Read the Treaty Establishing the European Community (Rome, 25 March 1957) A)? GHT="50">
Compact version
Today's Suggestion
Read The "Macedonian Question" (by Maria Nystazopoulou-Pelekidou)
HomeAbout HR-NetNewsWeb SitesDocumentsOnline HelpUsage InformationContact us
Friday, 22 November 2019
 
News
  Latest News (All)
     From Greece
     From Cyprus
     From Europe
     From Balkans
     From Turkey
     From USA
  Announcements
  World Press
  News Archives
Web Sites
  Hosted
  Mirrored
  Interesting Nodes
Documents
  Special Topics
  Treaties, Conventions
  Constitutions
  U.S. Agencies
  Cyprus Problem
  Other
Services
  Personal NewsPaper
  Greek Fonts
  Tools
  F.A.Q.
 

Cyprus News Agency: News in English (PM), 01-10-07

Cyprus News Agency: News in English Directory - Previous Article - Next Article

From: The Cyprus News Agency at <http://www.cyna.org.cy>


CONTENTS

  • [01] Spokesman - Attack - Afghanistan - Comment
  • [02] Cyprus Communications and Works Minister - US attack
  • [03] Cyprus Justice Minister - US attack
  • [04] Cyprus Defence Minister - US attack

  • 2130:CYPPRESS:01

    [01] Spokesman - Attack - Afghanistan - Comment

    Nicosia, Oct 7 (CNA) -- Cyprus has welcomed US President George Bush's comments that the US offensive, which started today, is not targeting the Afghan people, Government Spokesman Michalis Papapetrou told CNA here tonight, as the US-led offensive against terrorism is unfolding.

    The spokesman said the Republic's airports have been on high alert since the terrorist attacks in New York and Washington on 11 September and continue to be on high alert.

    Cyprus has granted permission to US military aircraft to use its air space and has given landing rights to the US, following a request by Washington.

    "We would like to hope that as a result of this military operation a place that harbors terrorism will be uprooted. We also hope that the people of Afghanistan will be freed from the inhuman Taliban regime," the spokesman told CAN.

    The spokesman welcomed President Bush's remarks, in his address to the American people today, that the offensive is not targeting civilians but specific military targets in order to destroy Tabilan's military capabilities.

    "We note with great pleasure President Bush' s statement that the offensive is targetting, not civilians, not the Afghan people, but specific military targets with a view to eliminate the military capability of the Taliban," Papapetrou told CNA.

    The government of Cyprus condemned the terrorist attacks of 11 September and aligned itself with the coalition of countries fighting terrorism.

    CNA MM/GP/2001
    2150:CYPPRESS:02

    [02] Cyprus Communications and Works Minister - US attack

    Nicosia, Oct 7 (CNA) -- Air traffic in Cyprus has not been affected so far, following the start of the US-led offensive currently underway in Afghanistan, Communications and Works Minister Averof Neofytou told CNA tonight.

    "Everything is running smoothly as far as civil aviation is concerned, so far. There is nothing specific to report at this stage," Neofytou said, adding that airport facilities and other services are operating as normal.

    Cyprus granted earlier this week landing rights to US military aircraft and the use of its air space as part of its contribution to the coalition fighting terrorism.

    Replying to questions, the minister said he would be consulting with his aides at the Civil Aviation Control Centre "just to keep abreast of developments."

    He said so far no flights have been postponed.

    CNA MM/GP/2001
    2240:CYPPRRESS:03 Cyprus Justice Minister - US attack Nicosia, Oct 7 (CNA) -- Cyprus Justice and Public Order Nikos Koshis told CNA tonight that additional security measures have been taken outside the embassies in Nicosia of the countries that participate in the US-led offensive in Afganistan.

    Koshis said he in constant touch with Foreign Minister Ioannis Kasoulides, who has been contacting foreign ambassadors for the extra measures being taken.

    The Justice minister said Cyprus Police Force "have been on alert taking increased security measures at sensitive areas".

    "Extraordinary security measures have been taken at all embassies and particularly at the embassies of the countries which are taking part in the attacks against the terrorists", the Cypriot minister told CNA.

    CNA GP/2001
    2310:CYPPRESS:04

    [04] Cyprus Defence Minister - US attack

    Nicosia, Oct 7 (CNA) -- Cyprus had taken additional security measures soon after the terrorist attack against the United States on September 11, Cyprus Defence minister Sokrates Hasikos told CNA tonight.

    "Cyprus took increased security measures since the day of the terrorist attack and maintained those measures pending the US attack," the minister said.

    He explained that "there is no cause for concern", adding that the Cypriot authorities had taken the necesary measures "for such situations."

    The minister said the Cypriot authorities were following developments very closely.

    Hasikos added the situation had been under control despite the fact that some 40 countries had been involved in this operation.

    CNA KS/GP/2001

    Cyprus News Agency: News in English Directory - Previous Article - Next Article
    Back to Top
    Copyright 1995-2016 HR-Net (Hellenic Resources Network). An HRI Project.
    All Rights Reserved.

    HTML by the HR-Net Group / Hellenic Resources Institute, Inc.
    cna2html v2.01 run on Sunday, 7 October 2001 - 20:47:03 UTC