HR-Net - Hellenic Resources Network Compact version
Today's Suggestion
Read the Council of Europe European Convention on Human Rights (4 November 1950)
HomeAbout HR-NetNewsWeb SitesDocumentsOnline HelpUsage InformationContact us
Friday, 20 October 2017
 
News
  Latest News (All)
     From Greece
     From Cyprus
     From Europe
     From Balkans
     From Turkey
     From USA
  Announcements
  World Press
  News Archives
Web Sites
  Hosted
  Mirrored
  Interesting Nodes
Documents
  Special Topics
  Treaties, Conventions
  Constitutions
  U.S. Agencies
  Cyprus Problem
  Other
Services
  Personal NewsPaper
  Greek Fonts
  Tools
  F.A.Q.
 

The Hellenic Radio (ERA): News in English, 09-08-06

The Hellenic Radio (ERA): News in English Directory - Previous Article - Next Article

From: The Hellenic Radio (ERA) <www.ert.gr/>

CONTENTS

  • [01] She Burns Him after Harassing Her
  • [02] Controlled Administration of Antiviral Medicines
  • [03] Break of Cool Weather Ahead
  • [04] Optimism for Scouts Health State
  • [05] Hiroshima Mourns 64th Atomic Bomb Anniversary
  • [06] Changes in Armed Forces Leadership
  • [07] Bakoyiannis Appeals for Stability in Georgia
  • [08] Containers with Toxic Waste back to Britain

  • [01] She Burns Him after Harassing Her

    Last Updated on Thursday, 06 August 2009 17:09

    A 26-year-old woman was charged with injury counts. The woman allegedly set a 23-year-old Briton on fire after spraying him with alcohol. She claimed the Briton harassed her at a bar where she was having fun. The accident took place in the Malia summer resort, Crete.

    An unbelievable accident occurred at the Cretan summer resort of Malia.A 26-year-old woman set a Briton tourist, 23, on fire, because he sexually harassed her.

    Police sources said that the Briton was having fun with his friends at a night club. The woman was in the same club with her friends, when the Briton started flirting with her intensely.

    However, the woman's lack of response made the Briton become more aggressive.

    Witnesses said the Briton was drunk and sexually harassed the 26-year-old woman, who got really angry. She snatched a bottle of alcohol from the bar, sprayed the young tourist with liquor and set him on fire.

    She then ran away from the club. Later on, she turned herself in.

    The British guy was transferred to a clinic, suffering from burns.

    News item: 25546

    [02] Controlled Administration of Antiviral Medicines

    Last Updated on Thursday, 06 August 2009 19:15

    The administration of antiviral medicines will be controlled across Greece, with the EOF (National Organization for Medicines) officials closely monitoring the whole process. In case of abnormalities, offenders will be sanctions, since the key goal is to shield the population from developing resistance to antiviral medicines.

    EOF strongly advised doctors and pharmacists to fill in the side effects card, when such develop.

    Stiff penalties await offenders

    In the meantime, the 39yo male who had been in the intensive care unity since 19 July was taken to the pneumology clinic of the Herakleion Hospital. At the same time, another patient, aged 30, who has been in the same hospital for five days, seems to have improved.

    As for the 16-year-old British girl, doctors called her condition stable.

    Source: NET, NET 105.8

    News item: 25545

    [03] Break of Cool Weather Ahead

    Last Updated on Thursday, 06 August 2009 13:42

    Temperature fall and sporadic showers are forecast for mainland Greece. The National Meteorological Service expects mercury to go down starting from Thursday and showers in central and northern Greece.

    News item: 25540

    [04] Optimism for Scouts Health State

    Last Updated on Thursday, 06 August 2009 17:00

    Still in serious condition are two under-age scouts, a boy and a girl, who were injured along with 11 others. They are hospitalized in the intensive care unit of Heraklio Children Hospital. They were struck by a private car while standing at the bus stop in Ierapetra on the island of Crete waiting to take a bus. The health state of the third seriously injured 11-year old scout is improving. He was transferred from the intensive care unit to the surgery department.

    Doctors appear optimistic as the health of all other boy and girl scouts injured in the same accident is improving

    Driver Temporarily Free

    The 20 year old driver, who lost control of the car, appeared before the public prosecutor. He was freed till test results come out to see whether he was driving under the influence of alcohol.

    News item: 25539

    [05] Hiroshima Mourns 64th Atomic Bomb Anniversary

    News

    Last Updated on Thursday, 06 August 2009 15:16

    Some 50,000 people, survivors of the tragedy and representatives from over 50 countries, gathered Thursday at the peace park in Hiroshima to mourn the 64th anniversary of the atomic bombing of the city by U.S. forces during the World War II. Hiroshima Mayor Tadatoshi Akiba delivered a peace declaration, calling for the abolition of nuclear weapons by 2020.

    Hiroshima Mayor Tadatoshi Akiba urged the people around the world to join the city's efforts to abolish nuclear weapons in response to U.S. President Barack Obama appeal for a world free of nuclear weapons.

    During the 50-minute memorial ceremony, a moment of silence was observed at 08:15 a.m., the time the atomic bomb detonated over Hiroshima 64 years ago, killing nearly 100,000 people in a blink.

    The U.S. bombing of Hiroshima, which took place on the morning of Aug. 6, 1945, led to the deaths of an estimated 140,000 people toward the end of World War II.

    On Aug. 9, a second nuclear bomb was dropped on the city of Nagasaki killing 70.000 people, and six days later, Japan surrendered. In the years since the war, many people have developed diseases that are considered to be related to exposure to radiation created by the bombs.

