|Thursday, 22 August 2019|
Cyprus PIO: Turkish Cypriot and Turkish Media Review, 17-07-24
Cyprus Press and Information Office: Turkish Cypriot Press Review Directory - Previous Article - Next Article
From: The Republic of Cyprus Press and Information Office Server at <http://www.pio.gov.cy/>TURKISH CYPRIOT AND TURKISH MEDIA REVIEW No. 140/17 22-24.07.17
[A] TURKISH CYPRIOT / TURKISH PRESS
[A] TURKISH CYPRIOT / TURKISH PRESS
 Information that the Turkish side will allow the return of 20 thousand refugees to the fenced city of Varosha and to two Maronite villagesTurkish Cypriot daily Detay newspaper (24.07.17) writes that after the failure of the Crans-Montana Summit the Turkish Cypriot side and Turkey allegedly started planning new unilateral steps.
According to the new plans allegedly worked by the Turkish side, these plans include the return of 4,000 Maronites to the Maronite villages of Ayia Marina and Asomatos (which are under military control) along with the return of 16,000 Greek Cypriots to the fenced Varosha city. Thus, it is anticipated that the Turkish side plans to "allow" the return of 20,000 refugees to their homes and properties with one-sided steps.
The paper also reports about the statements by 'deputy prime minister" Serdar Denktas who stated to the Greek Cypriot Kathimerini newspaper that the Turkish Cypriot side may have initiatives to surprise the Greek Cypriots and the international community the way the barricades were opened in 2003.
 Turkish columnist argues that the non- implementation of the "economical protocol" one of the reasons that Turkes lost his post at the ministry reshuffleUnder the title: "Denktas is very, very unhappy from the government", columnist Gokhan Altiner, writes in Turkish Cypriot daily Kibris Postasi newspaper (24.07.17) that the non-implementation of the "economical protocol| in the breakaway regime seems to be one of the reasons that Deputy Prime Minister Tugrul Turkes, who was also in charge of Cyprus Affairs, lost his post during the cabinet reshuffle that took place in Turkey last week.
According to the columnist, despite the fact that the "coalition government" of the National Unity Party and the Democratic Party signed the "economic protocol", is avoiding its implementation, he notes that during his recent illegal visit to the occupied area of Cyprus, Turkes warned the "government' over the issue.
"Mr. Tugrul Bey has shown more than enough tolerance to the TRNC government but our government has deceived him. As a result, the perception that Turkes failed on Cyprus was born", Altiner writes adding that Turkes was the most informed Minister Responsible for Cyprus Affairs ever. According to Altiner, no-one knows who will be the next Minister.
In addition, Yeni Bakis (22.07.17) reported that during his recent visit to the breakaway regime for the anniversary of the Turkish invasion to Cyprus, the Turkish Prime Minister Binali Yildirim, also criticized the "government" for the non –implementation of the "economic protocol", warning them that no-more money will be sent from Turkey if the "protocol" is not implemented.
 British Ambassador to Ankara still has hopes for the Cyprus talksTurkish daily Hurriyet newspaper (24.07.17), under the title "Moore: We are against a referendum on North Iraq", publishes an interview of the British Ambassador to Ankara Richard Moore at Turkish private channel CnnTurk.
Commenting also on the failure of the Cyprus talks, Moore said: "There is huge lack of trust in Ankara and Athens. It is a crucial problem. Of course, the wounds of the past are deep. In other words, there are a lot of painful memories of the incidents of 1963 and 1974. It is a little difficult to reach a solution in this atmosphere. However, really, we almost reached a solution in Crans-Montana. At the moment, UN Secretary General told us 'please make an evaluation calmly', now, we all do this. I am a diplomat, I always have hopes."
 Erhurman comments on the Cyprus problemTurkish Cypriot daily Yeni Duzen newspaper (24.07.17) reports that Tufah Erhurman, leader of the Republican Turkish Party (CTP), in an interview to the paper, argued that there is a broad consensus for the solution in Cyprus among the Turkish Cypriots and added: "The Turkish Cypriots want to be recognized, accepted in the international arena. They want their children to have equal rights, the same opportunities with the children of other people. The split in their opinion is on the question 'how?'. Some prefer the two-state solution, some, the federation and some others the confederation".
Erhurman further argued: "The federation position based on the bi-communality , bi-zonality and the political equality, which has emerged in the beginning as a Turkish proposal, something we have tried to explain for a long time, was adopted as a solution formula by the Resolutions of the UN Security Council. Taking into consideration the today international conjuncture does not seem possible the change of this formula shortly or in the medium term." He also explained that the bi-zonal, bi-communal federation based on the political equality, as it is mentioned in the Resolutions of the UN Security Council, is the only realistic solution formula.
