|Wednesday, 3 March 2021|
Cyprus PIO: Turkish Press and Other Media, 07-04-12
Cyprus Press and Information Office: Turkish Cypriot Press Review Directory - Previous Article - Next Article
From: The Republic of Cyprus Press and Information Office Server at <http://www.pio.gov.cy/>TURKISH PRESS AND OTHER MEDIA No.70/07 12.04.07
[A] NEWS ITEMS
[A] NEWS ITEMS
 Ercakica says that the opening of Limnitis crossing point is not on the agenda of the Turkish sideTurkish Cypriot daily AFRIKA newspaper (12.04.07) reports that Hasan Ercakica, spokesman of he Turkish Cypriot leader, said yesterday that the Ledra Street (Lokmaci) crossing point may open after the completion of the works at the buffer zone.
Responding to questions of illegal TAK news agency, Mr Ercakica noted that the contacts on the issue continue. Ercakica argued that the Turkish side has completed its preparations for the opening of the crossing point a few months ago and added: As soon as the works on the issue of the preparation of the buffer zone for the crossings are completed, the gate will be opened.
Asked to comment on reports in the Greek Cypriot press that the Ledra Street crossing point will be opened within 15 days, Mr Ercakica said that this may be the foresight of the United Nations Peace Keeping Force in Cyprus (UNFICYP) and added that such timetable does not exist in front of the Turkish side.
Responding to a question regarding the opening of occupied Limnitis area crossing point, Mr Ercakica said: Limnitis is not on our agenda. The priority is the de facto opening of Lokmaci for crossings.
 Statements by Rasit Pertev in New YorkTurkish Cypriot daily KIBRIS newspaper (12.04.07) reports that Rasit Pertev, advisor of the Turkish Cypriot leader Talat, met yesterday in New York with Lynn Pascoe, UN Secretary-Generals deputy responsible for political affairs. Mr Pertev conveyed to the UN official the views of the Turkish side regarding the Cyprus problem.
Replying to Ankara Anatolia news agencys questions after his meeting with Mr Pascoe, Mr Pertev said that he met Mr Pascoe for the first time after the latter came on duty and added that he visited him in order to wish to him for his new duties and discuss with him the Cyprus problem.
He alleged that no progress was made on the Gambari procedure during the past year because the Greek Cypriots did not want a process that would lead to an effective solution.
Mr Pertev argued, inter alia, the following:
We want this process to give results. Our effort is to reach a result in Cyprus. In any case we will be in these processes with all our efforts. Our running away from any process is out of the question. The Greek Cypriot administration brings about news that does not exist. It creates an artificial agenda. .
 Ertugruloglu says that Talat suggested immediate commencement of negotiations within the framework of the Annan Plan in order to be saved from the Gambari procedureTurkish Cypriot daily KIBRIS newspaper (12.04.07) reports that Tahsin Ertugruloglu, leader of the National Unity Party (UBP) has commented on the letter sent by the Turkish Cypriot leader Talat to the UN Secretary General regarding the Gambari procedure. In a written statement issued yesterday, Mr Ertugruloglu noted that in that letter the problems created for the Turkish Cypriots because of steps made without careful consideration were admitted and added that the immediate commencement of negotiations within the framework of the Annan plan was suggested so that the Turkish Cypriots are saved from the Gambari procedure.
 The results of the third stage of the population census have been announced; The press points out that the Turkish settlers are more than the Turkish CypriotsTurkish Cypriot daily KIBRIS newspaper (12.04.07) reports that the self-styled State Planning Organization announced yesterday the third stage of the data of the population and buildings census conducted last year in the occupied areas of Cyprus. According to these data, the total number of the TRNC citizens is 178,031 persons. 111,041 of them live in the occupied areas of Cyprus since they were born.
The largest age group within the de-jure population of the occupied area of the island is the group of the people the age of whose is between 20 and 24 years. The number of these people reaches 34,008 persons. The majority of the TRNC citizens in the de-jure population belongs to the age of 25-29.
The number of those belonging to this age reaches 15,806 persons. Men are more than women in all age groups of the de-jure population, except the age of 25-29, both in the total population and in the TRNC citizens.
Furthermore, Turkish Cypriot daily KIBRISLI newspaper (12.04.07) refers to the issue under the title The de-jure population living in the TRNC: 256 thousand 207! and the subtitle Turk comes and Turks goes! The paper notes, inter alia, the following:
According to these data, the number of those who came afterwards in Cyprus is 27.081 persons bigger than the number of those who live in Cyprus from the day they were born. Experts, who note that the number of the population who came afterwards is not bigger than the local population in no country of the world, say that we are the first in the world who do this and that we come first. In case the democratic rules according to which the majority administrates the minority are applied in this situation, those who came afterwards should administrate the country and not those who were born in Cyprus. Those who do not know that we are very sincerely committed to the Turk goes, Turk comes philosophy, think that we complain about this situation. .
Referring to the same issue, Turkish Cypriot daily SOZCU newspaper (12.04.07) reports that when the State Planning Organization announced yesterday the results of the 2006 Buildings and Population Census, it showed that the population changes against the Turkish Cypriots.
