|Saturday, 16 December 2017|
Cyprus PIO: Turkish Cypriot and Turkish Media Review, 13-10-23
Cyprus Press and Information Office: Turkish Cypriot Press Review Directory - Previous Article - Next Article
From: The Republic of Cyprus Press and Information Office Server at <http://www.pio.gov.cy/>TURKISH CYPRIOT AND TURKISH MEDIA REVIEW No. 201/13 23.10.13
[A] TURKISH CYPRIOT / TURKISH PRESS
[A] TURKISH CYPRIOT / TURKISH PRESS
 Bagis: Turkey will not give land in Cyprus even for its full EU membershipTurkish Cypriot daily Kibris newspaper (23.10.13) reports that Egemen Bagis, Turkish EU Minister and Chief Negotiator, has said that the issue of the return of the occupied closed city of Varosha to its legal owners is part of a comprehensive solution to the Cyprus problem. In statements yesterday to Turkish NTV television, Bagis noted that Turkey will not give even a single hand span of land for opening a chapter in her accession talks with the European Union, like some Greek Cypriot politicians say.
Bagis described as a "delayed positive development" the opening of chapter 22 in Turkey's EU accession negotiations, noting that the decision had been taken during a previous EU term presidency, but its implementation was left for until after the announcement of its Progress Report by the EU Commission, due to objections by Germany.
Referring to the Cyprus problem, Bagis argued that the non-solution in Cyprus harms the interests of the EU more than it harms the interests of Turkey. "However, it shows an influence on Cyprus' interests more than anyone else's", he noted.
Bagis recalled the Annan Plan and claimed that this was "one of the most reasonable peace projects that came up until that time", even though it allegedly included some dimensions which were annoying Turkey as well. He argued that President Anastasiades was the only Greek Cypriot politician who had openly supported the Annan Plan and alleged that time showed that Turkey and President Anastasiades were right when they supported this plan. He argued that if the plan had been accepted, Cyprus could have been one of the most prosperous EU countries. He described the election of Nicos Anastasiades to the presidency of the Republic Cyprus as "a sign that the Greek Cypriot people accepted their mistakes during the Annan Plan process".
Bagis referred to the visits of the representatives of the Greek Cypriot and the Turkish Cypriot side to Ankara and Athens respectively and expressed the hope that "the necessary steps will be taken on the Cyprus issue, a new plan will come up until the end of this year and we as Turkey will support the solution accepted by both sides". "Cyprus will be a single country in the EU with its structure established by two states that are as free as possible internally, which is also Mr Anastasiades' vision", he argued noting that both Turks and Greeks will have a say in this "single state". He concluded by saying that, in this manner, a problem which prevents the opening of 14 chapters in Turkey's accession negotiations will cease to exist.
Meanwhile, Turkish Cypriot daily Yeni Duzen newspaper (23.10.13) reports that in the same statements Bagis, referring to the Greek Cypriot proposal on the issue of the occupied closed city of Varosha, said that if the issue comes onto the agenda within a new plan discussed and accepted by the two sides, Turkey could approach this issue positively. He added: "However, absolutely no country in EU's history gave a territorial concession for the opening of a chapter. Turkey will never be the first to do this. Let them not even dream about it".
 Nami says he met with Mavroyiannis three times in ten daysTurkish Cypriot daily Kibris newspaper (23.10.13) reports that Ozdil Nami, self-styled foreign minister of the breakaway regime in the occupied area of the Republic of Cyprus, has confirmed information published in the Greek Cypriot press that he had met three times in ten days with the Greek Cypriot negotiator, Andreas Mavroyiannis. Responding to questions of Kibris from Strasbourg, Nami said that these meetings were held both in the occupied and the government-controlled part of Nicosia as well as in the buffer zone.
Nami noted that the aim of these meetings "with social content" was to get to know each other and exchange views with Mavroyiannis on the Cyprus problem.
Asked whether these meetings were held within the framework of the promise that the Republican Turkish Party ? Democratic Party self-styled government will undertake a more active role in the Cyprus talks, Nami replied that the duty of carrying out the negotiations belongs only to the Turkish Cypriot leader and his special representative.
Meanwhile, Kibris cites a source from the government-controlled area of Cyprus, which allegedly said that the process could not be conducted only by Eroglu and his special representative and that Nami should be included in it, even unofficially. The source reportedly said that the meeting was held secretly because the self-styled foreign minister could not officially participate in the process.
The paper writes that Eroglu's special representative, Osman Ertug refrained from making a comment because he had no information on the issue.
Kibris reports that Nami will stay in Strasbourg for three days. He is expected to meet with representatives of the political groups in the European Parliament (EP) and the Commissioner Responsible for Enlargement, Stefan Fule.
 Ertug comments on Cyprus talksAnkara Anatolia news agency (22.10.13) reports that Osman Ertug, the special envoy of the Turkish Cypriot leader Dervis Eroglu said regarding the quartet meetings in Ankara and Greece: "We have nothing to lose. It is a win-win situation. We can break the ice and open a new era."
