(SAMOS:PYTHAGORION, AUGUST 2-8, 2002)
This circular is to inform you of matters relating to the Conference (commencement and venue etc.).
1. The Conference will start at 18.00 on Friday 2nd of AUGUST 2002 in the Conference Hall of the Doryssa Bay Hotel in Pythagorion (tel.(0030) 273-088300, fax: 0273-061463-Website:www.doryssa-bay.gr, e-mail:firstname.lastname@example.org).
2. It is expected that the Conference will continue until (and including) 8th of August 2002. Those attending the Conference in Pythagorion for the first time are informed that the sessions are from 8.30-13.30 and 17.00-20.00. During the afternoon break, delegates are able to enjoy the sea and sandy beach in front of the Doryssa Bay Hotel less than a hundred yards from the Conference Room.
3. With regard to the other events during the Conference, participants will be informed on arrival in PYTHAGORION, and they will receive the full Conference programme (which is almost a printed book of approximately 100 pages) during the registration, in the first day of the Conference.
4. Concerning the events at the Conference, participants are kindly requested to attend all the Conference proceedings and contribute through their presence to the creation of a true academic dialogue and the kind of warm atmosphere and friendly communication that are part of the aims of the Conferences organised by the International Association for Greek Philosophy (IAGP) and the International Center for Greek Philosophy and Culture (ICOGPC). This is a small sacrifice for the good of the Conference which may thus become the start of a course to a more fulfilling life.
5. Participants can reach the island of Samos either by ship or by plane. The ships to Samos depart from Piraeus and the preferred destination for Conference participants is the port of Vathi (town of Samos). From the town of Samos to Pythagorion there is a distance of approximately 17km. There are local buses from one place to another. However, if one arrives later at night, it will be necessary to take a taxi. Since the airport at Samos is in the Pythagorion area, the participants coming by plane will arrive directly to Pythagorion, and the airport is less than five minutes drive away from the Doryssa Bay Hotel. There are charter flights from European cities directly to Samos ( Pythagorion).
The Organizing Committee wishes to stress to all participants traveling to Samos by plane, the importance of making airline reservations to and from the island in advance. To avoid difficulties, flights from Samos to Athens at this high peak tourist period should be booked in advance. Travel arrangements to and from the island of Samos are the responsibility of individual participants.
6. The Organizing Committee would like to use this opportunity to draw the attention of all the participants to the fact that, due to the obligations and responsibilities already undertaken by the Committee, any cancellation of participation that comes after May 2002 creates tremendous organizational and financial problems to the Conference. The Committee would, therefore, like to kindly appeal to participants to bear that fact in mind and, if any changes be in order, to notify the Organizing Committee as soon as possible, most preferably not later than May 30th 2002.
7. We would also like to kindly remind the participants of the matters regarding Conference papers. As has already been announced, participants may have two versions of their papers, one to be read at the Conference (with 15, 20 or 30 minutes duration, depending on the time allocated in the Letter of Acceptance, which each speaker received from the President of the Organising Committee) and other being the completed final version of the paper prepared for publication in the books to be published in the ICOGPC's Ionia Publications (whose maximum length can be up to 15 printed pages, notes included). In case a participant has not submitted the Final Version to the Organizing Committee before or during the Conference, he/she should send it to the Committee no later than September 30, 2002 in order for the paper to be considered for publication. As it is known, it has been the policy of the Conference from the very beginning that a) the Academic Committee of ICOGPC reserves the right of giving final approval and recommendation as to which papers will be published, and that b) the exclusive copyright of papers to be published belongs to ICOGPC, unless otherwise stated.
8. As usual, a one-day Tour of Samos could be arranged on 8th August 2002. However, it is necessary to apply in advance (using PARTICIPATION FORM No.11), because the holding of the Tour depends on whether enough people declare interest. Therefore, applications should be sent to the Organizing Committee no later than 30th of June 2002, and the applicants will be informed upon their arrival whether or not the Tour will take place. As has been the case in the previous years, if the Tour takes place, departure will be between 8.30 - 9.00 a.m., returning at around 18.00 p.m.
9. Enclosed together with this Circular are FORMS No. 9 (Accommodation ), No. 10 (Travel Form), No. 11 (Tour of Samos ).
Once again in anticipation of an enjoyable Conference in a civilised, intellectual and pleasant environment, we look forward to seeing you in SAMOS, in the very heart of the Aegean world.
With best wishes
Professor of Philosophy
President of the Organising Committee