|Friday, 15 November 2019|
Cyprus PIO: News Update in English, 98-07-31
Cyprus Press and Information Office: News Updates in English Directory - Previous Article - Next Article
From: The Republic of Cyprus Press and Information Office Server at <http://www.pio.gov.cy/>
 Government expresses satisfaction with the European Court's decision"It is a very significant decision, which we believe will further assist the struggle of the Republic of Cyprus in its effort to convey the correct messages abroad for a just, viable and workable solution to the Cyprus problem," Government Spokesman Christos Stylianides stated yesterday.
Speaking at his daily press briefing, Mr Stylianides expressed the Government's satisfaction with the European Court of Human Rights decision to order Turkey to pay 300.000 Cyprus Pounds compensation to Titina Loizidou for the continued violation of her right to peaceful enjoyment of her property.
Stressing the significance of the decision the Government Spokesman said that "the ruling confirms that Turkey is an occupation force in Cyprus, it is responsible for the violation of the right to property and for depriving the right of freedom of movement, access and enjoyment of property." It also confirms that Loizidou" is still the rightful owner of her property", he added.
On her part Titina Loizidou in a written statement released yesterday, said that decision was important not only for her, but also for all Cypriots who have property in the occupied areas, but stressed that the inability to enjoy her property "could not be measured in cold numbers and monetary compensation."
"My property symbolises my life in Kyrenia" she said. She expressed the hope that the ruling will constitute "a pressure on Turkey for its continued occupation, so that all Cypriots will be able to enjoy their country in peace".
By contrast the Turkish Foreign Ministry in a statement issued yesterday dismissed the court's decision as "unfortunate." It also said that the court's judgement lacked the means of applicability and implementation and was a hindrance to solving the division of Cyprus.
The statement repeated the Turkish contention, which had been specifically rejected by the European Court, that Turkey could not be held responsible for property in the occupied areas of Cyprus.
It must be noted that since 1974 Turkey occupies more than a third of the island's territory and has imposed the division of the island through an occupation army of 35,000 Turkish troops.
The Attorney General of the Republic Mr Alecos Markides described the Turkish Foreign Ministry's rejection of the court's ruling as "brazen and simplistic".
Mr Markides stated last night that "If Turkey refuses to comply it places itself outside the Council of Europe".
 Government makes representations to UNGovernment Spokesman Christos Stylianides pointed out yesterday during his regular press briefing that UN representatives "may have contacts with the two sides in the framework of their mission," but added that "they should abide by UN Security Council Resolutions on the Cyprus issue and particularly resolutions 541 and 550".
Mr Stylianides was explaining the Government's position in relation to the issue of UN Representatives' contacts in the Turkish - occupied areas of the Republic.
The Spokesman said that the Government has protested to the UN about a meeting between UN Resident Representative Ann Hercus and the so-called foreign minister of the self-styled Turkish Cypriot regime in the occupied north of the island.
Mr Stylianides also said that UNFICYP's reaction was that the meeting "under no circumstances constituted any deviation from the established practice".
From the Republic of Cyprus Press and Information Office (PIO) Server at http://www.pio.gov.cy/