|Monday, 23 April 2018|
Cyprus PIO: Turkish Cypriot and Turkish Media Review, 13-03-15
Cyprus Press and Information Office: Turkish Cypriot Press Review Directory - Previous Article - Next Article
From: The Republic of Cyprus Press and Information Office Server at <http://www.pio.gov.cy/>TURKISH CYPRIOT AND TURKISH MEDIA REVIEW No. 53/13 15/3/13
[A] TURKISH CYPRIOT / TURKISH PRESS
[A] TURKISH CYPRIOT / TURKISH PRESS
 Kasoulide's interview to daily MilliyetUnder the title: "Turkey and Greek should get involved in the process", Turkish daily Milliyet (15.03.13) publishes an exclusive interview, the first interview given by the Foreign Minister of the new government of the Republic of Cyprus, Ioannis Kasoulides, to the paper's correspondent in Brussels, Guven Ozalp.
According to Milliyet, while the division of Cyprus continues for 40 years, the "Greek Cypriot administration", as the paper calls the Republic of Cyprus, intends to draw a "different profile".
Kasoulides in his interview underlined the need for the changing of the method followed so far to the Cyprus negotiation talks. He pointed out that the Republic of Cyprus will sent during the forthcoming months clear signals to Turkey and expressed hopes that these signals would not remain unanswered.
Asked to reply to the question: "The expectation is that the negotiations will be launched soon; however, I consider that the economic crisis will prolong the process", Kasoulides replied as follows: "At this stage, the priority is the economy. We will proceed with the Cyprus problem as well. On this issue, we do not have a precondition; still, we have to wait for a while. It is obvious that the negotiations so far did not yield anywhere. Therefore, it is necessary to look through how the new negotiations process will go on. The negotiation talks should be carry out on different levels. They could be carried out on the level of the special representatives of the two communities. Turkey and Greece which are guarantor countries, could also designate their special representatives. There will not be any problem, since at the negotiation talks, there would not be the Cyprus Republic, but the communities. I believe that we are hiding behind an illusion towards the direction that everything are depended on the two communities. But, we all know that this is not true. Why we shall continue to behave as if everything depends on the two communities? And why all the involving sides shall not gathered?".
Kasoulides went on and said that he does not believe that the negotiation talks should be re-launched from the scratch as regards the content; he however said, that a new beginning should be made towards the procedure and the method.
On the question: "Why do you want the guarantor countries to participate to the process?", Kasoulides said: "Not all. The UK has nothing to say on the issue. However, I believe that Turkey's participation to the process will be beneficial".
Kasoulides said also that the methodology to be followed at the negotiation talks is very important, adding that the methodology used in the past was wrong.
Answering to the question whether he would like the EU to undertake a direct role in the new process to begin, Kasoulides said that the EU' contribution could be helpful and beneficial to the efforts exerted by the UN. He pointed out that the UN will continue to have the authority.
On the question: "Turkey attaches importance to Anastasiades' "yes" at the Annan plan during 2004. Is this "yes" still alive?", Foreign Minister Kasoulides replied as follows: "Nobody denies his position during that period, still, neither Anastasiades, nor another politician can ignore people's decision and bypass it. Still, as I have said, there is goodwill.
Replying to the question what are his expectations from Turkey ahead of the new process, Kasoulides said: "it is the duty of the two sides to change the atmosphere into which the negotiation talks are taking place. There is an exacerbation on the developments between Turkey and Cyprus. This is not beneficial, neither for Turkey nor for Cyprus. Let's make an effort to improve this environment. By leaving behind the known rhetoric, we should be more pragmatic and we should focus to the result", Kasoulides said.
 Talat said that starting from scratch the negotiations is dangerousTurkish Cypriot daily Yeni Duzen (15.03.13) publishes an interview with former Turkish Cypriot leader Mehmet Ali Talat in a television programme on the developments of the Cyprus problem.
According to a press release issued by Talat's office, Talat said that he believes that newly elected Cyprus President Anastasiades will be more courageous in order to find a solution on the Cyprus problem, however, it is dangerous that they have not said that they will continue the negotiations from the point that they were stopped. Talat also said that although former President Christofias wanted a solution, he could not exhibit sufficient courage at the negotiations as well as at the referendum, adding that Christofias was afraid of being accused off as "friend of Turks, atheist and communist".
Replying to a question whether or not he will be the negotiator if Turkey transfers to him the duty of the negotiator, Talat said that Turkish Cypriot leader Dervis Eroglu is the negotiator and Turkey cannot appoint someone else like this. Talat added that in case Eroglu transfers to him the duty of the negotiator, it is not possible to accept it.
Talat said that he cannot know how much Turkey will urge Eroglu, adding that what is important is to have results and to work with heart and soul for solution and not to repeat what they want for solution. Otherwise, the intentional statements of propaganda would be said as every time and the issue would be dragged.
Talat stressed that the most important problem of the Turkish Cypriots is the Cyprus problem, because of the Cyprus problem, the economy life in the occupied area is not going well.
