|Thursday, 22 March 2018|
Cyprus PIO: Turkish Cypriot and Turkish Media Review, 12-10-09
Cyprus Press and Information Office: Turkish Cypriot Press Review Directory - Previous Article - Next Article
From: The Republic of Cyprus Press and Information Office Server at <http://www.pio.gov.cy/>TURKISH CYPRIOT AND TURKISH MEDIA REVIEW No. 195/12 9.10.12
[A] TURKISH CYPRIOT / TURKISH PRESS
[A] TURKISH CYPRIOT / TURKISH PRESS
 Atun says what is important is the economic program not the congress; Kasif implies that Ankara forced Atun to support KucukTurkish Cypriot daily Kibris newspaper (09.10.12) reports that Sunat Atun, self-styled minister of economy and energy of the breakaway regime in the occupied area of Cyprus, told Kibris yesterday that no one's interests should be put above the unity of the party and the "strong position of the state".
Replying to the criticism regarding the 2013-15 economic program of the breakaway regime, Atun argued that all layers and representatives of the breakaway regime have contributed to this program and recalled that they carried out four workshops with the participation of 187 volunteers from civilian organizations, professional and economic organizations, as well as economists and academicians. He argued that 90% of the views of the participants were included in this program.
When he was asked to comment on the views of some trade unions and other organizations, which refer to the imposition of an economic package [by Turkey], Atun alleged that this program could not be called "package". He said that it could have been called package, if it had come from somewhere else and some other said "you must implement this". He noted that they have been working since January on this economic program and that taking as basis this program, for the last 20 days they have been preparing their joint economic "protocol" with Turkey.
Referring to the forthcoming congress of the National Unity Party (UBP), Atun noted that he would support self-styled prime minister Irsen Kucuk for the presidency of UBP, contrary to what he had stated in the past. Atun expressed the belief that after the 21st of October all the "MPs" of the UBP and all its organs will be united and act for "TRNC's" future and UBP's unity.
Kibris (09.10.12) reports also that Ahmet Kasif, also candidate for UBP's presidency, criticized Atun and accused him of inconsistency, because in the past he had declared that he would support him for UBP's presidency, but now changed his mind announcing that he would support Kucuk. In a written statement issued yesterday, Kasif argued that serious democratic problems exist within the UBP and that efforts are exerted to direct the result of the "election" for the presidency of the party by using threats, oppression and suggestions.
According to Turkish Cypriot daily Afrika newspaper (09.10.12), Kasif said that Atun changed his mind after some contacts he had held and "because of some elements which had been put in front of him". Afrika argues that with this statement, Kasif pointed at Ankara. The paper writes that after holding contacts in Ankara, Atun abandoned Kasif by stating that "the rejection of the economic program by some friends saddened me".
 KTOS goes on strike in 17 schools due to lack of teachers and increasing number of studentsTurkish Cypriot daily Kibris newspaper (09.10.12) reports that Turkish Cypriot Primary School Teachers' Trade Union (KTOS) carried out a three-hour strike yesterday in 17 schools in the occupied area of the Republic of Cyprus. According to the paper, the directors of the schools said that the lack of teachers constitutes a serious problem for the education in the occupied area of the Republic of Cyprus and pointed out to the increased number of students during the past few years.
Some teachers in occupied Karavas village's primary school said that the children of the employees of the hotels in the area and the hotels which are under construction want to register in their school and added that the locals prefer not to register in this school, because of the crowded classes. The number of the students in the school reached 400. Last year 56 children graduated from this school, whereas 120 new children were registered for this year.
Kibris reports also that some parents in occupied Rizokarpasso village stated that if the problem of lack of teachers is not overcome, they will send their children to Greek Cypriot schools in the government-controlled area of Cyprus.
 Four weekly flights will be held in 2013 from Poland to occupied CyprusTurkish Cypriot daily Kibris newspaper (09.10.12) reports that Akmina Travel Club organized a premiere night for the travel agents and hoteliers from Poland that bring tourists to the occupied area of Cyprus with the Citron travel tour operator established in Poland in 2011.
Unal Ustel, the self-styled minister of tourism, environment and culture of the breakaway regime, and Ertan Tosun, representing Turkey's aid delegation, were among the participants in the dinner.
Addressing the dinner, Ismail Abidin, chairman of the administrative council of Akmina Travel and Citron Travel, said that they launched flights from Warsaw to the occupied area of Cyprus in 2011, that they brought 3.500 Polish tourists to occupied Cyprus in 2011 and 8.000 in 2012. He noted that in 2013 they will have four flights every week from three Polish cities.
 Gurcafer resigned from his positionTurkish Cypriot daily Star Kibris (09.10.12) reports that the Turkish Cypriot businessman and chairman of the Turkish Cypriots building contractors association, who is living in the free areas of the Republic of Cyprus, issued a written statement yesterday and stated that he has resigned from his duties since August 26.
