|Saturday, 17 March 2018|
Cyprus PIO: Turkish Cypriot and Turkish Media Review, 12-09-11
Cyprus Press and Information Office: Turkish Cypriot Press Review Directory - Previous Article - Next Article
From: The Republic of Cyprus Press and Information Office Server at <http://www.pio.gov.cy/>TURKISH CYPRIOT AND TURKISH MEDIA REVIEW No. 176/12 11.9.12
[A] TURKISH CYPRIOT / TURKISH PRESS
[A] TURKISH CYPRIOT / TURKISH PRESS
 Tension in the relations between Eroglu and KucukTurkish Cypriot daily Kibris newspaper (11.09.12) reports that Turkish Cypriot leader Dervis Eroglu has reacted to the statement made, the day before yesterday, by the self-styled prime minister Irsen Kucuk, who speaking at the National Unity Party's (UBP) congress in occupied Morfou had said that he saved the UBP from being a "family party".
In statements yesterday, Eroglu noted that "UBP was a big family anyway" and added that he signed yesterday the decision for self-styled minister of interior Nazim Cavusoglu becoming acting "health minister" and for the appointment of Mutlu Atasayan to the post of "minister of education". Eroglu expressed his sorrow because the issue was exploited at UBP's congress in Morfou. Eroglu was referring to Kucuk's statement who said that he had sent the above-mentioned decision to Eroglu, but the latter did not sign it.
Eroglu said that he had joined the UBP "family" in 1975 when the party was established. He added that he was "elected" "MP" in 1976 and served as "MP", "minister", party chairman and "prime minster" for 34 years. He noted that he is "president of the republic" for the past two years after winning the "elections" as candidate from the UBP.
Eroglu added: "I think that the prime minister referred to us when he said that 'I made the UBP stop being a family party'. However, this is extremely wrong. I ran for the presidential elections as candidate of the UBP. I have never been a candidate of any other party. I did not go to another party trying to attract UBP members. I started politics within the UBP and until today, I am continuously in the UBP".
Under the title "I have never abandoned UBP, nor I have tried to divide it", Turkish Cypriot daily Afrika newspaper (11.09.12) reports that with the above statement, Eroglu recalled to Kucuk his past. In the "elections" of 1990, Kucuk abandoned UBP and became a candidate in a joint list of three parties, the TKP-CTP-YDP, but he was not "elected". Afterwards Kucuk established the Social Development Party (TAP) and joined the opposition against the UBP. However, afterwards he returned to the UBP when things did not go well for him, notes Afrika.
 Mutlu Atasayan was appointed "minister of education"Turkish Cypriot daily Gunes newspaper (11.09.12) reports that Mutlu Atasayan, "MP" with the National Unity Party, was appointed "minister of education, youth and sports".
In addition, Turkish Cypriot daily Kibris newspaper (11.09.12) commenting on the issue, writes that this is the third "minister of education" appointed in the last two years in the breakaway regime.
Atasayan is taking the place of Kemal Durust who was dismissed of his "position" by the self-styled prime minister Irsen Kucuk.
 Reaction against butchering animals to celebrate Caluda's victory in occupied MorfouTurkish Cypriot daily Kibris newspaper (11.09.12) reports that Tomris Guven, chairman of the "Animals' Protection Association", has described as "unacceptable" the fact that in some opening ceremonies or victory celebrations animals are sacrificed "in front of everybody" in the occupied area of Cyprus. In statements to Kibris, Guven condemned yesterday the fact that an animal had been sacrificed in front of everybody to celebrate the victory of Ahmet Caluda at National Unity Party's (UBP) congress in occupied Morfou. Guven pointed out that children were also present during the butchering.
Noting that such actions had stopped in 1994, Guven said that after a long time such an action happened at UBP's congress in occupied Morfou. "We describe this bloody action made among the people as atrocity, not celebration", said Guven adding that butchering animals "with applauses and joy among cries for victory is contrary to us".
 Opposition parties in the occupied are of Cyprus undertook a common initiative to push pressure for early elections; Main goal, the replacement of the "UBP government"Under the front-page title: "Common goal: Early Elections", Turkish Cypriot daily Yeni Duzen (11.09.12) reports that the leaders of the three opposition parties in the occupied areas of Cyprus, that is the Republican Turkish Party-United Forces (CTP-BG), the Communal Democracy Party (TDP) and the Democratic Party (DP), decided yesterday, during a meeting they held at the headquarters of the CTP, to take a common action "in order to be discarded from the UBP government which lead the country to a chaos".
