Visit our Document Archive A)? GHT="50">
Compact version
Today's Suggestion
Read The "Macedonian Question" (by Maria Nystazopoulou-Pelekidou)
HomeAbout HR-NetNewsWeb SitesDocumentsOnline HelpUsage InformationContact us
Thursday, 5 December 2019
 
News
  Latest News (All)
     From Greece
     From Cyprus
     From Europe
     From Balkans
     From Turkey
     From USA
  Announcements
  World Press
  News Archives
Web Sites
  Hosted
  Mirrored
  Interesting Nodes
Documents
  Special Topics
  Treaties, Conventions
  Constitutions
  U.S. Agencies
  Cyprus Problem
  Other
Services
  Personal NewsPaper
  Greek Fonts
  Tools
  F.A.Q.
 

Cyprus PIO: News Update in English, 96-10-14

Cyprus Press and Information Office: News Updates in English Directory - Previous Article - Next Article

From: The Republic of Cyprus Press and Information Office Server at <http://www.pio.gov.cy/>

News Update

14/10/96


CONTENTS

  • [01] Government protests over new murder by Turkish troops
  • [02] Rifkind: Opportunity for breakthrough in Cyprus
  • [03] Euro-MPs protest at unprovoked new murder of a Greek Cypriot
  • [04] Peaceful march towards occupied town


[01] Government protests over new murder by Turkish troops

The Government of Cyprus will protest to international organisations about the cold-blooded murder on Sunday, (13.10.96) of a 58-year-old Greek Cypriot refugee by the Turkish occupying forces. A recourse to the UN Security Council is also considered.

Petros Kakoullis, a refugee living in the village of Avgorou in the southeastern part of Cyprus, was shot dead by two Turkish soldiers as he was collecting snails - together with his son-in-law-near the British base area of Dhekelia.

According to an eye witness, Kakoullis was shot twice as he stood with his arms in the air, ready to surrender to two Turkish soldiers who had shouted at him. The soldiers then approached closer and fired another shot as he lay wounded on the ground.

President of the Republic Glafcos Clerides said he is waiting for all the written depositions and the UN peacekeepers' report, on the basis of which the Government will decide if it will have a recourse to the UN Security Council.

He also said that he is redrafting his reply to Turkish Cypriot leader's letter of the previous month.

Foreign Minister Alecos Michaelides is meeting Monday (14.10.96) the Ambassadors of the five permanent members of the Security Council to launch an official protest.

[02] Rifkind: Opportunity for breakthrough in Cyprus

Britains' Foreign Secretary Malcolm Rifkind said he now saw an opportunity to seek a breakthrough in the Cyprus problem and believed 1997 would be an important year.

Replying to a question at a briefing meeting for overseas guests during the Conservative Party Conference in Bournemouth on Friday (11 October), Rifkind said that at a time when huge progress had been achieved in many of the great problems in the world, nothing has changed in Cyprus.

Thirty-seven per cent of Cypriot territory has been occupied by Turkish troops since Turkey invaded the island in 1974.

Increasingly both Greek and Turkish Cypriots are identifying not only the benefits of a negotiated agreement, but also some of the way forward. He said "highly relevant to this is Cyprus' application to join the European Union", he added.

Rifkind conceded that negotiations on resolving the Cyprus problem would be complex. They will be infinitely more complex if Cyprus remains a divided island, he said.

The Foreign Secretary said Britain did not intend to launch a separate initiative on Cyprus, "We are part of the efforts of the United Nations, of Europe and of others", he said.

However, Britain has a direct involvement owing to its historical link with Cyprus, its status as a guarantor power, the presence of two sovereign bases in the island and the large Greek Cypriot Community in the United Kingdom, he said. "So, I do intend to develop our contacts with the Cyprus Government and the representatives of the Turkish Cypriot community, he said.

[03] Euro-MPs protest at unprovoked new murder of a Greek Cypriot

Euro-MPs who are visiting Cyprus have strongly condemned the new murder of a Greek Cypriot man by the Turkish occupation troops.

British Labour Euro-MP Pauline Green, Leader of the Socialist group in the European Parliament, said the new murder "reinforces the horror of an island of this size divided in this way". She said it demonstrated that "we have to resolve this problem. It is now becoming more and more of a flashpoint".

The leader of the largest political group in the Euro-Parliament said the international community "must respond with firmer pressure on Turkey to solve the dreadful problem".

Dutch Euro-MP Jan Willem Bertens said this was "a premeditated murder, done on purpose to show there is no chance for peace. But we will fight back peacefully for the reunification of the island", he said.

Both Euro-MPs said the new murder by the Turks strengthens their determination to refuse all EU funds for Turkey.

Greek Euro-MP Alexandros Alavanos strongly denounced the new Turkish provocative act and said the matter would be raised in the European Parliament.

The Euro-MPs are in Cyprus to attend a seminar on Cyprus' harmonisation process with the EU "acquis communautaire".

[04] Peaceful march towards occupied town

A peace march of residents of the Turkish-occupied town of Morphou was organised Sunday (14.10.96).

Thousands of Morphou refugees participated and demonstrated their will to return to their homes, occupied by the Turkish army since summer 1974. They marched up to the UN-controlled buffer zone to view their homes from afar as they are not allowed by the occupation forces to return there.

President of the House of Representatives Spyros Kyprianou addressed the anti-occupation march and appealed to the refugees to remain calm, following the murder, the same morning, of a Greek Cypriot by the occupation regime.

Foreign guests, among them two British Members of Parliament, attended the peace march.

Speaking earlier, after a meeting with President Clerides, British Labour MP Alan Meale expressed disappointment because yet another year has passed without the reunification of the island. He also expressed anger over the brutal murder of Tasos Isaac and Solomos Solomou by Turkish occupation troops and extremists, during a peaceful demonstration last August, and the killings of National Guardsmen in the buffer zone by Turkish soldiers.

"We are angry with Turkey for refusing to actually get on with carrying out the UN resolutions and clearly not using the influence they have with Turkish Cypriot leader Rauf Denktash to try and have a solution", Meale said.

Also speaking after the meeting, Labour MP Ian Twinn said that by their presence here, British MPs wish to "show that we stand with all Cypriots from both communities for a free Cyprus where all Cypriots can live together again".


From the Republic of Cyprus Press and Information Office (PIO) Server at http://www.pio.gov.cy/


Cyprus Press and Information Office: News Updates in English Directory - Previous Article - Next Article
Back to Top
Copyright 1995-2016 HR-Net (Hellenic Resources Network). An HRI Project.
All Rights Reserved.

HTML by the HR-Net Group / Hellenic Resources Institute, Inc.
cypio2html v1.00 run on Monday, 14 October 1996 - 12:41:23