|Monday, 21 October 2019|
Cyprus PIO: Turkish Cypriot and Turkish Media Review, 16-10-20
Cyprus Press and Information Office: Turkish Cypriot Press Review Directory - Previous Article - Next Article
From: The Republic of Cyprus Press and Information Office Server at <http://www.pio.gov.cy/>TURKISH CYPRIOT AND TURKISH MEDIA REVIEW No. 202/16 20.10.2016
[A] TURKISH CYPRIOT / TURKISH PRESS
[A] TURKISH CYPRIOT / TURKISH PRESS
 Cavusoglu called the OIC countries to support the "just cause" of the Turkish CypriotsTurkish Cypriot daily Kibris newspaper (20.10.16) reports that Turkey's Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu, in statements while addressing the 43rd Session of the Council of Foreign Ministers of the Organization of Islamic Cooperation (OIC) which is taking place in Tashkent, referred, inter alia, to the Cyprus problem and stressed the need for the OIC member-states to provide help to the Turkish Cypriots.
"We believe that the Cyprus problem is possible to be solved within this year. We expect from all OIC's member countries to support the just cause of the Turkish Cypriots", Cavusoglu argued.
 Ertugruloglu called the OIC member states to enable them to be part of the international communityTurkish Cypriot daily Gunes newspaper (20.10.16) reports that self-styled minister of foreign affairs Tahsin Ertugruloglu claimed that "it is not possible the Turkish Cypriot people to be convicted to an uncertain future tied to never ending negotiations", adding: "Whether a settlement is reached or not by the end of 2016, the Turkish Cypriot people need to be ready for both scenarios".
Addressing the 43rd Council of Ministers meeting of the Organisation of Islamic Cooperation (OIC) in Tashkent, Uzbekistan, Ertugruloglu expressed the expectations of the Turkish Cypriot side, within the framework of the decisions of the OIC on Cyprus, regarding the establishment of close relationship with brotherly member countries and intensification of the existing solidarity and relations. He further said: "We are thankful for the resolutions. Nonetheless, much still needs to be done regarding their implementation. The all-embracing isolation, referred to in the OIC resolutions, continues to be a harsh reality in the daily lives of all Turkish Cypriots, impeding their development in all fields of life."
Referring to the Cyprus problem, Ertugruloglu said: "As you are well aware, we are, presently, at an important juncture in Cyprus. At this critical juncture, we more than ever, need the leadership, support and solidarity of the OIC and its brotherly member states.
Currently, negotiations are continuing and most recently the two leaders held a tripartite meeting with the UN Secretary-General at the margins of the General Assembly in New York, last month. However, the tripartite meeting did not meet the raised expectations and no concrete results have been achieved. In contradiction to the recent joint statements, in which the two leaders have committed themselves to reaching a comprehensive settlement in 2016, the Greek Cypriot side has rejected to set a time frame, a roadmap, including a multiparty meeting, which would constitute the final stage of the negotiation process."
Ertugruloglu argued that it is an accepted fact that if a settlement is not reached by the end of 2016, the current process between the two sides on the island will come to an end. He claimed: "After that point, the Turkish Cypriot people, who have been unfairly segregated from the rest of the world for over five decades, can no longer be held hostage to an uncertain future tied to never ending negotiations. Hence, whether a settlement is reached or not by the end of 2016, the Turkish Cypriot people need to be ready for both scenarios."
Ertugruloglu called the member states of the OIC to take immediate and concrete steps towards eliminating the impeding condit?ons of the Turkish Cypriots, precluding their integration with the world is all the more urgent and important.
He further argued that in the likely absence of a settlement by the end of 2016, due to chronic Greek Cypriot intransigence, the Turkish Cypriot "state" is not without alternatives, adding that the Turkish Cypriots will need the support and solidarity of all the Muslim brotherly countries in terms of enabling them to be part of the international community.
Meanwhile, Turkish Cypriot daily Vatan newspaper (20.10.16) reports that Ertugruloglu had separate meetings on Tuesday with Turkey's Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu and the Pakistani Minister of State Syed Tariq Fatemi.
