|Monday, 15 October 2018|
Cyprus PIO: Turkish Cypriot and Turkish Media Review, 17-10-13
Cyprus Press and Information Office: Turkish Cypriot Press Review Directory - Previous Article - Next Article
From: The Republic of Cyprus Press and Information Office Server at <http://www.pio.gov.cy/>TURKISH CYPRIOT AND TURKISH MEDIA REVIEW
CONTENTSNo. 198/17 13.10.17
[A] TURKISH CYPRIOT / TURKISH PRESS
[A] TURKISH CYPRIOT / TURKISH PRESS
 Akinci: "The Turkish Cypriot side desires a new order where they can live in freedom, political equality and security"According to illegal Bayrak television (online, 13.10.17), the Turkish Cypriot leader Mustafa Akinci has claimed that a transformation is needed in the Greek Cypriot side's mentality if a mutually acceptable solution is to be found to the Cyprus problem.
Akinci's words came during a visit paid to him today by the new executive board of the"Society of Martyrs' Families and Disabled War Veterans".
Speaking during the visit, Akinci expressed the hope that the Greek Cypriot side will derive lessons from the past in order to achieve a desired outcome on the Cyprus issue. "I hope that more people will not have to die on this island… I believe that people have suffered enough. We need a new system to establish a better and stronger future so that the bitter experiences of the past will not be repeated", he reiterated.
Stating that efforts to reach a solution in Cyprus have been going on for years, Akinci said that he himself for the past 2.5 years in "office" had tried to derive lessons from the past whilst working for a better and brighter future.
"The Turkish Cypriot side desires a new order where the Turkish Cypriots can live in freedom, political equality and security. Our efforts have failed but we are not responsible for this failure. Everyone has seen that. Our hope is that the leadership in the South derives the proper lessons, develop the proper understanding and to achieve the necessary transformation so that a mutually acceptable settlement can be reached", he argued.
 Burcu claimed that the Turkish Cypriot side should have a say in talks with the British government regarding the British Bases in CyprusAccording to illegal Bayrak television (13.10.17), Baris Burcu, the spokesman of the Turkish Cypriot leader Mustafa Akinci, has claimed that the Turkish Cypriot side should have a say in negotiations with the British government on the status of the military bases post Brexit.
Burcu argued that international law dictated that discussions of the status of the Turkish Cypriots living and working in the bases must also take place with them.
In a statement, Burcu said that Akinci had met with representatives of the Turkish Cypriots working in the sovereign base areas on September 11th and was informed about their problems, views, and expectations with regard to the change of status. "The Turkish Cypriot side is ready to engage in the necessary consultations on the matter with UK officials, who are expected to take into consideration the balance between the two sides on the island", Burcu argued.
Earlier this month, Cyprus Foreign Minister Ioannis Kasoulides had announced that the Cyprus government would start negotiations with the British government on the rights and status of Turkish Cypriots and Greek Cypriots working on the British sovereign bases.
Burcu reminded that there were certain provisions in the additional 3rd protocol of the EU Accession Agreement regarding persons residing or working in the British Bases area. The same protocol, he added, does not harm the 1960 Treaty of Establishment which safeguards the rights of the Turkish Cypriots.
 Ertugruloglu holds contacts in LondonTurkish Cypriot daily Gunes newspaper (13.10.17) reports that Tahsin Ertugruloglu, self-styled foreign minister of the breakaway regime in the occupied area of the Republic of Cyprus, is holding contacts in London. According to a statement issued by his "ministry", Ertugruloglu met with "some" British Deputies, the Turkish Ambassador to London, Abdurraham Bilgic and UK's former Foreign Secretary Sir Malcolm Rifkind. He also gave an interview to Politico news channel, which is based in Brussels.
During his contacts, Ertugruloglu expressed the view that Britain, which is guarantor power in Cyprus and knows the Cyprus problem better than anyone else, should do whatever it takes "for the materialization of the reality that two equal sides exist in Cyprus". He alleged that it is not possible for the "old process to be revived again" as it lasted for 50 years and failed. He claimed that the Turkish Cypriots are an "equal partner" and not a minority.
Moreover, Ertugruloglu also alleged that support should be offered to the Turkish Cypriots in the direction of the lifting of the so-called embargoes and of sitting at the negotiating table on the basis of equality. He claimed the following: "It was once more seen at Crans Montana that success could not be secured from the old process and the process ended. The new process in Cyprus must definitely start on the basis of equality and the two states, the embargoes should be lifted and the Turkish Cypriot people should be rescued from isolation. The two states in Cyprus could build their future with good neighbouring relations, like now. This is what the Turkish Cypriot people expect from the international community. […]"
During his contacts in London, Ertugruloglu will brief the "group of friendship" in the British Parliament and give various interviews.