Speaking to AA, Ertug stated that the Turkish side approached the process positively from the beginning and noted there is no precondition for the talks. "We prefer a joint announcement. But, we have to agree on that. If we cannot agree, it will not obstruct talks."
Ertug said they had talks with the Greek Cypriot side for a month to decide on the quartet meetings to start with a joint announcement.
He also underlined quartet meetings will be the first: "We hoped that two sides will gain from that and approached the issue positively. We have nothing to lose. It is a win-win situation. We can break the ice and open a new era."
Ertug emphasized that the Turkish side acted within the UN parameters, but accused Greek Cypriots of 'dragging their feet', alleging that they could not see a constructive approach from the Greek side. "We did not lose hope for peace. We are waiting for them to take the necessary decision."
Special Envoy Ertug said they are striving to have an agreement that the two sides can agree. "If we have that agreement, there will be coordinated referendum at both sides. People will decide."
Ertug cautioned that Greek Cypriot side should deliver the same message to its people and to the Turkish side during the talks. He underlined that it is the Greek side that is going through 'sincerity test'. "We voted in favour of the UN plan (2004). But they set preconditions such as Maras for the talks."
 Turkish Cypriot columnist: the Turkish Cypriot side creates the image that is aspires to a confederation under the garment of federationUnder the title "Is there a bargain on single citizenship and single sovereignty?" Turkish Cypriot columnist Tumay Tugyan comments in daily Yeni Duzen newspaper (23.10.13) the stance of the Turkish Cypriot side on the issue of single sovereignty and single citizenship in the Cyprus talks, especially after a recent statement by Ozdil Nami, self-styled foreign minister of the breakaway regime in the occupied area of the Republic of Cyprus.
Tugyan recalls that on 23 May 2008 the then community leaders, Demetris Christofias and Mehmet Ali Talat, confirmed that they were committed to a bi-zonal, bi-communal federation on the basis of political equality as described in the relevant UN Security Council resolutions. She goes on and notes that on 1 July 2008, the community leaders agreed also that the state described in the 23 May agreement would have a single sovereignty and a single citizenship.
Noting that these principles were a requirement of the "federation" accepted in the 1977-79 High Level Agreements, Tugyan says that "the single international identity and the single sovereignty were requirements of a federal state and sine qua non".
She goes on and says, inter alia, the following:
"?It is true that Eroglu unwillingly confirmed before the UN that he accepts the principles of single international identity, single sovereignty and single citizenship, but both his and the National Unity Party's (UBP) tradition has always been contrary to these principles. This has been for many years one of the basic points of conflict between the UBP and the Republican Turkish Party (CTP) as regards the Cyprus problem?
At the stage reached today, the resumption of the negotiations process is expected and the sides are working on a joint statement. According to what we found out from foreign minister Ozdil Nami, the basic difficulty experienced now is the effort by the Greek Cypriot side to include in the text of the joint statement the issue of single sovereignty and single citizenship.
Nami says: 'The Greek Cypriot side wants to have immediately included in the text of the joint statement the issue of single sovereignty and single citizenship which is its own priority'.
Is the conclusion we have to draw from this statement by Nami that, contrary to the Greek Cypriot side, the issue of 'single sovereignty and single citizenship' is not a priority for the Turkish Cypriot side? Because the Greek Cypriot side wants to renegotiate the issue of internal citizenship and the residual powers, are we, in return, going to open to renegotiations the issue of single sovereignty and single citizenship?
It is understandable for Eroglu to demand this, because the political tradition which Eroglu represents is annoyed by the federation. But what about the CTP? What else than creating the image that the Turkish Cypriot side aspires to a confederation under the garment of federation and not a real federation, is served by approaching the issue of single citizenship and single sovereignty in this manner now?"
 KTOS warned that the meetings between CFA and "Turkish Cypriot football federation" would be sabotagedTurkish Cypriot daily Ortam (23.10.13) reports that Sener Elcil, general secretary of the Turkish Cypriot primary school teachers' trade union (KTOS), pointed out that Turkey's officials as well as officials of the breakaway regime are trying to sabotage the on-going meetings between the Cyprus Football Association (CFA) and the "Turkish Cypriot football federation".
Claiming that it is still in his memory how the Turkish officials and former Turkish Cypriot leader Mehmet Ali Talat tried to prevent the initiatives of the former chairman of the "Turkish Cypriot football federation" Omer Adal of opening the Turkish Cypriot football to the world, Elcil affirmed that they exert their insincerity with statements like "we want solution", "we are not the side, which runs off the solution", solution until the new year".
Elcil called on them to be sincere and to support the effort in order for the meetings between the CFA and the "Turkish Cypriot football federation" to have results.
 Organ transplants in occupied CyprusIllegal Bayrak television (22.10.13) reports that the issue of "legalizing" organ transplants in the breakaway regime was on the agenda of the "parliament".
