|Tuesday, 14 July 2020|
The Hellenic Radio (ERA): News in English, 10-07-19
From: The Hellenic Radio (ERA) <www.ert.gr/>
 Revolutionary Sect behind Socratis Giolias MurderMonday, 19 July 2010 15:39
Police believe that terrorist organization Revolutionary Sect is linked to the murder of journalist Socratis Giolias, 37yo after tests results showed shell casings matched two 9-millimeter handguns used by terror group. Police said 16 shell casings were collected from the site of the murder, 13 of them were fired from the same gun used for gunning down anti-terrorism policeman Nektarios Savvas in Patissia, on June, 17, 2009. Three shells had been fired from another gun which was also used in N. Savvas murder as well as armed attacks against police station in Korydallos, on February, 3, 2009, against ALTER television station on February, 17, 2009. Also the shells from this gun are the same as one shell found on Alexandros Grigoropoulos grave one dy ater the attack against Korydallos Police station. The antiterrorist Service has assumed investigation into the case.
Socratis Giolias was gunned down outside his home in Hlioupolis residential area. He was shot 16 times by two 9mm guns. Bullets in his head, chest and belly fired from behind and front show he was among cross fire .
Four gunmen, masquerading as security personnel called at the journalist's apartment and summoned him into the street on Monday morning misleading him that someone had stolen his car.
They escaped on a stolen car which was later found abandoned and burned.
Socratis Giolias was head of news at private Athens radio station Thema FM, and founder of a popular news blog, called Troktiko. He was married and father of a two year old boy.
The political world condemned the heinous and murderous attack.
Source: ÍÅÔ - ÍÅÔ 105.8 - ÁNA-ÌPA
News item: 38629
 Immediate Reforestation of Burned LandMonday, 19 July 2010 09:08
The Environment Ministry has decided the immediate reforestation of all pine forest land (8.000 stremmata â 2.000 acres) in northeastern Attica burned down on Saturday, July, 17 while the Prosecutor's Office has ordered a preliminary investigation into the cause of the fire. Two alleged suspects of arson by negligence, linked with the fire in Ano Souli, in Grammatikos, are to face the Public Prosecutor on Monday. Fires in all parts of the country have been brought under control but firefighters remain on alert.
Forest Land Burned down
The Environment and Climate Change Ministry has decided the immediate reforestation of all forest land in northeastern Attica burned down on Saturday, July, 17.
Environment Ministry relevant announcement says that the largest part -about 80%- of forest land in Attica has already been recorded while the rest 20% will be soon completed to conclude the forest map project which will ensure that there will not be any change of use of burned forest land such as illegal construction.
Experts consider arson as the fire spread quickly in a limited area close to the region that fire broke out last year while ignition of the fire from DEH pylon sparks is also being examined.
Public Prosecutor, Nikolaos Gyzis responsible for environment issues has ordered an investigation into the causes of the fire while an autopsy in the site of the fire indicates poor maintenance of DEH pylons.
In the meantime, an Albanian national, 27yo lorry driver and his Greek 37yo co-driver were arrested the first charged with arson by negligence and the second harbouring a criminal. Reports say that the Albanian national had thrown a lit cigarette on dried leaves which ignited the fire despite warning about danger of fires.
Sources: ÍÅÔ, ÍÅÔ 105.8, ÁNA-ÌPA News item: 38610
 Mobility in the Banking SectorMonday, 19 July 2010 16:30
Inter-ministerial committee on privatizations to convene at the Finance Ministry is expected to appoint an advisor in the next days who will assess State's participation at the ATE Bank and PostBank. Next the economic staff will compare the Piraeus Bank offer and will also take into consideration possible new proposals by other interested parties before releasing its final decision. In his speech at an event organized by Eurobank, Mr. Papakonstantinou underlined that each proposal is carefully examined through open procedures and expressed certainty that banks will come out stronger after stress tests.
Papakonstantinou: We Examine all Proposals
The Finance Ministry will await for assessment of international advisors before reaching a decision on whether to accept or not Piraeus Bank offer.