 So-called deputy Caglar attended PACE's meetings in StrasburgTurkish Cypriot daily Yeni Duzen newspaper (13.10.17) reports that the so-called deputy of the Republican Turkish Party (CTP) Mehmet Caglar, who "represented" the occupation regime in the plenary session of the Parliamentary Assembly of the Council of Europe (PACE) in Strasburg, delivered a speech during the meeting of the Committee on migration, refugees and displaced persons.
Caglar briefed the Committee about the population exchange that took place in 1974 as a result of the Turkish invasion to Cyprus and recalled that "not only the Greek Cypriots but also the Turkish Cypriots left behind their properties in the north and the south accordingly".
Caglar briefed also the Committee about the operation of the "Immovable property Commission".
Caglar said that the Turkish Cypriots still do not have the right of voting at the Council of Europe elections and underlined further that they still have the "observer status" at the meetings of PACE. "I hope that as Turkish Cypriot community we will take forward our rights in the international arena", Caglar claimed.
 "In one meeting, 13 more new citizenships"Turkish Cypriot daily Yeni Duzen newspaper (13.10.17) with the above title reports that the "coalition government" of UBP – DP (National Unity Party – Democratic Party) continues to grant "exceptional or mandatory citizenships" with a decision of the "council of ministers", except those who gained the right for an "ordinary citizenship" or those who got this status with the approval of the "ministry".
The "council of ministers" justified its decision according to "article 9, paragraph (1), clause (c) and (b) of the citizenship law" for the new thirteen "citizenships", which went into effect by being published in the "official gazette" on October 10, 2017.
The paper further reports that this "article" refers to the "exceptional citizenship" and removes the conditions of "residing in the TRNC for five continuous years backwards from the date of the application" as well as "the confirmation that it is decided to settle in the TRNC".
The paper also publishes the list with the names of the 13 persons, who obtained the "citizenship" after a meeting of the "council of ministers" on October 3.
 Early "elections" in the occupied area of Cyprus possibly on Jan 7According to illegal Bayrak television (13.10.17), the breakaway regime in the occupied area of Cyprus could be holding early elections on the 7th of January 2017, that is according to the leader of the main opposition Republican Turkish Party (CTP) Tufan Erhurman and self-styled prime minister Huseyin Ozgurgun.
The 7th of January was announced by Erhurman during a program he attended yesterday.
Erhurman, who was responding to an earlier statement by Ozgurgun who called on the CTP to determine a date for possible "early elections", said that the 7th of January was the earliest possible date for "elections". "We will be proposing this date in parliament. The prime minister wanted a date… we are giving him one", he said.
Shortly afterwards, Ozgurgun speaking on BRT's evening news wished good luck to all those planning to run in the "early elections". "A date has been given and we will do what is necessary", he said. He also said that he found the CTP leader's call quite sincere and clear.
 New operation against FETO in 13 Turkish provinces including the occupied area of CyprusUnder the title "25 more army officers wanted over Gulen links", Turkish daily Hurriyet Daily News (online, 12.10.17) reported that the public prosecutor's office of the southeastern province of Mardin on Oct. 12 issued detention warrants for 25 military officers over suspected links to the Fethullahist Terrorist Organizaton (FETO), state-run Anadolu Agency has reported.
Police launched simultaneous operations, coordinated from Mardin and taking place in 13 provinces across the country including Istanbul, Ankara, Malatya, Adana, and Konya, as well as in "Turkish Cyprus" [occupied area of the Republic of Cyprus], to find the officers on active duty and of various ranks.
The soldiers are accused of being in the "secret military structuring" of the Gulen network , widely believed to have been behind the July 2016 coup attempt.
Separately, the public prosecutor's office of the northwestern province of Edirne on Oct. 12 issued detention warrants for seven soldiers on active duty. Five of the soldiers have been so far detained as part of simultaneous operations launched in seven provinces including Mardin, S?rnak, Kars, Ankara and Istanbul.
Police are continuing their work to capture the remaining two suspects.
 Durust on the safety of the occupied airport of TymbouAccording to illegal Bayrak television (online, 13.10.17), the self-styled minister of public works and communications Kemal Durust has refuted claims that instructions and information given by the air control at "Ercan Airport" [occupied airport of Tymbou] compromises flight safety.
In a statement issued, Durust claimed that "Ercan airport" is an airport equipped with the latest technology, and alleged that the reports which claimed that the air control at "Ercan airport" was confusing pilots by giving them instructions which conflicted with Greek Cypriot air traffic control were deliberate and did not reflect the truth.
"As yesterday, Ercan airport today continues to carry out its duties and responsibilities in a safe manner in line with International Civil Aviation Safety Regulations", he further claimed.
Durust also alleged that the false reports were politically motivated and that contrary to claims air controllers working at "Ercan airport" are internationally certified and trained to use the latest technology.