Gurcafer stated that as soon as he came to "south Cyprus" to live, he has sent a resignation letter to the Turkish Cypriot building contractors association and added that he has transfer his duties to Faik Dagasti, deputy chairman of the association.
 Escalation of tension between Turkey and Syria; Gul: Worst-case scenario occurring in SyriaAnkara Anatolia news agency (08.10.12) reported that Turkey and Syria traded on Monday fresh artillery rounds for the sixth consecutive day as tension along the two country's border mounted to risk escalation of conflict wider in the region.
Hatay Governor's Office said that a mortar shell landed at a vacant area, 2 km south of Hacipasa hamlet of Altinozu town at 3 p.m. on Monday and was retaliated immediately by Turkish border forces. The office said that there were no casualties and the area where the mortar shell hit was not a settlement area.
Meanwhile, Turkish Foreign Minister Ahmet Davutoglu called Nabil Al-Arabi, secretary general of the Arab League, and briefed him about Syrian attacks on Turkey.
Arab League Deputy Secretary General Ahmed Bin Huli said that parties talked about the violation Syria had been making and discussed what to do in order the crisis would not go out of control. Huli said that the tension along the Turkish-Syrian border made things worse and called on Syria to stop the crisis which the Arab League was deeply concerned about.
Meanwhile, Turkish daily Hurriyet Daily News (09.10.12) reports that the Turkish President Abdullah Gul warned yesterday that the boiling tension along the Turkish-Syrian border is a "realization of the worst scenario" and expressed hopes that transition will occur sooner rather than later in the Arab Republic.
"The worst-case scenario is happening in Syria at the moment. Syrian people are suffering and the developments there affect Turkey. We have citizens who have lost their lives," Gul told reporters, referring to the killing of five Turks in the border district of Akcakale last week as a result of Syrian shelling. Ties between Ankara and Damascus, which have been tense since the March 2011 start of Syria's crisis, worsened sharply after the incident.
"In such a moment, we are always in consultations with our government and chief of General Staff. Whatever necessary is being done, as you know. And it will continue to be done," Gul said.
Gul also said the situation in Syria could not continue in the present way. "Sooner or later, a [political] transition will occur [in Syria]. But our wish is the realization [of this transition] before more blood is shed and before Syria is ruined. I am of the opinion that the international community should actively be involved."
 Erdogan: "Turkey has to be ready for war"Turkish daily Today's Zaman (08.10.12) reported the state-owned Anatolia news agency reported on Monday that the Turkish Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan has called on his people to be prepared for a possible war with neighboring Syria if it becomes necessary.
"One has to be ready for war at every moment, if it becomes necessary. If you are not ready, you are not a state and you cannot be a nation. The state that is not ready for war at any moment is not fully developed. Turkey must be ready for war no matter what," Erdogan said in a speech on Sunday.
(?) Erdogan urged the Syrian regime to stop the violence against its own citizens and cease shelling Turkish territory.
During a speech on Sunday, Erdogan reiterated his country's stance once more, adding that Turkey does not want war, and warned Syria not to test its determination. "Nobody should attempt to test this nation's [Turkey's] sensitivity" Erdogan said, adding that Turkey should be ready for warfare with Syria and for that there is a memorandum in hand.
Commenting on the main opposition Republican People's Party's (CHP) policy on Syria, Erdogan said that the Turkish government would continue to do whatever needs to be done in order to ensure national security.
The CHP voted against the recent motion in Parliament giving the government the authority to send troops to Syria if necessary, arguing that it does not specify in which instances this parliamentary authority could be used. However, officials of the ruling Justice and Development Party (AK Party) said that the use of the mandate would be limited to Syria.
Charging that the CHP's stance on the Syria issue crosses a moral line, Erdogan harshly criticized the main opposition party, saying it took sides with Syrian President Bashar al-Assad following the October 3 attack that caused deaths on Turkish territory.
 Turkey hit PKK camps in northern IraqTurkish daily Hurriyet Daily News (09.10.12) reports that military sources told Agence France-Presse yesterday, that Turkish jets bombed Kurdistan Workers' Party (PKK) hideouts in northern Iraq overnight on October 7.
At least 12 F-16 fighter jets took off from the Diyarbak?r base in south-eastern Turkey and targeted four camps in the Kandil Mountains and the surrounding area, where the leadership of the PKK is believed to be hiding, the sources added. The latest operation comes after the Turkish government asked Parliament last week to renew the mandate for its armed forces to attack Kurdish bases in Iraq for another year, as clashes between the two sides have sharply escalated.
The PKK's camps located on Kandil and Zap mountains were targeted in order to neutralize anti-aircraft batteries based there, according to Dogan news agency. The PKK's field leaders, Murat Karay?lan, Cemil Bay?k and Duran Kalkan, are currently believed to be in the camps, which have been heavily bombed by the Turkish Air Force, the Dogan report said.
(?). TURKISH AFFAIRS SECTION