 Illegal Turkish ambassador to occupied Cyprus claimed: "I cannot remember when the Greek Cypriots suffered"Turkish Cypriot daily Afrika newspaper (22.07.17) reported that the illegal Turkish ambassador to the occupied area of the Republic of Cyprus Derya Kanbay alleged that he cannot remember when the Greek Cypriots have suffered, responding to the statement of some Turkish Cypriot youth that the Greek Cypriots have also suffered in what happened in 1974.
Kanbay further claimed that in the south, they continue to instil the children with "unhealthy minds", adding: "We do not want to instil the youth with anger, forcefulness and hostility; however, we want them to know very well the past of their parents and grandparents".
Afrika reports that Kanbay's statement that "he cannot remember" has surprised them more than the statement of the youth that "they also suffered". The paper criticized Kanbay's statement by wondering: "Can the 167 thousands of Greek Cypriots, who were expelled from their land by force of arms, suffer? Can the Greek Cypriot families of those who were killed, suffer? Or can those who have lost their half island to suffer? Is there no agonizing in these things esteemed ambassador?"
 No steps taken for the "cancellation of the decision to give land" to Eroglu's daughterTurkish Cypriot daily Havadis newspaper (24.07.17 the fate of the vacant plot that was "given" to the daughter of the former Turkish Cypriot leader Dervis Eroglu, Resmiye Canaltay, is still not clear.
According to the paper, no "official step" has been taken yet for the "cancellation" of the decision on land that was given by the "government" to Eroglu's daughter, who owns a company that did not show profit for the last three years.
Though the "government" said it would cancel its "decision", no steps were taken. Despite the frustration among them, Dervis Eroglu learned from "prime minister" Husseyin Ozgurgun that he was in favor of "not canceling the decision". It is known that the "government" has had serious problems in itself after the "land allocation".
The land was given to Resmiye Canaltay for 40 years in order to construct a 5-star hotel, writes the paper.
 The water project is failing in the breakaway regimeTurkish Cypriot daily Havadis newspaper (24.07.17) reports that the policy with witch the 75 million cubic meters of water that annually come from Turkey will prevent the depletion of underground water resources in the occupied area of Cyprus is failing.
While the water from Turkey has not yet reached the whole of the breakaway regime, the "district governorships" continue to "grant permission" to open wells. "Permission for "fourteen new wells were "granted" in 2017, mostly in occupied Morfou area.
A year has passed since the water from Turkey had started to be distributed as water for drinking and farming; however the infrastructure to realize the transfer of water to be used in agriculture has not yet occurred. It is unclear how subterranean, surface waters will be managed. "In this uncertainty new permits continue to be granted", writes the paper.
According to the "distribution application" initiated in June of last year, the Turkish State Hydraulic Works (DSI) brings water up to the reservoir and the distribution rests to "municipalities".
In accordance with the agreement between Turkey and the "TRNC", during this one-year transition period, the breakaway regime will issue a "water law" for all water resources in the "country" and will form a "Water Supreme Council" to govern the water resources and form water strategies.
Currently there are 14 thousand 688 wells in the "TRNC", 14 thousand 260 of these belong to private individuals. The "state" has its own number of water wells of 428.
 The minimum wage in the occupied area of Cyprus has been raised to 2,175TLAccording to illegal Bayrak television (online, 22.07.17), the self-styled minister of labour and social security Hamza Ersan Saner has pointed out that the current "government" has raised the minimum wage by 445 Turkish Liras in total since taking "office".
In a written statement on the issue, Saner said that the "UBP-DP coalition government" had introduced a 26% raise to the minimum wage in the past year bringing the current wage to 2,175TL.
He said that the "decision" to raise the minimum wage to 2175TL was taken with a majority vote after workers' representatives and the "state representatives" agreed on a proposal to reflect onto salaries the 7.68% rise in the cost of living.
Saner pointed out that employer representatives had objected to the increase.
Saner added that the "government" had first raised the minimum wage by 104TL when coming to "office" in June 2016, followed by a second 186TL raise in February 2017 and the latest 155TL raise this month, bringing the increase to a total of 445TL in the last year.
"There are new and satisfactory efforts by our ministry to support employment in the private sector. Our goal is to enable the private sector to be attractive so as to encourage local labour employment", he argued.
 A 5-star hotel project to be built in occupied TrikomoUnder the title "Public to discuss plans for 5-star hotel project", Turkish Cypriot weekly Cyprus Today newspaper (22.07.17) reports the following:
"Plans are afoot to demolish Iskele's Long Beach resort (editor's note: occupied village of Trikomo) to make way for a $44 million DMG Investment Ltd five-star hotel on more than 60 donums of beachfront land leased from the 'government'.
A public meeting will be held on Thursday, July 27, (…) in the village of Aygun (occupied Agios Georgios), near Iskele (occupied Trikomo), when an environmental impact assessment report will be presented to local stakeholders as required by law.