 Turkes held a joint press conference with Ozgurgun and Denktas; The "economic cooperation" between Turkey and the occupation regime was the main issue of discussionUnder the title: "We undertook positive steps for a better TRNC", Turkish Cypriot daily Kibris newspaper (20.10.16) reports that Turkey's Deputy Prime Minister Responsible for Cyprus Affairs, Tugrul Turkes, in statements yesterday during a joint press conference with the so-called prime minister Huseyin Ozgurgun and the so-called deputy prime minister and "minister of finance" Serdar Denktas, evaluated his contacts in the "TRNC" describing them as very beneficial and fruitful.
Recalling the three-year "economic program" which is implemented in the "TRNC", Turkes explained that the implementation of the "program" for this year has been delayed due to changes being made on the "governmental level" by both sides. He further said that during his contacts in the "TRNC" they undertook steps for a "better TRNC".
In his turn, Ozgurgun stated that during Turkes' visit in the "TRNC", they had the opportunity to discuss the "economic cooperation" between Turkey and the "TRNC" and the next steps to be taken in order to overpass the difficulties experienced.
"We will continue with efforts and steps for the period to come in order to develop our economic, financial and social infrastructure", Ozgurgun said.
Explaining also that they carried out a large-scale work with the "ministries" regarding the future projects and also the "cooperation protocol" with Turkey, Ozgurgun stated that the outcome of this work will become visible very soon by the Turkish Cypriot "people".
Also speaking, Denktas said that during the meeting with Turkes, they discussed several issues related with different "ministries".
Describing Turkes' visit in the "TRNC" as very important, Denktas added that they discussed the "further increase of their cooperation and the need to intensify the speed up of their steps in order to find solution to their problems".
 Arslan held contacts with Ozgurgun and SibelTurkish Cypriot daily Star Kibris newspaper (20.10.16) reports that Turkish Minister of Transportation, Maritime and Communication Ahmet Arslan who is paying an illegal visit to the breakaway regime met with "prime minister" Huseyin Ozgurgun and "parliament's speaker" Sibel Siber.
Ozgurgun claimed that transportation was extremely important for "an island country" and added that problems experienced in this field could be overcome "with the help of motherland Turkey".
On his part, the Turkish Minister said that they feel like home every time the visit "TRNC": "We are here for a high level and efficient co-operation", he stated.
During his visit to Sibel, Arslan stated that they have been looking into what they can do for the breakaway regime in terms of upgrading the "country's infrastructure". Arslan also reminded that "a protocol for an e-state project and a memorandum of understanding for further developing postal services between their two countries" had been signed yesterday.
Highlighting the importance of the current negotiations process for the future of the island, Arslan said that the government in Turkey has always and will continue to support efforts to reach a just and lasting settlement in Cyprus.
Siber said that cooperation and projects carried out between their two "countries" always had a positive impact on the quality of life of the Turkish Cypriots who have been struggling for years "to gain their deserved place within the international community". Siber expressed the hope that a settlement in Cyprus will help achieve this goal.
 Arslan laid the founding stone for the new terminal to be constructed at the illegal Tymbou airport; Statements by Arslan and DurustTurkish Cypriot daily Kibris newspaper (20.10.16) reports that a founding stone ceremony for the new terminal building to be constructed at the illegal Tymbou airport took place yesterday.
The founding stone was laid by the Turkish Minister of Transportation, Maritime and Communication Ahmet Arslan, who is illegally visiting the occupation regime for this purpose. The so-called minister of public works and communication Kemal Durust, the "minister of labor and social insurance", Ersan Saner, the so-called Turkish ambassador in the occupied part of Lefkosia, Derya Kabay, the "director" of the T&T airport company which undertook the control-inspection services of the illegal airport, and other "state officials" and bureaucrats from Turkey and the occupation regime, attended the ceremony.
According to the paper, the new terminal building to be constructed at the illegal Tymbou airport will cost 225 million euro and the works are expected to be completed in 20 months (in the second half of 2018). The paper adds that the inauguration ceremony of the new terminal will be held by Turkey's Prime Minister Binali Yildirim and the so-called prime minister Huseyin Ozgurgun.
Speaking during the founding stone ceremony, Durust, referred, inter alia, to the importance of the project and said that 2017 will be the year of "attacks" especially in the field of transportation and communications.
