|Saturday, 22 September 2018|
Cyprus PIO: Turkish Cypriot and Turkish Media Review, 13-08-27
Cyprus Press and Information Office: Turkish Cypriot Press Review Directory - Previous Article - Next Article
From: The Republic of Cyprus Press and Information Office Server at <http://www.pio.gov.cy/>TURKISH CYPRIOT AND TURKISH MEDIA REVIEW No.161/13 27/08/2013
[A] TURKISH CYPRIOT / TURKISH PRESS
[A] TURKISH CYPRIOT / TURKISH PRESS
 Davutoglu's phone diplomacy with Lavrov and Kerry over SyriaAccording to Ankara Anatolia news agency (26.08.13) Turkey's Foreign Minister Ahmet Davutoglu held phone calls with U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry and his Russian counterpart Sergei Lavrov on the evening of August 26, focusing on the chemical attack claims in Syria.
Davutoglu discussed with Kerry possible further steps to be taken on the crisis, following a strong earlier speech in which he stated that the U.S. had "no doubt" chemical weapons had been used.
Davutoglu also had a phone conversation with Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov, in which he welcomed Moscow's call for Syria to allow the United Nations weapons inspection team to reach Damascus.
Davutoglu agreed to continue a strong dialogue with both Lavrov and Kerry in a bid to end the bloodshed in neighboring Syria.
 Erdogan discussed with his Dutch counterpart over the phone the recent developments in Syria and Egypt; Turkey is reportedly working on action plan to stabilize EgyptAccording to Worldbulletin.com (27.08.13) Turkish Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan held a telephone conversation with the Netherlands' Prime Minister Mark Rutte over recent incidents in Syria and Egypt.
Turkish Prime Ministry sources said that having intensified the telephone diplomacy in recent days, Erdogan told his Dutch counterpart that he set openly forth that concrete steps had to be taken by the international community following the recent use of chemical weapons in Syria.
Erdogan stressed that a democratic process should be initiated urgently with the participation of all sides in Egypt.
Also, according to Worldbulletin.com (27.08.13) the pro-government Turkish Star daily has said that Turkey is working on a seven-step course of action together with the United States, the European Union, the United Arab Emirates (UAE) and Qatar to stabilize Egypt's volatile political environment.
The course of action reported by the daily is similar to a Financial Times article: "Egypt must restore its fledgling democracy - and fast," in early August and seems to be an extended version of it. In the Financial Times piece, President Abdullah Gul listed four steps that are vital for putting democracy back on track in Egypt. Gul's first step is a quick return to democracy through an inclusive transition process.
According to the action plan, there are seven steps that need to be taken in the Arab world's most populous country, including the release of Mohammed Morsi and Muslim Brotherhood members, holding elections, the reopening of media outlets and settling the political dispute.
The first step of the action plan mandates the "release of Egypt's ousted leader Morsi," who was overthrown by a military coup on July 3 after an army ultimatum two days before.
Turkey has been the staunchest supporter of Morsi since he won the Presidential election in June 2012. Morsi, Egypt's first elected civilian President after the country went through a revolution in 2011, was also one of Turkey's key allies in the Middle East. Both countries tried to strengthen their relations via official visits and trade investments during Morsi's one-year Presidency. Turkey also supplied financial aid for Egypt's economic recovery which was disrupted by political instability and the mismanagement of different governments.
In the second step, the countries demand the end of the arbitrary detention of Muslim Brotherhood members. Three leaders of Egypt's Muslim Brotherhood appeared in court on Sunday on charges of being involved in the killing of protesters.
Under the third condition of the plan, the countries want the reopening of closed media organizations. The authorities in Egypt's new military-backed government raided Al Jazeera's Egyptian station after the coup, disrupting its service, and shut down at least three stations supportive of Morsi, so as to cut off coverage of pro-Morsi events, the Committee to Protect Journalists (CPJ) reported.
