Read the Monthly Armed Forces Magazine
(Hellenic MOD Mirror on HR-Net)
Copyright © 1995-2016 HR-Net (Hellenic Resources Network). An HRI Project.
Treaty Establishing the European Community
as Amended by Subsequent Treaties
ROME, 25 March 1957
- The Community shall contribute to the flowering of the
cultures of the Member States, while respecting their national and
regional diversity and at the same time bringing the common cultural
heritage to the fore.
- Action by the Community shall be aimed at encouraging cooperation
between Member States and, if necessary, supporting and supplementing
their action in the following areas:
- improvement of the knowledge and dissemination of the culture and
history of the European peoples;
- conservation and safeguarding of cultural heritage of European
- non-commercial cultural exchanges;
- artistic and literary creation, including in the audiovisual
- The Community and the Member States shall foster cooperation with
third countries and the competent international organizations in the
sphere of culture, in particular the Council of Europe.
- The Community shall take cultural aspects into account in its action
under other provisions of this Treaty.
- In order to contribute to the achievement of the objectives referred
to in this Article, the Council:
- acting in accordance with the procedure referred to in Article 189b
and after consulting the Committee of the Regions, shall adopt
incentive measures, excluding any harmonization of the laws and
regulations of the Member States. The Council shall act unanimously
throughout the procedures referred to in Article 189b;
- acting unanimously on a proposal from the Commission, shall adopt
All Rights Reserved.
HTML by the HR-Net Group / Hellenic Resources Institute, Inc.
Sunday, 29 October 1995
Original Source: http://www.tufts.edu/departments/fletcher/multi/texts/BH343.txt
Also Available At: http://www.tufts.edu/departments/fletcher/multi/texts/rome/contents.html