Finally, Turkish Cypriot daily ORTAM newspaper (12.04.07) reports that the Republican Turkish Party (CTP) administration violated the demographic structure more than the National Unity Party (UBP) Denktas administration. The paper notes that in four years the CTP administration brought from Turkey more population than the UBP and Rauf Denktas had brought in 22 years. The paper refers to the issue under the title 44,344 persons in four years!
 Ihsanoglu says that the OIC supports the lifting of the isolation of the Turkish CypriotsTurkish Cypriot daily KIBRIS newspaper (12.04.07) reports that Ekmeleddin Ihsanoglu, General Secretary of the Islamic Conference Organization, has stated that they want the lifting of the isolation of the TRNC.
Mr Ihsanoglu addressed a conference at the Iranian Ministry of Foreign Affairs on the issue of the Opportunities and problems which the Islamic World faces. Replying to a comment by the ambassador of the Republic of Cyprus to Tehran, Mr Kapsos, who noted that the decisions of the OIC on the Cyprus problem are contrary to the UN Security Councils resolutions, Mr Ihsanoglu claimed that OIC does not act contrary to the UN resolutions and asked from the government of the Republic of Cyprus to make steps on the issue of the lifting of the isolations on the TRNC.
He added: We, as organization, support the TRNC. We are against inhuman policies. Representatives of some international organizations meet with the Turkish people of north Cyprus. And we cooperate with them within this framework.
 Gul to discuss the Cyprus problem and the conflict between Soyer and General Kivrikoglu during his illegal visit to the occupied part of CyprusUnder the title Gül to meet both Talat and K1vr1kolu in KKTC , Turkish daily TODAY´S ZAMAN newspaper (12.04.07), internet version) reports the following:
Foreign Minister Abdullah Gül is scheduled to hold separate talks with both Turkish Cypriot President Mehmet Ali Talat and the commander of the Turkish military stationed in northern Cyprus today, when he arrives in the island for a special program, accompanied by his spouse, Hayrünnisa Gül.
Gül will depart from Ankara today onboard a private plane, heading to the Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus (KKTC) where he will participate in two separate ceremonies for launching of private sector investments there. Before his participation in those ceremonies he will today hold talks, first with Talat and then with Lt. Gen. Hayri K1vr1kolu, commander of the Turkish Cypriot Peace Forces Command (KTBK), sources close to the KKTC presidential office told Today's Zaman, while noting that there was no special agenda for the meeting between Talat and Gül.
Last month's tension between Turkish Cypriot Prime Minister Ferdi Sabit Soyer and K1vr1kolu is expected to be on the agenda of their talks, as the issue remains a fresh one with Talat, who only last week unwaveringly defended Soyer, who at the time exchanged harsh remarks with K1vr1kolu.
The tension surfaced at a reception in mid-March when Lt. Gen. K1vr1kolu refused to shake hands with Soyer because earlier in the same day at the annual assembly of Soyer's Republican Turks' Party (CTP) the Turkish national anthem was not sung, though it is also accepted as the national anthem of the KKTC. At the time CTP Secretary-General Ömer Kalyoncu made clear there was no legal obligation to sing the national anthem at the annual assemblies of a political party.
Delivering a conference in Ankara, in response to a question on the issue, Talat first of all said that the national anthem was not sung at political party assemblies in the KKTC and noted that the flag was still raised during those assemblies. "I know some of you will be angry with what I say. The Turkish flag there is not the flag of the Turkish Republic, but the flag of the Turkish Cypriots. The Turkish flag used to hang until [today's] KKTC flag was accepted," he said then.
Tonight Gül will attend a reception to be held to mark the publishing of a new daily in northern Cyprus, the "Star K1br1s," owned by the Turkish Cypriot entrepreneur Ali Özmen Safa. Both Talat and Soyer, as well as the Turkish commanders on the island, will also attend the same reception. Tomorrow morning, he will participate in a ceremony for the opening of the Merkür Otel, owned by the Akfen Group of Turkey, before departing the island.
 Canan Oztoprak replies to the criticism of the Turkish media on the issue of the history booksTurkish Cypriot daily HALKIN SESI newspaper (12.04.07) reports that Canan Oztoprak, self-styled minister of education of the breakaway regime, has said that no financial aid by the EU was taken for changing the history books taught in the Turkish Cypriot schools.
Speaking yesterday at a press conference for the Turkish media, Mrs Oztoprak replied to the criticism which took place in the Turkish press that the method of celebrating Turkeys 23 April National Sovereignty and Children Day has changed in the Turkish Cypriot schools.
She said that they realized that these reports are due to lack of information or to the fact that they could not explain what they did as a ministry. She noted: Efforts are exerted for giving the impression that we have made concessions from our patriotism or the great respect and commitment which the Turkish Cypriots feel for the flag and the Great Leader Ataturk. Some speculations are also made regarding the fact that our flags do not exist in our books or that they had been taken out. These are not true.
Mrs Oztoprak noted that the TRNC and the Turkish flags as well as the Speech of Ataturk to the Youth exist in the beginning of all the books and added: We feel proud about this.