|Monday, 19 August 2019|
Cyprus PIO: Turkish Cypriot and Turkish Media Review, 13-12-16
Cyprus Press and Information Office: Turkish Cypriot Press Review Directory - Previous Article - Next Article
From: The Republic of Cyprus Press and Information Office Server at <http://www.pio.gov.cy/>TURKISH CYPRIOT AND TURKISH MEDIA REVIEW No. 237/13 14-16.12.13
[A] TURKISH CYPRIOT / TURKISH PRESS
[A] TURKISH CYPRIOT / TURKISH PRESS
 Havadis publishes 78-page document that might allegedly be called the "Ban Ki-moon Plan"Turkish Cypriot daily Havadis newspaper (16.12.13) publishes today the first part of a 78-page document, which allegedly includes the agreements and the convergences between the sides during the Cyprus talks and might be called as "Ban Ki-moon Plan". Under the front page title "Behold the Plan", Havadis writes that the document has been prepared by UN officials and includes the "agreements" and "convergences" reached between former President Christofias with former and current Turkish Cypriot leaders Talat and Eroglu respectively during the negotiations of the period 2008-2012.
The UN officials formed a "draft plan", which has been submitted to the sides, notes the paper adding that according to this "draft", "big agreements and convergences" have been achieved on the Governance and Power Sharing chapter. According to the paper, the presidency in federal Cyprus will be rotated, there will be a President and a Vice President and the legislative power will consist of the Senate and the House of Representatives. In case the Cabinet cannot take a unanimous decision, majority in which one or two votes from members of the opposite community will be enough.
A deadlock exists on the issue of guarantees, writes Havadis noting that the Turkish side wants the continuation of the 1960 Treaty of Guarantee and Alliance, while the Greek Cypriot side insists that there is no need for such agreements and demands the demilitarization of the island within a short period of time.
Convergence has reportedly been achieved on the basic principles on the property issue, but debates had been experienced on the number of the Greek Cypriots who will return under Turkish administration. The UN Secretary-General's special adviser, Alexander Downer has reportedly suggested that the number of the Greek Cypriots who will return under Turkish administration should influence the percentage of the territory which will be given back.
An impasse exists also on the territories which will be returned, writes Havadis, adding that the Greek Cypriot side wants the establishment of a canton in the Peninsula of Karpasia at the villages of Agios Androkinos, Gialousa and Rizokarpaso and the return of more land in the plain of Mesaoria. The Turkish side strongly rejects this, notes the paper pointing out that these disagreements are the reason for which the territory has been left for the end.
Arguing that this is the first time that the 78-page "plan" is published in the press, Havadis announces that tomorrow it will publish the map which has been formed upon the demand of the Greek Cypriot side as a result of the bargaining between the sides on the territory and property issues.
 Davutoglu's meeting with Eroglu in occupied CyprusAnkara Anatolia news agency (14.12.13) reports that Foreign Minister of Turkey Ahmet Davutoglu stated that the current "positive psychological atmosphere" is favorable to find a solution for the Cyprus problem. He made these statements speaking at a press conference after a meeting he had with Turkish Cypriot leader Dervis Eroglu in occupied Lefkos?a.
Davutoglu said that a serious psychological atmosphere now exists in the international community for a permanent peace regarding Cyprus. He said that Turkey always takes sides with the breakaway regime, and he expressed his hope for a new future vision to develop so as to bring peace and tranquility both to the Island and to the wider Eastern Mediterranean region.
"The faith, welfare, stability and tranquility of the Turkish Cypriots are prerequisite for Turkey. [?] Turkey and TRNC always show goodwill for a solution based on a two-state and two-community that have equal status, hoping the Greek Cypriot side, especially following the election of Nikos Anastasiadis as its President, and the related developments would add positively to the efforts of the UN within this regard", he stated. On his part Eroglu, said: "No solution has yet been achieved on Cyprus; but we continue to seek an agreement with the best of our goodwill'."
