Subject: TRKNWS-L Turkish Press Review (March 29, 1995)
Prime Minister Tansu Ciller has sent out a call to the PKK separatists in northern Iraq to surrender to the thirty-five
thousand strong Turkish military force lined-up against them.
According to Ciller, the military operation started in Iraq ten days ago "is quickly reaching its targets." In the
meantime, youths caught up in the separatist movement are being invited to hand themselves over under the protection of
special laws guaranteeing that they will be treated fairly.
According to reports by military spokesmen, Turkish soldiers killed seventy PKK separatists yesterday in clashes around the
Hakurk township in northern Iraq. This brings the total of PKK losses to 269. /All papers/
Gendarmerie law-and-order commander General Hasan Kundakci said yesterday that Turkey's cross-border operation against
the PKK separatist terrorist organization had started to "take hold and reach its aims" and that they were now concentrating
on "details". Kundakci was talking to Turkish reporters in Hakurk, a town in northern Iraq previously known as the "PKK's
fortress". It is reported that 62 terrorists, who were trying to flee to Iran, have been killed and the conflicts continue.
Meanwhile, eight terrorists were killed during a conflict in the Shindi region. A lot of ammunition and food belonging to
the terrorists was seized in Hakurk. Kundakci said that Turkish soldiers would continue to inspect the region from
time to time to see if the PKK was trying to move back into the camps or not. General Staff spokesman Colonel Dogu
Silahcioglu said that since the beginning of the operation, 269 terrorists had been killed, including twelve others taken
alive. The Turkish armed forces constituted a security corridor in northern Iraq which is the first target. All
units deployed at the strategic points according to the plan and the operations in Haftanin and Mezi have already begun,
the second stage of the operation.
Meanwhile, Prime Minister Tansu Ciller, responding to mounting pressure from the West over the operation by Turkish armed
forces in northern Iraq, reiterated once again yesterday that Turkey did not aim to occupy lands that belong to Iraq. "Our
aim is not to invade territory and it can't be" Ciller said, adding that the objective of the present operation was to
stamp out PKK terrorism. Addressing her parliamentary group, she also underlined that the basis of the operation was
legitimate self-defence. "As soon as we complete the operation with the smallest losses possible, we will be
pulling out of there anyway. There can be no other reason than self-defence for Turkish soldiers to be on mountains
2,500 meters high" Ciller added. Ciller said that Turkish soldiers embraced civilians who were still in the region and
unharmed. She said: "We have nothing to do with civilian people or organizations" and called upon the PKK to surrender,
and benefit from the Repentance Law. Ciller added: "They are also my and our sons. They are deceived and forced to attack
their country's integrity and their own people. Come and benefit from special laws such as the Repentance Law. The
state will show you compassion". /Cumhuriyet-Milliyet/
The US, Britain and Germany have sent a joint ultimatum to Greece strongly demanding that Athens stop creating
difficulties where Turkey is concerned-otherwise Greek ties with within NATO will be reviewed.
Top officials from the US, British and German Embassies in Athens presented a memorandum to the Greek Foreign Ministry
yesterday. The Greek government has also been informed that NATO wants changes involving Greek mili- tary activity in the
Aegean, and that new terms will have to be reached with Turkey.
Initial reaction from the Greek government is that the demands should have been sent to Turkey, not to Greece. /Hurriyet/
Ankara has strongly denied German claims that weapons supplied by Germany under military aid agreements are being used
against Kurdish separatists in northern Iraq.
Officials in the Turkish Defence Ministry said yesterday that German Defence Ministry claims that German weapons and tanks
were being used in northern Iraq were "unfounded." Turkish officials added that it was impossible to claim that the tanks
seen on TV reports were of German origin, and said that "more than likely the tanks had been purchased from the former East
German newspapers have also devoted a lot of space to the demand of German Minister Kinkel who recently called for the
immediate withdrawal of Turkish troops. Germany has also shelved a 150 million mark military aid programme in view of
northern Iraq developments. /Hurriyet/
Turkish Ambassador to Washington, Nuzhet Kandemir, has written a strongly worded warning to US senator Claiborne Pell about a
US Congress decision to prepare a bill condemning the Turkish military operation in northern Iraq.
Couched in the strongest terms, Kandemir's "warning" calls the claims of senator Pell "hypocritical and groundless." In the
same letter, Kandemir said that Turkey had every right to defend its national in- tegrity against terrorism, and that it
was impossible to merely stand by and watch as people were murdered by terrorists. Kandemir noted too, that the
senator's claims against Turkey were remarkably lacking in fact- ual content, and that the power vacuum in northern Iraq
was a direct result of the gulf war- in which the US was heavily involved. /All papers/
PKK terrorists who are in a desperate position in the face of the military operation being carried out by Turkish armed
forces, attacked Gurumlu township near Silopi and killed two children, two adults and wounded five other civilians. During
figthing immediately after the attack, security forces killed three of the terrorists involved. /Sabah/
200 Kurdish demonstrators, supporting the PKK terrorist organization protested outside the European Central Office of
the United Nations (UN) in Geneva. Demonstrators accused the UN of ignoring the operation conducted by Turkish armed forces
in northern Iraq. During the demonstration seven security officials were wounded. /Sabah/
As the operation by Turkish armed forces in Iraq continues, the General Staff and Turkish Foreign Ministry are cooperating
to ensure that civilians are not harmed by the fighting.