 KTTO claims that the so-called embargoes have no reasonAccording to Turkish Cypriot daily Yeni Duzen (15.03.13), the Chairman of the Turkish Cypriot Chamber of Commerce Gunay Cerkez, during a meeting with the Ambassador of Hungary in Cyprus Balazs Botos, said that the so-called embargoes that subject to the Turkish Cypriots have not any reason.
Reminding that the Green Line Regulation is a temporary arrangement, Cerkez claimed that the EU did not keep its promise to the Turkish Cypriots and as a result the trust of the Turkish Cypriots to the EU has been shaken. Finally, Cerkez said that it is important a dialogue between the Chamber and the Embassy of Hungary to be obtained.
 Romanian FM details inking of strategic partnership with TurkeyTurkish daily Today's Zaman (online, 14.03.13) with the above title reports that the visiting Romanian Foreign Minister Titus Corlatean said his country has hammered out details of an action plan for strategic cooperation with Turkey, stressing that concrete measures in different fields will be implemented to enhance bilateral cooperation.
"We marked a new stage of our strategic cooperation by ensuring its practical dimension, through the signing of the Action Plan for the Strategic Partnership," he said in an exclusive interview with Today's Zaman on his first official visit to Turkey as Foreign Minister.
"Our attention was focused on the ways to develop cooperation in fields such as trade and investments, energy, transportation and culture," Corlatean added.
The minister explained that both countries have agreed to boost bilateral trade volume to $10 billion in coming years with special emphasis given to investments coming from Turkey. "We have not reached yet the full potential of our cooperation," Corlatean remarked, adding that he also discussed opportunities of joint cooperation in third markets with Turkish officials.
The trade volume between Turkey and Romania stood at $4.3 billion last year, favouring Romania. There are 12,858 registered companies with Turkish capital, with a share of the capital amounting to $600 million, in the EU member state. Turkey is the number one commercial partner of Romania outside of the EU. "We appreciate very much the dynamism of Turkish investors in Romania," he said.
The Romanian Foreign Minister reaffirmed his country's unwavering support for Turkish membership in the EU. "We have constantly pleaded at the European level in favour of regaining the momentum in the accession negotiation process as we consider Turkey's EU accession to be a matter of great benefit, both for Turkey and the EU as a whole," Corlatean said.
Stating that he was encouraged by the opening of Chapter 22, "Regional policy", after two years of stalled negotiations over Turkish accession, Corlatean added, "It's high time to advance Turkey's European agenda and to devote all our energy into making progress with regard to this priority."
Recalling that both Turkey and Romania are NATO allies and participants in the European missile defence system, the Minister said the interceptor site in Romania will provide deterrence and defensive capability to all NATO allies. He also noted that the trilateral dialogue among Turkey, Romania and Poland has the potential to contribute to promoting cooperation and security in Europe to benefit each of the country's regions.
"We have had a number of meetings and we look forward to continuing them so as to broaden our strategic partnerships and to advance the common transatlantic agenda on topics such as Ballistic Missile Defence, the Smart Defence Initiative, protracted conflicts and the future conventional arms regime in Europe," he stated.
In terms of regional cooperation with Turkey in the Black Sea, the Western Balkans and the South Caucasus, Corlatean said he had a solid dialogue with his counterpart, Ahmet Davutoglu. "Both of our countries are directly interested in the peaceful settlement of the frozen conflicts in the Black Sea area, as they are the main obstacles to the stability, security and prosperity of the entire region," he said.
As for the Western Balkans, the Romanian minister remarked that the most important goal remains the consolidation of the stability and security in the Western Balkans region. "In context, we continue, as Turkey does also, to strongly support the Euro-Atlantic integration efforts of the countries in the Western Balkans," he said.
Commenting on Romania's upcoming role as chair of the South-East European Cooperation Process (SEECP) in the second half of 2013, the Foreign Minister said the organization needs a frank and honest assessment. "We will also concentrate on reform of the SEECP, not unrelated to Minister Davutoglu's proposal of 2010. We are interested in maintaining the process's momentum," he said, stressing that enhancing the SEECP's effectiveness, relevance and visibility as the main regional political forum will be a priority for Romania.
On the same issue, Ankara Anatolia news agency (14.03.13) reports that Turkish and Romanian Foreign Ministers on Thursday signed a cooperation protocol in the Turkish capital, Ankara.
Speaking at a joint press conference with his Turkish counterpart Ahmet Davutoglu, Romanian Foreign Minister Titus Corlatean said the penning of "the Cooperation Program in the fields of Education, Culture and Press, Youth and Sports" protocol would strengthen relations between the two countries.
"The signing of the action plan for the strategic partnership really excites us. The steps we have taken to materialize cooperation in the areas of concrete cooperation projects, economy, energy, transport, culture and education really excites us. I believe the implementation of our strategic partnership will further develop our relations. Turkey and Romania think alike both in EU's expansion policy and the developments in the Middle East," Corlatean said.
 Ankara reacts to call from US Congress on zionismTurkish daily Hurriyet Daily News (online, 14.03.13) with the above title reports that Senior Turkish officials reacted March 14 to the U.S. Congress' call on Turkish Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan to retract recent comments on Zionism, reiterating that Turkey stands against all kinds of racism and anti-Semitism.