Fourthly, the countries want Muslim Brotherhood political detainees to be released. The action plan also includes the cessation of pro-Morsi demonstrations, which started after the July 3 coup and turned into bloody incidents after a military crackdown on August 13 resulted in the deaths of more than 600 people. The protests are still ongoing in Rabaa al-Adawiya Square in Cairo. The anti-coup protests went worldwide as demonstrations were held in Tunisia, Pakistan, Sarajevo, Jordan, France and Germany to show support for the Egyptian nation.
After establishing peace in Egypt, the countries recommend the establishment of a technocrat interim government.
Last but not least, the course of action prepared by the abovementioned countries to end the clashes between anti-coup protesters and the country's security forces, calls for free and fair elections in Egypt.
 Turkey to send letters to Parliaments about Egypt and SyriaAccording to Turkish website Worldbulletin.com (26.08.13), Turkey is preparing to send letters to the Parliaments of some countries in order to push them to take action to put an end to the bloodshed in Syria and to accelerate the transition period in Egypt.
The letters will be sent within this week, Parliament Speaker Cemil Cicek said in a press conference in Ankara.
Reminding the death toll in Syria, Cicek said: "We, as Turkish Parliament, think there would be lots of work and efforts that would be exerted by Parliaments in order to end the civilian war and the existing regime in Syria, and to accelerate the transition period in Egypt, and to draw the world's attention to the tragedies happening. For that reason, as Speaker of Parliament, I've decided to write a letter to Parliaments and international Parliamentary Assemblies."
Cicek added: "In the letter, emphasis would be given on the need to end the bloodshed in Syria and the need of transition into democracy in Egypt."
 Main opposition's CHP Deputy Chairman reacts to Davutoglu' latest statement over a possible intervention to Syria; "Turkey does not need a war"According to Turkish daily Hurriyet Daily News (27.08.13) the main opposition party CHP has warned that any intervention to be launched into Syria without the authorization of a U.N. Resolution may spark a regional fire, urging the government to be patient for any response to what has been happening in neighbouring Syria and to wait for results of a U.N. examination on the use of chemical weapons before taking any unilateral action.
Speaking at a press conference at the Parliament, Republican People's Party (CHP) Deputy Chair Faruk Logoglu, recalled Foreign Minister Ahmet Davutoglu's recently delivered remarks in which he said Turkey would join any international coalition against Syria even if a wider consensus on action could not be reached at the U.N. Security Council.
"The government has been blatantly dragging the country into a war with its Syria policy, as Davutoglu himself is acting like "a warmonger as he acts irresponsibly" Logoglu, a former undersecretary of the Foreign Ministry, said.
Echoing what CHP leader Kemal K1l1cdaroglu said on August 25 about the use of chemical weapons, Logoglu reiterated that it was "a crime against humanity" which they condemned no matter who the perpetrator was.
"Turkey doesn't need a war," he said, recalling that there were countries like Russia and Iran who were against an intervention into Syria. "What is our aim that we want intervention into this country? Davutoglu and the Prime Minister [Recep Tayyip Erdogan] will be responsible for those civilians who will lose their lives during a bombing of Damascus."
Emphasizing that their party had not been lending support to the Assad regime in Syria either, Logoglu, however, noted that U.N. inspectors were already allowed by Syria to investigate sites of an alleged chemical weapons strike on the outskirts of the Syrian capital.
"While this investigation is not yet finalized, the US, Britain and France are adamantly stating that chemical weapons were used and this was done by the Assad regime. The regime is denying this."
Logoglu argued that the case concerning Syria resembled what happened in Iraq in the run-up to the U.S.-led invasion of the country in 2003. He was referring to the fact that the invasion was based on false information about weapons of mass destruction in Iraq.
When asked about K1l1cdaroglu's recent remarks in which he suggested that he could be visiting Gaza under appropriate conditions like he visited Iraq last week, Logoglu said there was no official contact for such a visit yet. "However, certain discussions are held on such a visit", he added. "No place that Davutoglu and the Prime Minister can visit is left in the Middle East. We can go everywhere", he added.