As the paper writes, the leaders of the opposition parties announced that they will work with all their strength in order for early elections to take place.
In statements to reporters prior the meeting, the chairman of the CTP-BG, Ozkan Yorgancioglu underlined the fact that all the social sectors in the "country" confront several problems and accused the "UBP government" that instead of trying to find solution to these problems, is preparing for the UBP congress.
Referring to the dismissal of two so-called ministers by the so-called prime minister Irsen Kucuk, Yorgancioglu said that this points out that the "UBP government's policy" has collapsed. He then added that the opposition's duty is to look for recovering ways in order to save the "country" from this situation.
He further said that on Wednesday the three opposition parties will gather again in order to determine a common road map.
Also speaking, the chairman of the Democratic Party (DP), Serdar Denktas stated, inter alia, that the UBP is the source of the problems the "country" confronts.
Pointing out the bad administration of the "country", Serdar Denktas said that the DP answered positively to the calling of CTP to undertake a common initiative in order to put pressure for early elections in the "country".
Supporting that the only remedy for the "country's future" is the early elections; Denktas said that they will do their best in order for the "assembly" and the "government" to be replaced.
Finally, the secretary-general of the Communal Democracy Party (TDP), Cemal Ozyigit said that this "government" is over and that they should take steps to get rid them.
Accusing the "UBP government" for not keeping any of the promises it gave to the "people", Ozyigit said that this "government" takes the title of the "champion" for not keeping its promises. He also expressed their readiness to contribute to this effort. Throwing away this "government", as he said.
 Tourism of the occupied area of Cyprus is advertised by the famous London black capsTurkish Cypriot daily Kibris newspaper (11.09.12) reports that the breakaway regime took another step in introducing tourism of the occupied area of Cyprus to the world by putting advertisements at the famous black caps (black taxis) which are "a symbol" of London", according to the paper.
In addition an advertisement of the "north Cyprus tourism", under the slogan "simply north Cyprus", is shown at the invoice issued by the taxi drivers who also distribute tourism brochures to their clients.
Kibris writes that this is taking place in the framework of the tourism campaign which has been launched since a year by the self-styled ministry of tourism. According to the paper, the advertisement of tourism of the occupied area of Cyprus, which has started just after the end of the Olympic Games in London, is placed in 105 caps that are gathered as a convoy at Stradford area, which is near the Olympic village.
 The YKP demands the return of the Armenian church in occupied Lefkosia to the Armenians of CyprusTurkish Cypriot daily Yeni Duzen (11.09.12) reports that the New Cyprus Party (YKP), issuing a written statement yesterday, on the decision which was taken regarding the Armenian church (located in occupied Lefkosia's Arabahmet area), to be given to a "university" for use, to be revised, and instead, to be returned back to the Armenians of Cyprus, together with the right of use.
The YKP, points out in the statement that the church is one of the few cultural heritages left untouched today and underlines that it is unacceptable for a church to be restored and given to a "university".
The YKP calls also the "administration board" of the Vakif Foundation to revise its decision and give back to the Armenians who live in Cyprus, the church as well as the right of use it.
The statement points out that the YKP will be the pursuer of this process in Cyprus and in the international arena.
 Eroglu met with the British High CommissionerTurkish Cypriot daily Gunes newspaper (11.09.12) reports that the Turkish Cypriot leader Dervis Eroglu met with the British High Commissioner to Lefkosia, Matthew Kidd.
According to the paper, the "permanent undersecretary" of the self-styled presidency and Eroglu's spokesman Osman Ertug were also presented at the meeting.
 Journalists in Turkey on trial for alleged links to the outlawed Kurdistan Communities UnionTurkish daily Hurriyet Daily news (11.09.12) reports that some 44 people, many of them journalists, went on trial in Istanbul's Caglayan 14th High Criminal Court yesterday, for having alleged links to the outlawed Kurdistan Communities Union (KCK) amid protests.
At the beginning of the hearing the chief judge ruled to start the case in the afternoon, as the order in the courtroom was not maintained by the lawyers. The suspects and the audience left the courtroom chanting slogans such as: "The free press cannot be silenced."