"The Greek Cypriot administration's [Cyprus government] stance stems from its desire to create the perception it is the sole authority over the island's Flight Information Region (FIR). Ercan airport is among airports such as the airports in Ankara, Istanbul, Izmir, Dalaman and Antalya which are equipped with the latest technology", he alleged.
He concluded by claiming that the technology left little to no room for any risk of collision of planes flying over the area.
 Turkey, Iraq to mull over joint actions against KRG's independence bid; Iraq launches operation to retake KirkukAccording to Turkish daily Hurriyet Daily News (online, 13.10.17), Turkey and Iraq will hold talks over the weekend at the prime ministerial-level in Baghdad in order to coordinate measures to be taken against the Iraqi Kurdistan Regional Government's (KRG) independence bid, including oil and economic trade sanctions.
Prime Minister Binali Y?ld?r?m is expected to travel to Baghdad over the weekend to meet Iraqi Prime Minister Haidar al-Abadi and other senior officials, diplomatic sources told the Hurriyet Daily News on Oct. 12.
Y?ld?r?m is expected to be accompanied by the Foreign, Energy and Trade Ministers along with other officials on his Baghdad trip where all aspects of bilateral relations as well as joint actions against the independence bid of the Iraqi Kurds will be discussed.
After the talks, a joint communique is also expected to be released, which will highlight the two sides' commitment to the protection of territorial integrity, political unity and the constitutional order of the Iraqi state. It is also expected to highlight Ankara and Baghdad's intention to develop existing ties through boosting economic, energy and political ties.
A key issue Iraq and Turkey will work on is the ways in which oil trade between the two countries will be coordinated by bypassing the Arbil government.
Turkey has told the KRG it could suspend its oil trade as well as close the Habur border gate; however, diplomatic sources underlined the need to consult with the Iraqi government before implementing such measures. All potential actions need to be discussed through their conformity with the constitutional and legal obligations, the sources said.
"We said we will implement a number of measures against the KRG but we also made clear that we will take all these measures in coordination with the Iraqi central government," the sources said.
In order not to cut the entire traffic from Turkey into Iraq, there is the need to open a new border gate that would be under the control of the Iraqi central government, Ankara has long been saying, recalling that the infrastructure works for the Ovakoy border gate is yet to be completed although the two countries had in the past agreed on it.
The two countries will also discuss how a measure on oil trade could be imposed on the KRG. Diplomatic sources recall that Iraq had filed an international arbitration against Turkey after Turkish companies made deals with the KRG in 2010 to import crude oil and underline Ankara's expectation from Baghdad to withdraw its appeal from court.
Turkey has been importing crude oil from the KRG ever since Arbil and Baghdad failed to agree on revenue sharing of oil exports.
In a recent move, Iraq has announced its decision to increase the volume of oil being transported through the Kirkuk-Yumurtal?k pipeline from the current 120,000 barrels a day to 400,000 barrels a day.
Meanwhile, Turkish daily Sabah newspaper (online, 13.10.17), under the title "Iraq launches operation to retake disputed Kirkuk province from KRG", reports that the Iraqi army launched an operation Friday to retake disputed Kirkuk province from the Kurdistan Regional Government (KRG), a top general said.
The confirmation came after KRG officials stated Friday that thousands of fighters were deployed around the disputed oil city for fear of an attack by Iraqi government troops and militia after the controversial independence referendum rejected by Baghdad and neighbouring Turkey and Iran.
 Erdogan: "No one can question Turkey's presence in Syria's Idlib"Turkish daily Hurriyet Daily News (online, 13.10.17) reports that Turkey's President Recep Tayyip Erdogan said on Oct. 13 that no one has the right to question Turkey's actions regarding developments on its border, particularly the military operation in Syria's Idlib province.
"We have borders with Idlib and we have to take measures. No one can say to us: 'Why are you doing this?' We have a 911-kilometer border with Syria. It is us who are under threat at every moment", Erdogan said.
On the same issue, HDN also reports that the Turkish military announced on Oct. 13 that its elements began forming monitoring spots in Syria's Idlib province as part of efforts to create a "de-escalation zone" to end the Syrian war.
In a statement issued on Oct. 13, the Turkish Armed Forces stated that the formation of monitoring spots began as of Oct. 12 in coordination with surveillance activities launched on Oct. 8.
The military also reminded that the Turkish mission was conducting its duties in the region "within the rules of engagement".
Separately, the first convoy of Turkish forces crossed into Syria's Idlib province late on Oct. 12 as part of efforts to create a "de-escalation zone" to end the Syrian war. The military convoy included some 30 armoured vehicles and over 100 soldiers, mostly special commando forces.
Meanwhile, some 15 tanks were also dispatched to the area between the Ogulp?nar post and a wall being built near the border.
TURKISH AFFAIRS SECTION
(DPs / AM)
Copyright (C) 2017 Press and Information Office, All rights reserved.