 Turkish columnist views possible opening of Incirlik base in Turkey if a military operation takes place in SyriaUnder the title: "Turkey may open 0ncirlik base upon NATO decision", Murat Yetkin, columnist in Turkish daily Hurriyet Daily News (27.08.13) writes the following: "Turkey may open its strategic 0ncirlik air base for possible military operations into neighboring Syria, if the Western defense alliance NATO decides for an intervention in the ongoing civil war, a ranking Turkish official told the Hurriyet Daily News on August 26.
The official, who asked not to be named, said the reports of chemical weapons last week triggered the motivations of the international community in such a way that fewer leaders were now indifferent to what has been happening in Syria for the over two years civil war. 'According to the results of the political and military evaluations these days, it is possible that the NATO Council might convene with Syria on the agenda. If there is an intervention decision, Turkey would take part in it, which could include the opening of the 0ncirlik air base.'
One of the meetings that the official mentioned was the political meeting between the 'Core Group' of the Friends of Syrian People and the Syrian National Coalition (SNC), representing the opposition against the Bashar al-Assad regime, which will take place in Istanbul on August 26. The other meeting is a military one in Amman, Jordan, another neighbor of Syria, where defense ministers and/or the top commanders of 10 nations got together on the same day to discuss 'preventing a spillover' of the civil war, and also to assess the scenarios of a possible intervention in Syria. Those 10 nations were Jordan, as the host country, the U.S., Saudi Arabia, the U.K., France, Turkey, Germany, Qatar, Italy and Canada.
The possibility of a military intervention in Syria without a United Nations mandate had been ruled out by the U.S. and Western allies, up until the Aug. 21 chemical weapons attack near the capital Damascus in which hundreds of civilians were killed. The al-Assad regime still rejects responsibility (with the backing of Russia and Iran), pointing the finger instead at the rebel forces. However, Western intelligence insists that the al-Assad forces did it. Turkish national daily Cumhuriyet reported on Monday, referring to Turkish military sources, that the kind of chemical warhead shells that were fired were not possessed by the rebel forces, but by the Syrian army.
Turkey has been pressing for nearly two years now for a joint intervention in the civil war, in which an estimated 100,000 people have so far been killed, in order to stop the war and prevent further spillover. However, it has not got much of a response up to now, mainly for three reasons. The first was Russia and China's blocking in the U.N. Security Council. The second was the reluctance of the U.S. and EU partners to provide weapons to the rebels that could end up in the hands of groups linked to al-Qaeda, such as the al-Nusra Front. The third was the policy of U.S. President Barack Obama not to send ground troops into conflict zones, drawing his lesson from the Afghanistan and Iraq campaigns, where it was observed that the U.S. invasion helped some political Islamist groups to further grow and become radicalized under the wings of American protection.
However, the use of chemical weapons, which had been announced as a 'red line' for Syria before, has seemingly changed the game. The Kosovo option that is now under discussion suggests the use of air and navy units, not ground forces, which could be a way out for Obama. All eyes are now on a possible NATO meeting.
The 0ncirlik air base, south of Turkey is one of the most strategically important NATO bases in the world. It was effectively used for Iraq operations in the past, and also in Kosovo".
 CTP-BG will simultaneously discuss with UBP and DP for establishing a "coalition government"Under the title "Simultaneous discussion", Turkish Cypriot daily Yeni Duzen newspaper (27.08.13) reports that the council of the Republican Turkish Party - United Forces (CTP-BG) decided last night to discuss with both the National Unity Party (UBP) and the Democratic Party ? National Forces (DP-UG) within the framework of establishing a "coalition government" in the occupied area of the Republic of Cyprus.
The decision was announced by CTP-BG's chairman, Ozkan Yorgancioglu and its general secretary Asim Akansoy after the meeting which lasted for almost four hours.
Yorgancioglu said that they decided to meet with all sides, including the UBP, during their efforts for establishing a "government". He noted that they will hold meetings today and tomorrow (27 and 28 August) and added that the council of the party will convene again tomorrow night to evaluate the results of these meetings.
Replying to a question, Yorgancioglu said that the option of establishing a three-party "government" will be evaluated during their party council's meeting on the 28th of August, in case a consensus is reached on this issue.