A Foreign Ministry delegation headed by Ambassador Musfik Ozdes has established a Communications Bureau in Zakho where
measures to prevent civilian loss will be evaluated. Foreign Ministry official Ahmet Uzumcu has been appointed to the press
center in Diyarbakir. /Milliyet/
The Habur border gate between Turkey and northern Iraq used by Turkish armed forces in the "Celik" operation has been closed
to Turkish and foreign journalists on the order of the Chief of Staff as of yesterday night. Turkish and foreign
journalists can reach northern Iraq only through the tours arranged by the Chief of Staff. /Hurriyet/
Responding to the questions of German Foreign Minister Klaus Kinkel, President Suleyman Demirel said that Turkish Armed
Forces will leave northern Iraq as soon as the operation is finished and added that the operation could take months but
will not take more than one year. According to information from the presidency, during talks with delegation members and
the previous, present and the next term chairmen of the European Union on 24 March, Demirel said: "Turkey did not
start this and cannot compromise with terrorists. It is clear that these separatist terrorists are murderers and this
reality must be understood by everyone." Responding to a question from French Foreign Minister Alain Juppe, regarding
Turkey's view about role of the Provide Comfort in the region, Demirel said: "Turkey must keep her border under tight
control and must prevent the infiltration of terrorists into Turkey. Turkey will take every measure to prevent the
terrorist's from establishing camps again in northern Iraq."
Demirel said that Turkey respected the territorial integrity of Iraq in reply to a comment from Juppe who recalled that
Demirel had once said that the establishment of a Kurdish government in the region could cause wars in the Middle East
and added that this problem was not a Kurdish problem but a terrorist problem and that Europe should understand Turkey in
this regard and accept as a full member of the European Union. /Milliyet-Sabah/
During its first meeting yesterday, following the reshuffle in the social democrat wing of the ruling coalition government,
the Cabinet has decided to ask for a vote of confidence from Parliament. The Prime Ministry is expected to send its letter
to Parliament containing its request for a vote of confidence to be held next week. Following the meeting, State Minister
and Government Spokesman Yildirim Aktuna quoted Prime Minister Tansu Ciller, and listed the four basic issues facing the
country as anti-terrorism and security; improvement and strengthening of the economy; legal changes necessary due to
integration into the customs union; and democratization and human rights.
Aktuna said that when the Turkish Armed Forces' operation in northerh Iraq attained its objective, the troops would
withdraw. He added that at Ciller's request, Justice Minister Mehmet Mogultay and State Minister Bekir Same Dace would start
work immediately on changes to the Law on the execution of punishments. /All papers/
A Turkish grocery store was set on fire in Hamburg's St.Georg district, the Anatolia news agency reported yesterday. The
store was completely destroyed in the blaze. Officials said an investigation had been launched, although as yet they had
Willy Claes, the NATO secretary-general, has cancelled a scheduled visit to Turkey and Greece for health reasons, the
Anatolia news agency reported yesterday. Claes has flu and new dates are expected to be set once he recovers.
Prime Minister Tansu Ciller has announced the creation of an Advisory Committee to assist the State Promotion and
Coordination Council, the Anatolia news agency said yesterday. The Committee is to be composed of former prime ministers,
chiefs of staff, deputy prime ministers, foreign ministers and high officials of the national intelligence agency picked by
the prime minister. Ciller announced that the committee, which will gather once a month, was essential for rapid and
well-evaluated decision-making support for the Promotion Council in economic, social, cultural, military, security and
Turgut Ozal, the 8th president of the Turkish Republic and founder of the Motherland Party (ANAP) will be commemorated on
the second anniversary of his death, April 17, with several activities organized by ANAP officials. A delegation headed
by ANAP leader Mesut Yilmaz will visit Ozal's Mausoleum on the anniversary day and there will also be a panel discussion on
The Turkish government has withdrawn its application for a set of $500 million World Bank structural adjustment loans, the
Anatolia news agency reported yesterday. The agency said that during recent negotiations for the loans, Turkish officials
dropped the original application. It quoted Turkish officials as saying that Ankara wished to avoid a strict schedule (as
imposed by the World Bank). They said Ankara instead wished to have access to the Bank's financing in project terms and
over longer periods. Turkey and the World Bank have reportedly concluded negotiations for two sets of loans to
improve the infrastructure of the Mediterranean holiday resort of Antalya.