HR-Net - Hellenic Resources Network Compact version
Today's Suggestion
Read the chronology of Turkish actions & claims against Greece, 1955-1996
HomeAbout HR-NetNewsWeb SitesDocumentsOnline HelpUsage InformationContact us
Saturday, 21 October 2017
 
News
  Latest News (All)
     From Greece
     From Cyprus
     From Europe
     From Balkans
     From Turkey
     From USA
  Announcements
  World Press
  News Archives
Web Sites
  Hosted
  Mirrored
  Interesting Nodes
Documents
  Special Topics
  Treaties, Conventions
  Constitutions
  U.S. Agencies
  Cyprus Problem
  Other
Services
  Personal NewsPaper
  Greek Fonts
  Tools
  F.A.Q.
 

Athens Macedonian News Agency: News in English, 13-03-03

Athens News Agency: News in English Directory - Previous Article - Next Article

From: The Athens News Agency at <http://www.ana.gr/>

CONTENTS

  • [01] Farewell tour at National Gallery ahead of closure for renovation, expansion

  • [01] Farewell tour at National Gallery ahead of closure for renovation, expansion

    AMNA/ A farewell tour was held Saturday at the National Art Gallery in central Athens, which closes on Tuesday for 850 days, to reopen on Christmas Day 2015, fully renovated and occupying double of its present expanse.

    More than six million people have visited the Gallery over the past 20 years, 95 percent of them Greeks and the other 5 percent foreign tourists, figures that belie the myth that the Greeks are indifferent to culture, according to Gallery director Marina Lambraki-Plaka, who greeted the public on the final tour before the building closes for the commencement of the renovation work in April.

    The farewell tour was held on the second floor of the Gallery, taking in the collections of 20th century paintings of Greek artists in the exhibition halls that had been revamped in 2000 with funding by the Stavros Niarchos Foundation and funds from the Community Support Framework (CSF).

    The Gallery's collections, which number some 15,000 paintings, sculptures and engravings will be stored in safe-deposit facilities of the National Bank of Greece, while a selection of artwork will be exhibited periodically at the National Glyptotheque, the sculpture museum that is an annex of the National Gallery in Goudi.


    Athens News Agency: News in English Directory - Previous Article - Next Article
    Back to Top
    Copyright 1995-2016 HR-Net (Hellenic Resources Network). An HRI Project.
    All Rights Reserved.

    HTML by the HR-Net Group / Hellenic Resources Institute, Inc.
    ana2html v2.01 run on Sunday, 3 March 2013 - 17:38:08 UTC