Ankara Anatolia also reports that addressing Turkish Cypriots Davutoglu said the following: "We will give all the support you need for the peace you want. [?] There is commonsense and common approach regarding the negotiations process in the TRNC and this is a great richness of the TRNC. Peace parameters in Cyprus are clear and everybody should approach those parameters with commonsense", he stated.
Referring to a project that aims bringing water from Anatolia to occupied Cyprus, Davutoglu alleged that everybody will once more see that the fates of Anatolia and Cypriot Turks are same and then gave a message to President Anastasiadis, saying: "Now is the time of political will". Davutoglu also alleged that Turkish Cypriots will never yield to isolations and he was happy to have seen this will in Cyprus and in "President" Eroglu in person.
On his part, Eroglu alleged that president Anastasiadis was trying to buy time with a "common declaration game" and Greek Cypriots block the declaration and the restart of negotiations.
Davutoglu later on visited so-called parliament speaker Sibel Siber and alleged that "they (the Turkish government) are proud of the active democracy in the TRNC" Siber for her part said that "Turkish Cypriots have a small but dynamic democracy and they are also proud of it".
Ahmet Davutoglu also came together with UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon's special Cyprus envoy Alexander Downer at so-called Turkey's Lefkosia embassy. "We have exchanged views with Downer in a constructive manner", Davutoglu said on his meeting with Downer."
Ankara Anatolia also reports (15.12.13) that Davutoglu spoke to the United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon to discuss the recent developments in the Cyrus talks upon returning from occupied Cyprus.
Anadolu Agency reported that the phone conversation between Davutoglu and the U.N. secretary-general focused mainly on the current state of negotiations. Davutoglu also had a phone conversation with his Greek counterpart Evangelos Venizelos.
In addition, Turkish Cypriot daily Gunes newspaper (16.12.13) writes that during his visit in occupied Cyprus Davutoglu also held meetings with the self-styled foreign Minister Ozdil Nami and "prime minister" Ozkan Yorgancioglu. He also met with the chairman of the National Unity Party Huseyin Ozgurgun.
 Turkish Cypriot source says the negotiations process is going positively; Nami comments on Davutoglu's visitTurkish Cypriot daily Kibris newspaper (16.12.13) reports that a Turkish Cypriot high ranking source argued that only the approval of the Greek Cypriot side remained for the "joint statement" which "has been turned into sine qua non for the commencement of the negotiations" for finding a solution to the Cyprus problem. "We think that the process is going positively", the source told Kibris adding:
"The Turkish side believes that the process has come to its final stage and not that it has been dynamited, as Greek Cypriot administration's Spokesman Christos Stylianides said. If Mr President Dervis Eroglu has invited all circles, the opposition and the government, to the evaluation meeting held with the Turkish Minister of Foreign Affairs Ahmet Davutoglu, it would not be wrong to say that this is already a final point. The ball is definitely in Greek Cypriot side's field and our side fully believes that the text of the joint statement is ready".
The same source said that the text of the joint statement is "very different' than the previous texts and added that the texts until now had not entered into so many details. "It will almost be like a plan. We believe that there is no reason for the Greek Cypriot side not to accept it", the source argued alleging that Turkey and the Turkish Cypriot side are ready for a solution and fully believe that "the final stage has come".
Meanwhile, Kibris (16.12.13) reports also that Ozdil Nami, self-styled foreign minister of the breakaway regime in the occupied area of the Republic of Cyprus, has evaluated the messages given by Turkish Foreign Minister, Ahmet Davutoglu during his recent illegal visit to the occupied area of Cyprus. Nami alleged that the Greek Cypriot side should exhibit good will and the issue of the joint statement should end the soonest.
Nami argued that Davutoglu expressed a strong support to the continuation of the negotiations and added: "Turkey's support strengthen us a lot at the table". He went on and said that "very important convergences" have been reached until today during the negotiating process and added that in case an intensive process started focused on the issues that remained open, a new comprehensive solution plan could emerge within months, not years. This will be a Cypriot plan, not a plan imposed by outside, he said.