In the afternoon the suspects were identified by the court board and when their names were registered all of the suspects replied "Ez li virim" (meaning "I am present" in Kurdish). The chief judge accepted their statements, unlike in all previous KCK trials.
Prosecutors accuse the 44 defendants of crimes including "membership of an armed organization," which is punishable by up to 15 years in prison.
At least 12 of the suspects face up to 22 and half years in prison on charges of "forming and running an armed organization".
Ankara says the KCK, the alleged urban wing of the Kurdistan Workers' Party (PKK), wants to replace Turkish government institutions in Kurdish-majority South-eastern Anatolia with its own political structures.
A number of Peace and Democracy Party (BDP) and Republican People's Party (CHP) deputies also attended the hearing. The case will continue today.
 Turkish-Iraqi ties set to hit new low over persona non grata crisisUnder the above title, Turkish daily Today's Zaman newspaper (11.09.12) reports that Turkey is bracing for a diplomatic crisis with neighbouring Iraq after its government recently approved a proposal demanding replacement of the top Turkish diplomat in the disputed city of Kirkuk, following a controversial visit there by Foreign Minister Ahmet Davutoglu.
The Turkish government, according to well-placed sources, is prepared to strike back if Iraq makes its plans official and, in turn, declare the Iraqi consul general in Istanbul "persona non grata."
The envoy crisis, which comes amid already high tensions between the two neighbours over the trial of Iraq's fugitive Vice President Tariq al-Hashemi, is set to bring relations to new lows. Speaking at a press conference in Ankara on Monday, a day after an Iraqi court sentenced him to death on charges of running death squads, Hashemi rejected the ruling as a politically motivated sham and signalled that he would continue to stay in Turkey -- a move likely to anger Iraq's Shiite-led government.
Last week, the Iraqi Cabinet approved a proposal presented by a commission set up to canvass possible measures in the wake of Davutoglu's Aug. 2 visit to Kirkuk. The Iraqi government has protested the visit, saying Turkey had not sought formal permission for it, thus violating Iraqi sovereignty. The commission was tasked with studying the circumstances of the visit and presenting recommendations to the government on what measures to take in response. The commission's report was taken up at a Cabinet meeting in Baghdad last week and its recommendations, including one for the replacement of Turkish Consul General in Kirkuk Muhittin Ahmet Yazal, was endorsed during that meeting.
The commission seeks Yazal's replacement on the grounds that he violated diplomatic norms by welcoming a foreign delegation without notifying the Iraqi government.
Sources told Today's Zaman that Ankara is set to reject any demand from Iraq to recall Yazal. If Iraq insists on its demand and declares the Turkish consul general, persona non grata -- the diplomatic term for unwelcome person -- in response to Turkish refusal to recall him, then Ankara will respond in kind and declare the Iraqi consul general in Istanbul persona non grata without delay.
 Paper reviles the bitter cost of fighting between PKK and the Turkish militaryTurkish daily Hurriyet Daily News (11.09.12) reports that 2012 has been a bloody year so far in the battle between the Turkish military and the PKK as hundreds of militants and dozens of soldiers have been killed during the battle.
Some 373 "terrorists have been neutralized" since February amid the deaths of 88 soldiers so far this year, the chief of General Staff said yesterday, noting that the military had conducted 974 operations within the country's borders alone since April.
The statement came hours after two soldiers were killed and seven others were wounded in clashes in the eastern province of Hakkari.
Amid numerous recent clashes, however, the military brass refuted widespread claims that the Turkish armed forces were "stranded" in military bases and posts.
"Our operators are on active duty in rural areas," the chief of General Staff said in a written statement. "Between April 1 and Sept. 1, 400 operations were conducted in Hakkari, 328 in Sirnak, 114 in Siirt and 132 in Tunceli."
During these operations, 373 "terrorists were neutralized," according to the statement.
"Some 330 terrorists were killed, 10 were wounded and 33 were captured alive, bringing the total number of neutralized terrorists inside the country to 373 from February to the end of August," it said.
The same statement said 88 military personnel were killed this year as of Sept. 6. Fifty-four of those killed were professional army members, the statement added, in response to criticism that people on compulsory military service were sent out on operations without proper training. TURKISH AFFAIRS SECTION