Stating that the project is a great step for the economic development of the "country", Durust said that the project is supported by Turkey. He further said that their goal is to conclude the project during the second half of 2016, and added that the new terminal building will cover 180,000 square meters and will be similar to international standards.
In his turn, Arslan recalled the statement made by both Erdogan and Yildirim that "whatever happens in Turkey happens also in the TRNC", and assured that Turkey will continue to provide help and invest in the "TRNC" for its further development.
Supporting that their goal is for the "TRNC" to be able to stand by its own feet, Arslan argued that the "new Ercan airport will be able to provide services to 5 million passengers per year".
Referring to the Cyprus problem, Arslan stated the need for both sides to show goodwill and determination for the solution. He further added that the solution to be found should take into account the rights of both sides. "Turkey will be always by the side of the Turkish Cypriots", Arslan also said.
 "Co-operation protocol for the construction of new central prisons" to be signed by Turkey and the breakaway regimeTurkish Cypriot daily Diyalog newspaper (20.10.16) reports that the self-styled minister of interior Kutlu Evren is going to Ankara in order to sign "a cooperation protocol for the construction of central prisons" in the occupied area of Cyprus.
According to a statement issued by the "ministry" Evren will hold meetings with the Turkish Minister of Justice Bekir Bozdag and the Turkish Minister of Interior Suleyman Soylu.
 The "immovable property commission" argues that 190 thousands sterling were paid to the applicant, who filed against them at the ECHRAccording to Turkish Cypriot daily Demokrat Bakis newspaper (20.10.16), the "immovable property commission" set up in the occupied area of the Republic of Cyprus announced that it is unacceptable an applicant, who has received payment of 190 thousands sterling for all his/her demands at his/her application, to file a lawsuit at the European Court of Human Rights (ECHR) against the "commission" and to deny the payment. The "commission" also announced that it is impossible to explain the reason of his/her denial of the payment.
Ayfer Said Erkmen, chairman of the "immovable property commission", in a written statement issued yesterday, argued that all the reports in the Greek Cypriot media regarding this case do not reflect the truth. He explained: "The commission, on April 17, 2015, decided to pay the applicant 190,000 sterling from the defendant office for all the demands and immovable properties on the application. According to the above named decision, under the law no. 67/2005, 190 thousands sterling were paid to the applicant on March 22, 2016."
Erkmen further said that as a result of the execution of the compensation, the applicant accepted and committed that under no circumstances she/he will have any claim on the immovable property of the application.
 The "solution and peace platform" wishes to meet with President AnastasiadesTurkish Cypriot daily Detay newspaper (20.10.16) reports that the "solution and peace platform" in the occupied area of Cyprus which consists of 33 non-governmental organizations, has announced yesterday in a written statement, that it would undertake initiative in order to hold a meeting with the President of the Republic of Cyprus, Nicos Anastasiades.
In statements on behalf of the "platform", Okan Dagli announced that the platform which supports the efforts aiming to reach a federal solution in Cyprus, will ask also to hold meetings both with Turkish Cypriot and Greek Cypriot political parties represented in the "assemblies" and also with smallest parties in both sides of the island.
Dagli said also that the "platform" will organize on Monday in occupied Famagusta, a meeting discussion under the title: "Peace in Cyprus".
 Sucuoglu and Ataoglu attended a health tourism fair in AnkaraAccording to Turkish Cypriot daily Vatan newspaper (20.10.16), the self-styled minister of health Faiz Sucuoglu and the self-styled minister of tourism and environment Fikri Ataoglu attended yesterday the opening of the Global Health Tourism Summit and Fair Health in Ankara along with Turkish Minister of Culture and Tourism Nabi Avci and the Chairman of the Global Health Tourism Council Fawzi Yousef Qasem Al Hammouri.
According to a joint press release by the two "ministries", 300 people (chairmen of chambers of commerce, foreign delegations, tourism agents and owners of hospitals) from 40 countries are participating in the fair, which will last for three days.