Members of Congress and senators had penned a letter directed at Erdogan, calling on him to retract his remarks that defined Zionism as a "crime against humanity" on a par with anti-Semitism, fascism and Islamophobia.
Foreign Minister Ahmet Davutoglu said March 14 that Erdogan had made sharper statements against anti-Semitism than any world leader and that Turkey was against all kinds of racism. He did not elaborate on whether Erdogan would accede to the call or not, but added that Turkey was against Israel's expansionist policies.
Turkey has a historical record that requires no explanation, the Minister said, adding that Turkey had sheltered Jewish people for the last 600 years and would open its doors to any community in distress.
Davutoglu also said his visit to Diyarbak?r on March 15 was planned long before the beginning of the ongoing resolution process. Meeting with civic society representatives in Diyarbak?r, his messages will be built on "national unity" and about consolidating the country's internal peace as Turkey rises as a power, he said.
The letter, written by Congressmen Steve Israel and Doug Lamborn and Senators Mark Kirk and Bill Nelson, was sent to all members in Senate and Congress, inviting them to join in "sending a bipartisan, bicameral letter" to Erdogan to express "grave disappointment" in his words.
While acknowledging the global danger of extremism, the letter said Erdogan's comment "apprehends and disparages a noble historical enterprise," Zionism, which is defined by the deputies as "a non-discriminatory affirmation of Jewish nationhood."
Turkish Deputy Prime Minister Bulent Arinc also waded into the issue, saying he found the letter unfair, Anatolia news agency reported. "We criticized the Israeli government's attitude, which abuses human rights ? like the Mavi Marmara, Gaza or Palestinian issues ? and we will continue to criticize, as our Premier stated. However, we would never say or act to offend Jewish people's faith or Israel's divine values," he said, adding that those who had reacted against Erdogan could not have understood Zionism in the sense that Ankara does.
 Statements by a so-called minister, caused reactions by women organizations in the occupied area of CyprusUnder the front page title: "He caused a big stir", Turkish Cypriot daily Kibris (15.03.13) reports on statements by the so-called minister of health, Ertugrul Hasipoglu during his speech at the "Doctor's Union" yesterday on the occasion of the Medicine's Day, and writes that Hasipoglu's statements caused a lot of reactions and in a few moments appeared to a lot of websites.
According to Kibris, Hasipoglu in his statements replied to criticism as regards the problems experienced in the health sector in the occupied areas of Cyprus. Referring to the night clubs which operate in the occupied area of Cyprus, Hasipoglu recalled a statement made by a former "minister" of CTP, who while was in power, asked for the night clubs in the occupied area of Cyprus, to close immediately. Later on, he said, when he became a minister, he described the night clubs where women worked, as factories and said: There are 40 thousand soldiers in the country. Should we let them to screw us?".
The paper writes that as soon as Hasipoglu make the above statement, 10 women organizations in the occupied area of Cyprus asked from Hasipoglu to apologize and resign. After all the reactions, Hasipoglu replied and said that he only wanted to make a joke.
Hasipoglu's statements were covered by the majority of the Turkish Cypriot dailies.
 More about the smuggling of cigarettes in the occupied area of CyprusTurkish Cypriot daily Kibris (15.03.13) reports that the "administration board" of the "free zone area" of the occupied port of Famagusta, in a press conference yesterday, denied the allegations which came up after the arrest of the captains of the two ships who have been arrested last week, on the ground that they have been conducting smuggling of cigarettes in the open sea of occupied Famagusta.
The "administration board" of the "Port and the free zone area" of occupied Famagusta supported that they are not involved at the incidents neither they have any responsibility for the incident, since, as they supported, the limbo (transhipment-the shipment of goods from the one ship to the other ship) took place 30 nautical miles away of Syria outside of the "TRNC's territorial waters".
The "administration board" said also that the reason the captains of the two ships were arrested, was not because of smuggling, but because of false documents. The "board" added that the "Famagusta port" does not have any responsibility or any relation with the incident, adding that they have suspicions that all these constitutes an effort to destroy the image of the "Famagusta port" and prepare the basis for the privatization of the "free port".
 Rearrangement of the "state protocol" in the occupied area of Cyprus; the "chairman" of the so-called Department of Religious affairs was added to the list of persons using the VIP hall at illegal airport of TymbouUnder the title: "Above of the governor", Turkish Cypriot daily Kibris (15.03.13) reports that some changes were made as regards the use of the VIP hall at the illegal airport of
Tymbou (Ercan), since the so-called council of ministers has decided to add to the list of the "officials" who use the VIP hall, the "chairman" of the so-called Religious Affairs Department, who will be also rank above the "governors".
The above decision was taken by the so-called council of ministers on its meeting of February 29 and published at the "official gazette" of the occupation regime on March 7, 2013.
The paper adds that the decision of the "ministerial council" envisages also the rearrangement of the "state protocol".
AK TURKISH AFFAIRS SECTION