HR-Net - Hellenic Resources Network Compact version
Today's Suggestion
Read the Constitutions of Greece & Neighboring Nations
HomeAbout HR-NetNewsWeb SitesDocumentsOnline HelpUsage InformationContact us
Thursday, 14 December 2017
 
News
  Latest News (All)
     From Greece
     From Cyprus
     From Europe
     From Balkans
     From Turkey
     From USA
  Announcements
  World Press
  News Archives
Web Sites
  Hosted
  Mirrored
  Interesting Nodes
Documents
  Special Topics
  Treaties, Conventions
  Constitutions
  U.S. Agencies
  Cyprus Problem
  Other
Services
  Personal NewsPaper
  Greek Fonts
  Tools
  F.A.Q.
 

Cyprus News Agency: News in English, 12-05-27

Cyprus News Agency: News in English Directory - Previous Article - Next Article

From: The Cyprus News Agency at <http://www.cyna.org.cy>


CONTENTS

  • [01] Deputy Minister: Cyprus impedes Turkey's energy plans
  • [02] Blast-hit power plant in full operation by March 2013
  • [03] Minister announces Nicosia peripheral road project

  • [01] Deputy Minister: Cyprus impedes Turkey's energy plans

    Cyprus is presenting an obstacle for Turkey to monopolize its access to the wider region, Deputy Minister for European Affairs Andreas Mavroyiannis said.

    While speaking during an international conference in Heraclion, Crete, on energy security and supply in the EU, Mavroyiannis said that Cyprus, along with Israel and Greece are presenting an alternative for Europe's energy supply, tilting existing balances in the region.

    This, he said, is causing Turkey's reaction, since Ankara tries to emerge as the EU's indispensable partner in energy supply. Turkey, he said, tried to monopolize its access to the Middle East and beyond, but the presence of Cyprus alone presents an impediment to this aim, the Deputy Minister noted, adding that "if it were possible to sink Cyprus, they would do it".

    The conference, organized by the European Parliament Offices in Cyprus and Greece, in cooperation with the Prefecture of Crete, was titled "Security of energy supply in the EU. Main energy projects in Greece and Cyprus".

    Mavroyiannis also noted that Cyprus is committed to transfer natural gas to the island by 2014, regardless of recent developments concerning the discovery of hydrocarbon resources, diversifying thus its energy sources.

    [02] Blast-hit power plant in full operation by March 2013

    The Vassiliko power plant will be in full operation by March 2013, Cyprus Energy Authority Chairman Haris Thrasou has stated.

    In statements to CNA, Thrasou said that the power plant, which suffered a major blow on July last year, will reach next March its power production levels prior to the 2011 incident.

    Power production in the government controlled areas of Cyprus dealt a huge blow after the explosion of containers full of ammunition in the naval base "Evaggelos Florakis", on July 11, 2011. The blast destroyed nearby Vassiliko power plant, the island's main power station. The Energy Authority of Cyprus (EAC) depends ever since on mobile power production units to supplement energy loss, for as long as the reconstruction of the site continues.

    Thrasou added that mobile units are expected to be removed by the end of this year, ending thus a 6.96% levy on energy bills.

    "We are working in full swing, in order to secure sufficient power supply in the summer, and satisfy demand during the peak season" he said. By July 15, he went on, more reserve mobile units of 120 MW will be installed in the grid, in case of higher than predicted energy demand.

    Concerning the reconstruction of the Vasiliko power station, Thrasou said that part of the plant's unit 5 will be in place by June with its full operation scheduled for August. Energy output is expected at 220 MW, to which another 70 MW from unit 4 will be added, to contribute in existing energy production, especially during the summer period.

    [03] Minister announces Nicosia peripheral road project

    The government hopes to secure EU funding for building a 350 mln euros peripheral road in the capital, Nicosia, Minister of Communications and Works Efthymios Flourentzou announced on Sunday.

    In statements to CNA, the Minister said the 25 klm-long project necessitates EU funding in order to materialize. "Our goal is to do as much road infrastructure as possible, but this goal is being adversely affected by the financial crisis", he said.

    Flourentzou was also asked on reconstruction works at Faneromeni Avenue, in Larnaca, which came to a halt, and responded that problems were overcome and works are expected to commence soon.

    The Minister finally noted that the government is currently evaluating a proposal by Chinese investors concerning the old Larnaca airport site.

    The proposal submitted, foresees a 50-year long lease of the site, to turn in to a logistical center, and the investment is estimated at 600 mln euros.


    Cyprus News Agency: News in English Directory - Previous Article - Next Article
    Back to Top
    Copyright 1995-2016 HR-Net (Hellenic Resources Network). An HRI Project.
    All Rights Reserved.

    HTML by the HR-Net Group / Hellenic Resources Institute, Inc.
    cna2html v2.01 run on Sunday, 27 May 2012 - 13:39:10 UTC