 Turkish Cypriot "official" speaks about a news initiative for CyprusToday's Zaman Online (15.12.13) reports that a "senior Turkish Cypriot official", who spoke on condition of anonymity to the paper, stated that the new initiative for Cyprus proposes a single representation in international platforms but joint sovereignty on the island that includes the rights of both Turkish and Greek Cypriots: "With this formula, both sides will have equal rights and no side will have hegemony over the other side," the official told Today's Zaman.
When asked whether the proposal was in the interest of the breakaway regime, he replied that it depends on how the initiative would be implemented. "It is not a proposal that would satisfy a single side; however, it is a 'proposal of consensus.' I hope this proposal will be accepted by the Greek side," he said.
He added that "if the Turkish plan fails due to the Greek side's rejection, the UN will put another plan into action".
"Currently, there are other formulas in Downer's mind. However, we have proposed this new formula now, to show our willingness to solve the matter. But if our proposal is rejected, Downer's plan will be brought to the agenda. This is our last bona fide proposal. We will not go beyond this," he said.
 TDP was not invited at the meeting with DavutogluTurkish Cypriot daily Ortam (16.12.13), under the title "The scenario was written by AKP and Turkey's embassy" reports that the chairman of the Social Democracy Party (TDP), Cemal Ozyigit, referring to the fact that the TDP had not been invited in the last two meetings regarding the Cyprus problem, said that everything has disclosed and this is a part of a written scenario. The scenario has been written by the self-styled Turkish embassy to the occupied area of the Republic of Cyprus and the ruling Justice and Development Party (AKP).
In a written statement, Ozyigit said that the TDP was not invited again in a meeting that occurred few days ago with the excuse from Eroglu's office that "things happened very quickly and we could not inform you". Ozyigit, stressed that TDP was not invited, because it fights for the existence of the Turkish Cypriots, for permanent peace and not for sovereign interests like someone else, accusing the Turkish Cypriot leader Dervis Eroglu and self-styled deputy prime minister and minister of foreign affairs Serdar Denktas.
On the same issue, so-called deputies with the Republican Turkish Party-United Forces (CTP-BG) Asim Akansoy and Dogus Derya reacted to this incident with criticisms on the Facebook. Both of them said that it was an acceptable and the inclusion of all partied in the process is a condition. Neither the New Cyprus Party (YKP) not the United Cyprus Party (BKP) were invited to the meetings.
Akansoy, in his Facebook account, wrote that he condemns the fact that the TDP, which is a sincere and constructive political party regarding the Cyprus talks, was not invited at the meeting with the Turkish Foreign Minister Ahmet Davutoglu as well at the briefing meeting by Eroglu few days earlier.
Derya, in her Facebook account, wrote: "Important developments regarding the solution of the Cyprus problem happen. Taking into account at this process the views of all the political parties, who fight for years for peace, as well inviting them at these meetings, is a condition. Not inviting TDP is unacceptable".
 Izcan: Davutoglu, Eroglu, CTP, DP and UBP agreed on a confederation based on two separate states and two separate sovereigntiesTurkish Cypriot daily Kibris newspaper (16.12.13) reports that Izzet Izcan, chairman of the United Cyprus Party (BKP), has said that during the recent illegal visit of Turkish Foreign Minister, Ahmet Davutoglu to the occupied area of Cyprus, Davutoglu, the Turkish Cypriot leader Eroglu, and officials from the Republican Turkish Party-United Forces (CTP-BG), the National Unity Party (UBP) and the Democratic Party (DP) reached an agreement on a confederation in Cyprus based on two separate states and two separate sovereignties.
In a written statement issued yesterday, Izcan criticized the fact that the BKP and the other pro-solution political forces had been excluded from the above-mentioned meeting and noted that the agreement reached during that meeting "does not bind the Turkish Cypriot community, but only the AKP and its collaborators".
Izcan pointed out that the Turkish side, which insists on two separate states and sovereignties, is not sincere when it talks about the solution of the Cyprus problem and it "plays a game aiming at misleading and blowing up the solution process".
