. Its katholikon was built between 1527-1536. Its wall murals were performed by the Cretan artist Theophanes. It maintains the architecture of the katholika of the Athonite monasteries. Its templon is painted by Theophanes and its theme is the Dodecaorton. Aside from the katholikon, there are six chapels inside and outside the monastery.

The library houses 170 manuscript and several thousands of printed books. The skevofylakion houses precious treasures, such as holy relics, liturgical vessels and crosses.

© 1997 Macedonian Press Agency