INTERNATIONAL ASSOCIATION FOR GREEK PHILOSOPHY
5, SIMONIDOU STR., 174 56 ALIMOS-GREECE, TEL : 99 23 281, FAX : 72 48 979
ELEVENTH INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE
ON GREEK PHILOSOPHY
MITHYMNA (LESB0S) 20 - 26 AUGUST 1999
We are pleased to announce that the preparations for the:
ELEVENTH INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE ON GREEK PHILOSOPHY
on the topic of :
“ GREEK PHILOSOPHY AND THE FINE ARTS”
are well under way and we anticipate an academically sound, lively and amicable Conference.
This Circular is to inform you of matters relating to the Conference (commencement, venue, sessions etc).
1. The Conference will take place in August (20-26) 1999, in the town of Mithymna, the birthplace of Arion the kytharist, on the island of Lesbos. The Conference will start at 16.30 on Friday the 20th of August 1999 in the Conference Hall of the Municipality of Mithymna.
2. From 21. 8. 1999 at 8.30 a.m., the Conference will be taking place in the Conference Hall of the Hotel DELPHINIA. It is expected that the Conference will continue until (and including) the 26th of August 1999.
Those attending the Conference for the first time are informed that the sessions are from 8.30-13.30 and 17.00-20.00.
During the afternoon break, delegates will be able to enjoy the sea and the beach in front of the Hotel DELPHINIA or at other nearby beaches.
3. With regard to the other events during the Conference, delegates will be informed on arrival in Lesbos, and they will receive the full Conference programme (which is almost a printed book of approximately 100 pages) during registration, on the first day of the Conference.
4. Concerning the events at the Conference, delegates are kindly requested to attend all the Conference proceedings and contribute through their presence to the creation of a true academic dialogue and the kind of warm atmosphere and friendly communication that are part of the aims of the Conferences organised by the International Association for Greek Philosophy (IAGP) and the International Center for Greek Philosophy and Culture. This is a small sacrifice for the good of the Conference which may thus become the start of a course to a more fulfilling life.
5. Participants can reach the island of Lesbos either by ship or by plane.
To the participants who are travelling to Lesbos by plane, we would like to make known the following:
The airport “Odysseus Elytis” at Lesbos is in the south-east part of the island (Krategos area). The estimated time needed to get by taxi from the airport to the Inter-City Bus Station in the town of Mytilini (tel. 0253-28.873) is 10-20 minutes, depending on the traffic, and the average fare is about 1,000 Drs.
From the Andreas Papandreou Square in the town of Mytilini (where the Inter-City Bus Station is) the participants can take the bus for Mithymna (the estimated time of travel is 1 hour and 40 minutes, and the bus-fare costs about 1,400 Drs.). Should they wish so, the participants can also share a taxi to Mithymna with other interested participants. The trip by taxi from Mytilini to Mithymna takes about 1 hour and 10 minutes, and the average fare is 9,000 Drs. The taxi fare from the airport to Mithymna is 10,000 Drs.
The bus timetable from Mytilini to Mithymna is the following: departures from Mytilini to Mithymna: a) 9 a.m., b) 11 a.m., c) 13.15 p.m., and d) 15.30 p.m.; and from Mithymna to Mytilini: a) 7 a.m., b) 13.00 p.m., and c) 16.00 p.m.
To the participants travelling to Lesbos by ship we would like to point out that their destination port is Mytilini. The distance from the boarding dock of the port to the Inter-City Bus Station (tel. 0253-28.873) is very small and can easily be done on foot or by taxi. With regard to the ship departures (Piraeus Port Authority: 01--45.11.311) from Piraeus to Lesbos, the timetable and the names of the ships are the following:
18. 8. 99: Theofilos: 19.15 p.m. (via Chios). 19. 8. 99: a. Mytilini: 21.00 p.m., b. Sapho: 21.00 p.m. (via Chios). 20. 8. 99: a. Mytilini: 21.00 p.m., b. Theofilos: 18.00 p.m. (via Chios); 21. 8. 99: a. Sapho: 9.00 a.m. (via Chios), b. Mytilini: 22.00 p.m. (via Chios).
The duration of the boat trip is approximately 10 hours on a direct line, and 12 hours when one travels via Chios. The ticket costs are the following: Deck 6,700-9,000 Drs.; Cabin 9,900-16,000 Drs. (The price of the cabin varies in accordance with the class.)
The day before the official opening and on the first day of the Conference (19th and the 20 th of August 1999), at the times of Olympic Airways flights from Athens to Mytilini (a. 5.45 a.m., b. 8.55 a.m., c. 12.40 p.m.) there will be made every effort to secure a conference bus that will be waiting for the participants at the airport “Odysseus Elytis” to take them directly to Mithymna. A bus will also be provided to Mytilini and the airport after the end of the Conference.
The Organizing Committee wishes to stress to all participants traveling to Lesbos by plane, the importance of making airline reservations to and from the island in advance. To avoid difficulties, flights from Lesbos to Athens at this high peak tourist period should be booked in advance. Travel arrangements to and from the island of Lesbos are the responsibility of individual participants.
6. Upon the arrival at Mithymna, the participants who need information about accomodation, can address the Tourist Office of the Municipality of Mithymna, which is situated at the entrance to the town (tel. 0253-71.347, 71.069) or the Secretariat of the Conference (after 17. 8. 1999) at the Hotel DELPHINIA (tel. 0253-71.315, 71.580, 71.373 and Fax: 0253-71.524).
7. Towards the end of the Conference, and particularly on Friday 27th of August 1999, there will be a full-day excursion and a session in the town of Eresos, the birthplace of Theophrastus, and other places on the island. The departure will be at 8.30-9 a.m. and we will return late in the evening. (The exact time of the return will be given in the Conference Program.)
The transport costs of the excursion will be covered by the Conference.
Therefore, participants who wish to attend the excursion and the session in Eressos, must fill out the Participation Form No.11 and send it to the Secretariat of the Conference not later than July 15th 1999.
8. The Organizing Committee would like to use this opportuinity to draw the attention of all the participants to the fact that, due to the obligations and responsibilities already undertaken by the Committee, any cancellation of participation that comes after the 15th 0f July 1999 creates tremendous organizational and financial problems to the Conference. The Committee would, therefore, like to kindly appeal to participants to bear that fact in mind and, if any changes be in order, to notify the Organizing Committee as soon as possible, most preferably not later than July 10th 1999.
9. Enclosed together with this Circular are FORMS No. 9 (Residence Form), No. 10 (Travel Form), No. 11 (Excursion and Session in Eressos Form)
10. Once again in anticipation of an enjoyable Conference in a civilised, intellectual, pleasant and most of all ecologically unspoiled environment, we look forward to seeing you in Lesbos, the island of harmony and beauty, in the very heart of the Aegean world.
With best wishes
Professor of Philosophy
The Univesity of Athens
President of the Organising Committee
A. ATHENS: 01- 99.23.281, 01-72.77.545, FAX:01 -72.48.979. E-Mail: email@example.com
B. MITHYMNA (from 17.8.1999) Hotel Delphinia: tel. 0253- 71.315, 71.580, 71.373; FAX: 0253- 71.524
C. Internet address: http://www.hri.org/iagp/