While a debate regarding the content of the "draft law" which was prepared within the framework of EU harmonization laws was discussed at "parliament", the self-styled government has announced that the technical aspects of the draft have been taken up.
The "draft law" which will pave the way for cell, tissue and organ transplants was brought to the agenda of the "plenary session" by the leader of the Social Democratic Party Mehmet Cakici.
Addressing the session Mr. Cakici said there were aspects of the "law" that were worrying and added that if the organ transplant issue is seen as an opportunity to import and export body parts then this could lead to problems and wrong doings.
 Archbishop Chrysostomos B' met with Talip AtalayIllegal Bayrak Television (22.10.13) reports that the "head of religious affairs department" Talip Atalay visited Archbishop Chrysostomos B'.
The last visit between the two men was realized two and a half years ago. Atalay evaluated his visit to the Archbishop saying that he was greeted by the Archbishop at the buffer zone and then they visited the Bayraktar Mosque.
He also said that he was hosted at the Archbishopric and after having lunch with the Archbishop he moved on to the Hala Sultan Mosque where he attended Friday prayers.
He said it was their aim to create mutual tolerance between the Turkish and Greek Cypriots on the island within the framework of religious mentality. Atalay also added that they are working towards overcoming the problems being faced at border crossings throughout the island.
 Turkish FM attends "London 11" meetingAnkara Anatolia news agency (23.10.13) reports that Foreign Ministers of the Core Group of the Friends of Syria came together in London on Tuesday to discuss the Syria crisis and the preparations for the Geneva 2 Conference which is expected to take place in Switzerland next month. Following the "London 11" titled conference, Turkish Foreign Minister Davutoglu held a press conference in the British capital.
Stating that the meeting was held in two phases, Davutoglu said first of all the teams of 11 foreign ministers got together and formed a communique they worked on yesterday and stated: "We came to an agreement on the communique. Later on today, we discussed the next steps in the framework of this communique and met with President of the National Coalition for Syrian Revolutionary and Opposition Forces, Ahmad Jarba. Both main points of the communique and what should be the next steps were covered. It was such a beneficial meeting. You will see it on the communique that there are points which Turkey was paying attention at."
Davutoglu noted that it was important for them as the process was not open-ended and added: "There should not have been any doubts occurring over the representation of the Syrian opposition. These were included in the communique." "Whatever would cause the neglect the humanitarian dimension, would not satisfy us. It is very important for all those 11 countries coming together and that is why the Syrian National Coalition stated their satisfaction of 11 countries gathering within the scope of this frame. And as these 11 countries go together, what we emphasized is the importance of the maintenance of the Syrian oppositions' unity."
 Erdogan both criticizes and welcomes EU's recent reportAnkara Anatolia news agency (23.10.13) reports that Turkish Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan both criticized and welcomed the European Union after it released its progress report on Turkey last week.
"Is the European Union's only issue to prepare a progress report only on Turkey? You cannot stand idly by the developments in Syria. The EU still does not call to the action against the elected president as coup in Egypt. We sincerely expect the EU, who sharply criticizes its member countries, should criticize itself and write its own progress report," Erdogan said after AK Party's group meeting in Ankara.
On the recently released progress report, he said, "However the report included false evaluations, it generally confirms the government's determination on reforms." Erdogan stated that Turkey would continue its reforms despite all the obstacles and negative attitudes.
The European Union released its 2013 Progress Report on Turkey by hailing reforms carried out by the country and by criticizing Turkey for what it called an "uncompromising stance" on freedom of speech and assembly.
The Turkish premier also mentioned the release of Turkish pilots Murat Agca and Murat Akpinar, who had been abducted on their way to hotel in Lebanon and thanked Lebanon and Qatar for their cooperation.
"When Turkey's influence increases, its economy and democracy grows, those who don't want this development, will explore different ways and target Turkey," he added.
 EU agrees to convene on Nov. 5 for talks on new chapter with TurkeyTurkish daily Today's Zaman newspaper (23.10.13) reports that the European Union's General Affairs Council has approved talks on the opening of a new chapter in Turkey's accession to the EU, deciding that an intergovernmental conference for this purpose will be held on Nov. 5.
The council had already agreed in June that Chapter 22 on regional policy would be opened, but it delayed the intergovernmental conference until October in retaliation for Turkey's handling of the Gezi Park protests.
With the opening of Chapter 22 in November, the EU and Turkey will put an end to the three-year hiatus in accession talks.
Stefan Fule, the European Commissioner for Enlargement, welcomed the EU's approval of the opening of a new chapter in a statement published on the European Commission's website.
"Recent developments in Turkey underline the importance of EU engagement and of the EU remaining the benchmark for reform in Turkey. To this end, accession negotiations need to regain momentum, respecting the EU's commitments and established conditionality. In this regard, today's decision represents an important step," Fule said.
He also expressed satisfaction with last week's progress report for providing "a timely contribution" to the process leading up to Tuesday's decision. Fule said he hopes that more chapters will follow Chapter 22. TURKISH AFFAIRS SECTION