The Monastery of Xenophon (tel. +30 377 61249)

The Monastery of Xenophon It is located at the south-western part of the Athos peninsula. It was built in 1010 by the monk Xenophon.

It occupies the sixteenth rank in the hierarchical order of the twenty Athonite monasteries and is inhabited by 57 monks.

The monastery of Xenophon features two katholika . The original, dedicated to the memory of Saint George, was built in the 16th century and features frescoes of the Cretan School. The new was restored between the years 1817-1837 and is the largest of all the katholika of the Holy Mountain. The monastery features eight chapels inside its precinct and six outside.

The monastery's library houses 300 manuscripts and 4,000 printed books.

© 1997 Macedonian Press Agency