    Source: - NA/PA

    Hiroshima then and today. See video:

    <!-- AllVideos Reloaded Plugin (v1.2.4.1054) starts here -->JavaScript is disabled! To display this content, you need a JavaScript capable browser.Adobe Flash Player not installed or older than 9.0.115!

    swfobject.embedSWF('/plugins/content/avreloaded/mediaplayer.swf','avreloaded0','400','320','9.0.115','/plugins/content/avreloaded/expressinstall.swf',

    {file:'http://www.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3DKw7IXSqhL3U',width:'400',height:'320',image:'http://i.ytimg.com/vi/Kw7IXSqhL3U/default.jpg',showeq:'false',searchbar:'false',enablejs:'false',autostart:'false',showicons:'true',showstop:'false',showdigits:'true',

    showdownload:'false',usefullscreen:'false',backcolor:'0xFFFFFF',frontcolor:'0x000000',

    lightcolor:'0x000000',screencolor:'0x000000',overstretch:'false'}

    ,{allowscriptaccess:'always',seamlesstabbing:'true',allowfullscreen:'true',wmode:'window',bgcolor:'#FFFFFF',menu:'true'},

    {id:'p_avreloaded0',styleclass:'allvideos'});

    ERTonline <!-- AllVideos Reloaded Plugin (v1.2.4.1054) ends here -->

    News item: 25537

    [06] Changes in Armed Forces Leadership

    Last Updated on Thursday, 06 August 2009 16:33

    The Government Council for Foreign Affairs and Defense( KYSEA), which held an extraordinary meeting chaired by Prime-minister Kostas Karamanlis decided changes in the Armed Forces leadership. Lieutenant General Ioannis Yiagos, till present chief of Air Force was appointed chief of the Armed Forces General Staff to replace outgoing Dimitris Grapsas. Lieutenant General Basilis Klokozas is the Air Force new chief of staff and lieutenant general Fragos Fragoulis is the new chief of the army staff.PASOK spoke of lack of planning and accused the government of indifference for combat fitness and operational alertness of the Armed Forces.

    The Government Council for Foreign Affairs and Defense held an extraordinary meeting chaired by the Prime-minister to decided changes in the Armed Forces leadership. Lieutenant General Ioannis Iagos was appointed chief of the Armed Forces Genearl Staff replacing general Dimitris Grapsas who is to retire. Lieutenant General Basilis Klokozas is the Air Force new chief of staff and lieutenant general Fragos Fragoulis is the new chief of the army staff.

    Changes in the Armed Forces leadership came a few months earlier ( usually December) to follow other European countries which proceeded to changes.

    Reactions to changes in Armed Forces leadership

    PASOK spokesman on defense issues Baso Papandreou said:

    Today's extraordinary judgments at Armed Forces high rankings, a few months after March 2009 non-meritocratic judgments, six months prior to regular judgments and for the first time in mid summer unprecedented in the history of the Armed Forces indicates lack of plan and the government's indifference for combat fitness and operational alertness of the Armed Forces.

    Mrs. Papandreou also underlined that PASOK commits itself when it takes office to restore meritocracy and combat fitness in the Armed forces.

    Source: Also Read: KYSEA to Decide Changes in the Armed Forces Leadership

    News item: 25535

    [07] Bakoyiannis Appeals for Stability in Georgia

    Last Updated on Thursday, 06 August 2009 14:20

    Foreign Minister Dora Bakoyiannis, current president of OSCE expressed concern about tension in regions where there was military confrontation last August between Russian and Georgian troops in South Ossetia. She called all sides to avoid actions or statements that could further destabilize the situation.

    Mrs. Bakoyiannis said that one year after the dispute broke up the wounds are still fresh and the region remains vulnerable and unstable. Human lives were lost during and after the end of the dispute where residents of the area were forced to leave their houses and do not have the necessary support to return to their homes.

    The Greek Foreign Minister underlined that OSCE will continue activities hoping to contribute for viable peace and security in the region to the benefit of all.

    News item: 25536

    [08] Containers with Toxic Waste back to Britain

    News

    Last Updated on Thursday, 06 August 2009 11:45

    MSC Oriane ship is taking back to Britain 81 containers with over one tone of toxic waste which have been illegally exported to Brazil with the misleading label that they contained plastic for recycling. Brazilian authorities strongly reacted against Britain when the toxic waste was found in June but public resentment was fueled when one container was found to include a collection of dirty toys with a note in Portuguese saying that they should be washed before being given to poor Brazilian children. The environmental scandal gives rise to many questions on whether international treaties on waste transport are implemented.

    Angered Brazilian Authorities

    Brazilian police found the containers a few miles away from Santos Port, north of Sao Paolo. The Brazilian authorities said that the waste in the containers included syringes, bags of blood, condoms and nappies. Seats from chemical toilets and used bandages were also reported to be mixed with bales of recyclable plastic, while other containers held computers, televisions and car batteries.

    The British Embassy in Brazil said it would not hesitate to act if it found a British based company had violated the Basel Convention on the movement of hazardous waste. Both Britain and Brazil are signatories of the treaty.

    Source: Times Online - AFP Relevant Article: Britain to take back 1,400 tonnes of toxic waste dumped in Brazil

    See Video: Lixo 'exportado' para o Brasil volta para a Inglaterra

    News item: 25531


    The Hellenic Radio (ERA): News in English Directory - Previous Article - Next Article
    Back to Top
    Copyright 1995-2016 HR-Net (Hellenic Resources Network). An HRI Project.
    All Rights Reserved.

    HTML by the HR-Net Group / Hellenic Resources Institute, Inc.
    eraen2html v1.01 run on Thursday, 6 August 2009 - 16:47:03 UTC