HR-Net - Hellenic Resources Network Compact version
Today's Suggestion
Browse through our Collection of Internet Directories by Country
HomeAbout HR-NetNewsWeb SitesDocumentsOnline HelpUsage InformationContact us
Friday, 20 October 2017
 
News
  Latest News (All)
     From Greece
     From Cyprus
     From Europe
     From Balkans
     From Turkey
     From USA
  Announcements
  World Press
  News Archives
Web Sites
  Hosted
  Mirrored
  Interesting Nodes
Documents
  Special Topics
  Treaties, Conventions
  Constitutions
  U.S. Agencies
  Cyprus Problem
  Other
Services
  Personal NewsPaper
  Greek Fonts
  Tools
  F.A.Q.
 

Athens News Agency: News in English, 08-08-22

Athens News Agency: News in English Directory - Previous Article - Next Article

From: The Athens News Agency at <http://www.ana.gr/>

CONTENTS

  • [01] PASOK criticises gov't reaction
  • [02] PASOK MP attacked
  • [03] Molyviatis on wildfire regions

  • [01] PASOK criticises gov't reaction

    A main opposition PASOK spokesman on Friday called the government's reaction to a 1.2-million-euro contribution, presented on Thursday by party leader George Papandreou to wildfire-ravaged residents in Ilia prefecture, as "miserly". Spokesman George Papaconstantinou said his party was awaiting "for the minimum symbolic recognition" by the government, adding that the government is being judged very strictly by local residents for omissions in the prefecture.

    PASOK donated one-third of its state election subsidy to wildfire sufferers.

    Asked by reporters during a regular press conference on how the contribution was accumulated given a strain on PASOK's finances, Papaconstantinou acknowledged that PASOK has an outstanding debt, yet still decided to go through with the move.

    "PASOK has borrowed against future state subsidisation beyond the current fiscal year... Figures will soon be published so that there is complete transparency," he said.

    Finally, he defended the party's decision to borrow against future state revenue transfers, saying all parties spend more than they receive and have budget deficits, particularly during election periods.

    Caption: ANA-MPA file photo of PASOK spokesman George Papaconstantinou.

    [02] PASOK MP attacked

    Main opposition PASOK deputy Petros Efthymiou, a former party spokesman and minister, was attacked with a crowbar outside his office in central Athens on Friday, police said.

    According to police, one of two assailants struck Efthymiou in the head with a crowbar. Efthymiou was taken to nearby Evangelismos Hospital for first aid treatment.

    Gov't, PASOK reactions

    In a later response, government spokesman Theodoros Roussopoulos issued a stern condemnation of the assault.

    "These outrageous actions only strenghen the engagement of the society to enforce the quality of democracy and political dialogue in the country. It's evident that authorities will thouroughly investigate the case in order for the assailants to be sent before justice," he said.

    On his part, PASOK party spokesman George Papaconstantinou said the attack was cowardly, adding that what PASOK demands the perpetrators to be found. "An attack against a member of Parliament is an attack against the institutions," he said.

    Caption: ANA-MPA file photo of PASOK deputy Petros Efthymiou.

    [03] Molyviatis on wildfire regions

    Petros Molyviatis, the special emergency fund president for wildfire-ravaged areas in the Peloponnese, made an account of work accomplished so far in regions, in statements on Friday.

    "Of course, all the problems have not been resolved, all the damage has not been remedied and all the homes burnt have not been rebuilt. And, probably, it would be impossible for all this to be done in a year," the former foreign minister said.

    "However, what has been done is not a little. It is known that the government has spent 400 million euros so far for aid and support for the wildfire-stricken. And 200 million of it have been provided, and rightly so, for the prefecture of Ilia," Molyviatis added.

    He also said that the government has announced programmes in the region of one billion euros for the reconstruction and development of the wildfire-stricken regions.

    Caption: ANA-MPA file photo of special emergency fund president for wildfire-ravaged areas in the Peloponnese, Petros Molyviatis.


    Athens News Agency: News in English Directory - Previous Article - Next Article
    Back to Top
    Copyright 1995-2016 HR-Net (Hellenic Resources Network). An HRI Project.
    All Rights Reserved.

    HTML by the HR-Net Group / Hellenic Resources Institute, Inc.
    ana2html v2.01 run on Friday, 22 August 2008 - 18:30:31 UTC