Under the title "The last decision tomorrow", Turkish Cypriot daily Kibris newspaper (27.08.13) reports that the CTP-BG's council will take its final decision tomorrow on the issue of the party with which the CTP-BG will establish a "coalition government".
Kibris reports also that Huseyin Ozgurgun, candidate for UBP's leadership, told illegal Bayrak after the announcement of CTP-BG's decision, that the UBP "is ready to bare its own neck" on the issue of the establishment of a "coalition government", but the CTP-BG is the party that should decide, because it is the one assigned with the duty of establishing a "government".
Ozgurgun said that they expect the formation of a "government" this week and described as a "surprise" the fact that CTP-BG could not establish a "government" with the DP-UG. He said that the UBP will do whatever its duty is in order for not leaving the "country" without a "government" and added that they are also ready to become the "main opposition party".
 The occupation regime will be represented in Istanbul's 2nd International Disaster Administration FairTurkish Cypriot daily Haberdar newspaper (27.08.13) reports that the breakaway regime's "fire brigade and forestry department" under the coordination of the so-called civil defense organization will participate in Istanbul's 2nd International Disaster Administration Fair which will be held between 28 and 30 August, 2013.
The organizations which fight with natural disasters in the occupied area of Cyprus will be presented at the fair and the developments as regards the equipment, the means and the methods in administrating and fighting against natural disasters will be examined.
Furthermore, the chairman of the breakaway regime's "International Universities' Search and Rescue Council", Prof. Dr Huseyin Gokcekus will make a presentation regarding "civil defense organization's" contribution and the activities and plans of the "International Universities' Search and Rescue Council" which was established upon efforts of the illegal universities in the occupied area of Cyprus.
 The occupation regime will be represented in an international darts championship in RomaniaTurkish Cypriot daily Haberdar newspaper (27.08.13) reports that the breakaway regime's "darts' federation" is participating in an International Darts Championship which is taking place in Bucharest, Romania, between 26 and 30 August, 2013.
According to the paper, 200 athletes from 12 different countries have been registered in the championship. The Turkish Cypriot "federation" will participate with five athletes, while nine other Turkish Cypriot athletes will travel and participate in the championship with their own means.
 Police and M0T to investigate Akkuyu nuclear plant employeesIstanbul Today's Zaman Online in English (26.08.13) reported that according to media reports on Monday twelve thousand workers to be employed at the Akkuyu nuclear power plant, will be investigated for security purposes by police and the National Intelligence Organization (M0T) in the southern province of Mersin.
The General Directorate of Security will reportedly investigate 4,000 Turkish citizens, including interns, while M0T will look into 8,000 Russians to be hired to work at the plant, set to be built in Mersin's Gulnar district.
The Energy and Natural Resources Ministry demanded investigations into the Akkuyu power plant staff by the Interior Ministry, which initially rejected the energy ministry's demand, stating it was against the relevant directives.
Later, the Energy and Natural Resources Ministry demanded a special article to be added in a directive that allows only for the investigation of public servants, seeking the inclusion of employees of the Akkuyu nuclear power plant, stating that the facility has strategic prominence in terms of state security.
The Justice Ministry received the demand and stated its opinion that there should be a special regulation in the directives for issues related to national security, meaning the investigation of the nuclear power plant workers should be made permissible.
Interior Ministry Deputy Undersecretary Mustafa Demirer issued a new directive to the governors of the 81 provinces stating that employees, Turkish interns and subcontractors at facilities with strategic importance such as nuclear power plants require investigation.
Future requests for security checks under the directive will be carried out through the investigation of archives; Turkish employees will be investigated by the General Directorate of Security, while M0T will be in charge of looking into foreign personnel.
So far, the General Directorate of Security and M0T have investigated the records of over 200 Turkish and foreign employees employed for the project. It has been reported that Turkish employees found to have a criminal record that includes such offenses as terrorism and smuggling will be terminated. Russian citizens who work at the Akkuyu nuclear plant will be deported if they are found to have a criminal record.
TURKISH AFFAIRS SECTION