Speaking at the opening ceremony of the fair, Ataoglu said that concrete steps have been taken on the health tourism and the necessary "legal regulations" have been implemented, adding that they have started to have results on this. He explained that they have to continuously renew and develop their strategies at the competitive market of tourism.
Ataoglu further said: "The tourism sector is expected to grow over the next 20 years and we know that the sector is to reach 2 trillion dollars in volume. The TRNC is becoming a popular health tourism destination. We are only a 1.5 hour flight away from motherland Turkey".
Sucuoglu, for his part, said that small steps have been taken on the health tourism sector in the "TRNC" since 2010 and added that the "TRNC" will be able to offer high standard health and accommodation services once the third faculty of medicine hospital opens up in 2017, while the second medical school hospital will be opening on the 15th of November. He further said that until now there are 22 thousand beds capacity and they plan to reach the 30 thousand within five years.
Sucuoglu also said that they have begun gradually becoming prominent on the health tourism in the fields of vitro fertilisation, plastic surgeries, eye and cardiovascular diseases.
 Turkey's EU minister: EU refugee deal could collapseAnkara Anatolia news agency (20.10.16) reports that the refugee deal reached last March could collapse if the European Union fails to provide Turkey with the promised visa liberalization by the year's-end, Turkey's EU minister warned.
The deadline is not an agreed-on date, but it would come "naturally," Omer Celik told a joint press conference in Ankara with Alan Duncan, Britain's Minister of State for Europe and the Americas.
Celik said that the EU has so far failed to keep its promises to Turkey and that things have been moving too slowly.
Under the EU-Turkey Readmission Agreement of this March, Turkey is to readmit all irregular migrants who reach Greek islands from the country. But visa liberalization in Schengen zone countries was one of the EU's key promises under the deal, meant to enhance EU-Turkey cooperation in addressing the refugee crisis and accelerate Turkey's membership talks.
Turkey has so far met most of the requirements for visa liberalization, but the EU's demands for change in Ankara's anti-terrorism laws led to a deadlock in negotiations.
The foiled July 15 coup attempt in Turkey and Ankara's declaration of a three-month state of emergency led to further uncertainty about future talks on visa liberalization. Ankara insists that due to the serious terrorism threat, it will not make any changes. "The Fetullah Terrorist Organization [FETO] has carried out attacks in Turkey, the PKK has done so, and Daesh too," Celik said. "Under these circumstances, asking Turkey to change its anti-terrorism law is putting the security of the country at risk as well as that of Europe".
 OIC lists Gulen network as 'terror group'Ankara Anatolia news agency (20.10.16) reports that the Organization of Islamic Cooperation (OIC) on Oct. 19 listed the movement of U.S.-based Islamic scholar Fethullah Gulen, believed to be behind Turkey's July 15 coup attempt, as a terrorist organization, Turkish Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu has said.
"We thank the Organization of Islamic Cooperation for showing solidarity by understanding our sensitivities and declaring [the Fethullah Terror Organization] FETO as a terror group," Cavusoglu posted on his Twitter account, describing the OIC's move as a "milestone."
The OIC's Parliamentary Union, meeting in the Uzbekistan capital Tashkent on Oct. 18, denounced all forms of terrorism in a joint declaration.
The body issued a declaration following the meeting expressing its solidarity with Turkey in fighting terror.
Last week, Foreign Ministers of Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC) member states also designated FETO a terrorist group and stressed their support for Ankara's crackdown on the network.
 Turkihs PM Yildirim sees better relations with Britain after BrexitTurkish daily Sabah (20.10.16) reports that Turkish Prime Minister Binali Yildirim said that there would be noteworthy progress made in foreign relations between Turkey and the U.K. since Britain left the EU through Brexit.
Speaking to economy editors of national newspapers in Istanbul on Saturday, the Prime Minister evaluated Turkish-U.K. relations saying the two countries have begun to hold talks to determine post-Brexit bilateral relations.
Turkey currently has a Customs Union Agreement with the EU, which involves the U.K. as a part of the EU. However, Britain needs to renew its trade deals with the entire world, since the country will no longer be a part of the EU's trade agreements with other countries. The U.K. is a major trade partner with Turkey, and bilateral trade between the two has been of great benefit to Turkey. TURKISH AFFAIRS SECTION