HR-Net - Hellenic Resources Network Compact version
Today's Suggestion
Browse through our Interesting Nodes on Telecommunications in Greece
HomeAbout HR-NetNewsWeb SitesDocumentsOnline HelpUsage InformationContact us
Sunday, 10 December 2017
 
News
  Latest News (All)
     From Greece
     From Cyprus
     From Europe
     From Balkans
     From Turkey
     From USA
  Announcements
  World Press
  News Archives
Web Sites
  Hosted
  Mirrored
  Interesting Nodes
Documents
  Special Topics
  Treaties, Conventions
  Constitutions
  U.S. Agencies
  Cyprus Problem
  Other
Services
  Personal NewsPaper
  Greek Fonts
  Tools
  F.A.Q.
 

Cyprus News Agency: News in English, 11-07-11

Cyprus News Agency: News in English Directory - Previous Article - Next Article

From: The Cyprus News Agency at <http://www.cyna.org.cy>


CONTENTS

  • [01] CABINET - NAVAL BASE - DECISIONS
  • [02] PRESIDENT - EXPLOSION
  • [03] VICTIMS - HOSPITAL
  • [04] GREECE - STAFF - NAVAL BASE

  • [01] CABINET - NAVAL BASE - DECISIONS

    The Government has declared three days of mourning for the deadly explosion at the Evangelos Florakis Naval Base in Mari, expressing sorrow and condolences to the families of the victims.

    Speaking after an extraordinary meeting of the Council of Ministers, Government Spokesman Stephanos Stephanou said the dead from the tragedy have reached twelve and the wounded 62, including two seriously injured.

    Furthermore, President of the Republic of Cyprus Demetris Christofias has accepted the resignations of Minister of Defence Costas Papacostas and National Guard Chief of Staff Petros Tsalikides.

    The Government has called on the people to cooperate in order to overcome the difficulties arising from the reduced supply of energy and water.

    Stephanou said the cabinet decided to call in experts from abroad to assist investigations into the tragedy.

    Replying to questions, Stephanou said a meeting had taken place last week regarding the explosives at the Naval Base and that decisions had been taken to protect the material, which had been confiscated in 2009 by the Republic of Cyprus from an Iranian ship in Cyprus` waters, destined for Syria.

    Stephanou said the Republic of Cyprus had acted according to the provisions of a UN resolution, in communication with the UN, and that the safekeeping of the explosives had been assigned to the National Guard.

    "From the powerful explosion there were victims and huge destruction. There are twelve dead and 62 injured. Fifty wounded were given first aid and dismissed. Among the other twelve in hospital, two are very serious," he said.

    Stephanou said that the Minister of Defence and the National Guard Chief of Staff, assuming the responsibility, had resigned and would remain at their posts until replaced.

    The state services have been mobilised to tackle the situation, record and restore the damage, and take further action.

    The Council of Ministers was also briefed on the situation regarding the power station at Vassiliko and decided on measures to address the demand in electricity.

    "The Government calls on all the people to cooperation to tackle all these difficulties," he said.

    He also expressed sorrow and condolences to the families of the victims, adding that the Government has declared three days of mourning, from Monday till Wednesday. During this time, all flags on state buildings are flying half mast, and all public events are postponed. The funerals of the victims will be held at state expense.

    Asked why the explosives had remained there since 2009, Stephanou said that already the area is being examined by the Police with the cooperation of the National Guard, and experts have been summoned from abroad.

    "We are certain that a full and detailed investigation of all issues arising regarding the safekeeping of the material and how we reached this tragedy will be carried out," he said.

    Asked if there had been any warnings regarding the dangerousness of the material, Stephanou said that last week a meeting had been held at the Ministry of Defence and that there had been an examination on site the next day, and decisions had been taken regarding the protection of the explosives, which "unfortunately were not implemented due to lack of time."

    Regarding the problems in the power and water supply, Stephanou said the Council of Ministers has made a first evaluation of the situation and decisions have been taken.

    Asked about persons who are still missing since the explosion, Stephanou did not elaborate, noting that these were delicate issues.

    [02] PRESIDENT - EXPLOSION

    The President of the Republic Demetris Christofias stated he was shocked for the tragedy that occurred earlier this morning at the Naval Base Evangelos Florakis in Zygi, in the south eastern coast of Cyprus, following his visit at the site.

    In statements to the press, the President extended his condolences to the families and relatives of the victims.

    I want to express my sympathy and condolences to the families of the people who died, performing their duty selflessly. Material damages, as extensive as they might be, can be repaired, but human losses can not be retrieved, President Christofias said, adding that today is another black July day for the Republic of Cyprus.

    The President, who was accompanied by the Government Spokesman Stephanos Stephanou, visited the site at 10.30 am and presided over an ad-hoc meeting at the Naval Base.

    He added that the Chief of National Guard and the Chief of Police will brief in detail the extraordinary Council of Ministers at noon, and a statement by the Government Spokesman will follow.

    Asked about the situation on the ground in the Naval Base, the President called it a biblical disaster.

    [03] VICTIMS - HOSPITAL

    The bodies of four of the twelve dead from the explosion at the Evangelos Florakis Naval Base have been taken to the Nicosia General Hospital, and their families have been called in to identify them.

    Meanwhile, one of the two seriously injured in the explosion has been transferred from the Limassol General Hospital to the Nicosia General Hospital.

    According to members of the team set up at the relatives` reception centre at the Nicosia General Hospital, most of the relatives have already passed from the centre and others are still there.

    The team member, speaking on condition of anonymity, said the relatives were in shock, followed by rage, adding that the situation is very difficult for some of the relatives and most of them will need long-term support. Among the relatives are pregnant wives.

    Furthermore, among the dead are two 20-year-old twin brothers.

    [04] GREECE - STAFF - NAVAL BASE

    The Greek Ministry of Defence is sending a C-27 airplane with trained staff of the armed and security forces to assist the investigations of the Cypriot authorities, after the deadly explosion at the Evangelos Florakis Naval Base.

    The Greek staff is on its way to Cyprus at the request of the Cypriot Ministry of Defence.


    Cyprus News Agency: News in English Directory - Previous Article - Next Article
    Back to Top
    Copyright 1995-2016 HR-Net (Hellenic Resources Network). An HRI Project.
    All Rights Reserved.

    HTML by the HR-Net Group / Hellenic Resources Institute, Inc.
    cna2html v2.01 run on Monday, 11 July 2011 - 15:54:11 UTC