The 680-bed project is proposed by the son of Acapulco resort hotelier Unal Caginer, who heads both DMG Investment and the board of trustees of the International Final Universtiy.
The five-storey complex will include conference and meeting rooms, restaurants and bars, pools, green and sports areas, a spa and sports hall on 47% of the 'Blue area' tourism-zoned plot."
 Erdogan calls on Israel to act in line with law and fundamental human valuesAccording to Turkish daily Hurriyet Daily News (online, 23.07.17), Turkey's President Recep Tayyip Erdogan urged Israeli security forces to avoid using violence in the fresh unrest at a holy site in the Old City of Jerusalem and act in line with international law and fundamental human values on July 23.
Speaking to reporters at a news conference in Istanbul Ataturk Airport before heading to Saudi Arabia, Erdogan said that the Muslim world will not remain silent amid ongoing violations at Al-Aqsa mosque compound in Jerusalem.
Protests erupted in Jerusalem after the mosque's leadership spoke out against metal detectors that were installed following a gun attack on July 14 that left two Israeli police officers dead along with three Arab attackers.
Three Palestinians were killed on July 21 after clashes erupted between Israeli forces and protesters over new security measures at a highly sensitive Jerusalem holy site, the Palestinian Health Ministry said. Three Israelis were stabbed to death in a Jewish settlement in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, hours after the three Palestinians were killed.
Israel's military said it has sent more troops to the West Bank after the attack. Two Palestinians died in clashes with Israeli forces on July 22 as the army moved in to seal off an attacker's home.
The security measures at the Noble Sanctuary-Temple Mount compound in Jerusalem's walled Old City.led to a wave of anger among Palestinians, who called for the immediate removal of the detectors. However, Israel has refused to back down, saying the detectors match security measures at other holy sites around the world.
Turkish Prime Minister Binali Y?ld?r?m also condemned recent Israeli restrictions. According a post on Binali Y?ld?r?m's official Twitter account, "Muslims' access to Al-Aqsa being restricted for any reason is unacceptable".
In a series of posts, he said, "We are waiting for Israel to correct this wrong by heeding the Islamic world's sensitivities."
"Terror is a common threat to all humanity. Terror has no religion, language, or race. We strongly condemn terror once more", the statement added.
On the same issue, the paper reports that main opposition Republican People's Party (CHP) Kemal K?l?cdaroglu criticized also Israel's "intervention" at the al-Aqsa mosque, which has led to the escalation of tensions in Jerusalem.
"The right to faith and worship is the basic right of all people," K?l?cdaroglu said on his official Twitter account on July 23.
K?l?cdaroglu extended condolences for those "martyred" and injured while attending worship in Palestine.
"Israeli intervention of the right to worship at al-Aqsa is unacceptable," he said.
 Seventeen Turkish daily Cumhuriyet journalists, executives go on trial in IstanbulAccording to Turkish daily Hurriyet Daily News (online, 24.07.17), the trial of 17 daily Cumhuriyet journalists, including Ahmet S?k, Kadri Gursel and Musa Kart will begin in the 27th Heavy Penal Court in Istanbul on July 24 and last for four days.
Two of the suspects are on the run, while 11 of them are imprisoned.
Lawmakers, journalists, rights activists, Cumhuriyet readers and many citizens gathered in front of the Caglayan courthouse starting early in the morning. Another group gathered in front of the Cumhuriyet building in the Sisli district and started to march towards the courthouse at around 9 a.m.
The former editor-in-chief of the daily, Can Dundar, was named as the prime suspect in the indictment prepared by the Istanbul Chief Public Prosecutor's Office.
The charges directed at the suspects include "membership of an armed terrorist organization" and "helping an armed terrorist organization while not being a member of it."
Prosecutors are seeking between 7.5 and 15 years in prison sentence for Dundar, editor-in-chief Murat Sabuncu, IPI Board Member Kadri Gursel, Ayd?n Engin, Bulent Yener and Gunseli Ozaltay for "helping an armed terrorist organization while not being a member".
CEO of the daily Ak?n Atalay, Mehmet Orhan Erinc and Onder Celik are charged with "helping an armed terrorist organization while not being a member" and "abusing trust," with the prosecutor demanding between 11.5 and 43 years in jail for them.
Between 9.5 and 29 years in jail is demanded for Bulent Utku, caricaturist Musa Kart, Hakan Karasinir, Mustafa Kemal Gungor and Hikmet Aslan Cetinkaya on the same charges as those directed at Atalay, Erinc and Celik.
In addition, the prosecutor sought between 7.5 and 15 years in prison for journalist Ahmet S?k for "helping and being a member of the PKK and the DHKP/C".
TURKISH AFFAIRS SECTION
(DPs / AM)
Copyright (C) 2017 Press and Information Office, All rights reserved.