Izcan noted that the BKP supports a united federal Cyprus, which has single and inseparable sovereignty that derives from the Turkish Cypriots and the Greek Cypriots. "Mr Davutoglu cannot talk on behalf of the Turkish Cypriot community. He cannot make proposals on behalf of the Turkish Cypriot community", he added.
 Denktas commented on the latest developments on the Cyprus problemAccording to Turkish Cypriot daily Bakis (16.12.13), leader of the Democratic Party (DP) Serdar Denktas ? self-styled deputy prime minister and minister of economy, tourism, culture and sports ? speaking at his party congress, said that new developments on the Cyprus problem came into the agenda with the visit of Turkey's Foreign Minister Ahmet Davutoglu. He added that everything has been cooked but they don't know what exactly has been cooked. He noted that when he finds out. He will set out to the streets and brief them, adding that an improved Annan plan will be submitted for referendum. He stressed that in any case an improved Annan plan would not be improved in order to raise the votes of the Turkish Cypriots from 64% to 70%. He argued that there would be an initiative of changing the no votes of the Greek Cypriots from 70% to 51% yes vote.
 CHP's Logoglu: Cyprus is not for saleTurkish Cypriot daily Kibris newspaper (14.12.13) reports that the deputy chairman of the Republican Turkish Party (CHP) Faruk Logoglu called on Turkish Foreign Minister Ahmet Davutoglu not to sell away the interests of Turkey and the rights of the Turkish Cypriots and noted: Cyprus is not for sale.
Logoglu who issued a written statement regarding the recent developments of the Cyprus problem, said that Turkey and the breakaway regime must exhibit a principled stand that will safeguard the rights and interest of Turkey and the breakaway regime.
He went on and added that the policy that the Justice and Development Party (AKP) follows are dangerous and can harm "our Cyprus cause which is a national cause", as he stated.
 AK Party unveils all candidates for municipal electionsTurkish daily Today's Zaman Online (15.12.13) reports that Turkish Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan has announced all 81 candidates under the ruling Justice and Development Party (AK Party) for the municipal elections slated for March of next year.
Out of the incumbent 47 AK Party mayors, 21 will not run again and have been replaced with new candidates. The only female candidate is current Family and Social Policies Minister Fatma Sahin, who will run for mayor of the southern province of Gaziantep.
The average age of the candidates is 50. The candidates' level of education is very high; many of the 81 people selected are engineers, lawyers and doctors. The AK Party is looking to keep its current mayors in Istanbul (Kadir Topbas) and Ankara (Melih Gokcek). Tight competition is expected between Topbas and Mustafa Sar?Gul, who is expected to run as the Republican People's Party (CHP) candidate for the same post. There has been speculation that Sar?Gul, deemed a strong opponent for Topbas, is likely to unseat the incumbent mayor, according to recent media reports.
The AK Party made a major move in the Aegean province of Izmir by naming as candidate current Transportation Minister Binali Yildirim. Izmir has long been regarded as a bastion of the main opposition Republican People's Party (CHP) and the AK Party candidate is expected to intensify the competition.
There are currently 34 cities not governed by AK Party mayors; the AK Party will endeavor to change this by putting up new candidates.
 Turkish company to construct pipeline for ExxonMobil in IraqTurkish daily Hurriyet Daily News (14.12.13) reports that Turkish construction firm EID Insaat is to build a 120-km-long pipeline for ExxonMobil in Iraq for $90 million, a project that is expected to be completed in one year.
"This is a privilege to carry out a project for ExxonMobil that ranked second in energy sector of the world. We won the project with our foreign partner. We completed the contract and technical procedures. There is also an 85-km-long pipeline project under construction. The two pipelines will be more 200 km-long," Chairman Bora Can Yildiz has said.
Yildiz stated that the pipeline was an advanced engineering project that was used for drilling oil via high water pressure.
The Iraqi market accounts for 70 percent of the business volume of EID Insaat, which has operations in the energy and construction sectors in the Middle East and Russia. The company had carried out other projects such as airports and industrial facilities in Iraq jointly with American, Canadian and European companies, he said, adding that they were currently working on a project worth $250 million in South Iraq and Basra. TURKISH AFFAIRS SECTION