"The government is considering each proposal carefully and always in line with public interest and the viable course of the banking system and the Greek economy in general with open procedures for all" said G. Papakonstantinou in relation to Piraeus Bank proposal to take over ATE Bank and PostBank during an event on the subject "Greek economy and Stability Plan" organized by Eurobank .
Government spokesman G. Petalotis said the government encouraged strategic moves in the banking sector but it did not intervene. Mr. Petalotis denied that Piraeus Bank offer to take over the two banks sparked intra-party disputes and stressed that the government above all placed priority to public interest and viability of banks.
A senior executive of the National Bank, in an interview with Reuters, ruled out any take over or merger moves of the group in the next period. "The National Bank is not expected to have any merger initiatives in the next ten days" he said.
All proposals are considered and there would be a government position said Minister for Economics Louka Katselis.
Optimistic about Results of Stress Tests
Mr. Papakonstantinou, in an event organized Eurobank , expressed certainty that Greek banks would come out stronger from stress tests.
Stress tests on 91 European banks including 6 Greek banks will be released on Friday. Bank of Greece in cooperation with the troika will conduct a stress test on Greek banks in October.
The Finance Minister G. Papakonstantinou repeated his appeal to banks, which are the most significant vehicle for growth, to proceed to reforms.
On Tuesday, the Greece will issue three month state bonds to raise 1.5 billion euros.
Sources: ÍÅÔ-ÍÅÔ 105.8-ÁNA/ÌPA News item: 38630
 Package of Measures for Middle-Sized BusinessesMonday, 19 July 2010 15:11
Minister for Economics Louka Katselis announced a package of measures ( credits, bank guarantees, subsidies over 9 bilion euros) to give a breath to tens of thousands of middle-sized businesses facing liquidity problems within the frame of "National Support Plan for Middle-Sized Businesses 2010-2013". The new programs for 2010 will channel over 1 billion euros into middle-sized businesses this year said Mrs. Katselis. In his message, Prime-minister G. Papandreou expresses his willingness for support of middle-sized businesses.
The contract signed between Minister for Economics, Louka Katselis and factors of the business world includes three basic action axes which are: support of innovation and competitiveness (simplification of procedures, combat of bureaucracy, access of middle-sized businesses to state supplies etc), boost extroversion ( support exports, train human dynamic), boost liquidity (new financial tools, facilitation of access to guarantees and capital, strengthen cooperation with MM etc).
Mrs. Katselis announced three new package of measures starting soon with national funds and ESPA capital mounting to 1 billion euros and expected to triple with participation of banks.
Specifically the package of measures regard:
Activation of Jeremie initiave mounting to 290 million euros in cooperation with European Investment Bank.
To set up Enterprise Fund with a capital of 460 million euros from the Operational program "Competitiveness" providing for financement of investments totaling 1.5 billion euros in the next three years.
Proclamation of actions of 300 million euros budget by the General Secretariat of Industry within ESPA frame.
The total sum for actions to support middle-sized businesses approach 9.3 billion euros as pretty soon 2.6 billion will be allocated to manufacturing, trade, services, technology, public notices mounting to 339 million euros, TEMPME guarantee funds approaching 4.8 billion euros and new programs for 2010 mounting to 1.5 billion euros.
Mrs. Katselis, specifically referred to TEMPME actions, after complaints about banks' unwillingness to forward businesses' requests to enlist in guarantee funds programs. Mrs. Katselis admitted that there were problems but underlined that flow of financing will soon normalize.
Mrs. Katselis read a message by the Prime-minister, who expresses his willingness and commitment to support middle- sized businesses facing problems emerging from the financial crisis. He underlines that the country for the first time was so close to bankruptcy and continues: "The painful decisions we made ensured the continuation of operation of the state and actually the society itself. We gained the time we needed to make the big changes the country needs to breath and correct the problems which led us to this point. It is our obligation to continue our effort with the same courage and determination.
Sources: ÍÅÔ-ÍÅÔ 105.8-ÁNA/ÌPA News item: 38628