The seaside settlement of Agios Stefanos is situated about 4 kilometres north of Mikonos (Hora). The area took its name from the chapel of the same name, which lies on the edge of the bay, and it was mentioned in manuscripts dating back at least 500 years ago.
Nowadays, Agios Stefanos has built the infrastructure required for tourism. Hotels, rooms to let, guest's rooms, seaside tavernas and water-sport centres, have placed the area among the most preferred by the tourists who flood the island every summer.
HORA OF MIKONOS
The attractive Hora of Mikonos is maybe the most representative Cycladic capital. Its white cubical houses, and its numerous white-washed, narrow alleyways give one the impression of a beehive-like town embracing the waterfront, with only the town hall's scarlet tiles breaking its gleaming whiteness.
Among the most significant sights of Hora are the big church of Panagia Paraportiani and Alefkandra, which is also called "Venice of Mikonos", with houses literally suspended over the sea. Other sights include its snow-white windmills, and the neoclassical building of the Town Hall, which was built in 1785. The "Tria Pigadia" (Three
Wells) which up until 1956 were the only source of water supply for the town, and the 17th century monastery of Agios Panteleimon, near the village of Marathi, are also worth visiting.
The narrow small port of Ornos is situated to the south of Hora and, along with Korfos bay, they set the borders of the Diakofti peninsula. Around the small port, where boats and fishing caiques anchor, several new snow-white houses have been built, examples of the Cycladic architecture. The beach of the small bay has crystal-clear waters and thin sand.
The seaside settlement of Platis Gialos is situated about 5 km from the southern side of Mikonos (Hora). It has the most popular beach on the island, which attracts the largest number of tourists on Mikonos. The area is overpopulated, and among its houses big hotel units, guest's rooms and cottages have been built, while it is already known as a water-sport centre.
Also, of great interest is the underground cistern on the northern side of the settlement. It is known as "Pigadi tou Giannarou" (Giannaro's well) and it has very large dimensions. On its one side, there are steps which lead to its bottom.
On the site called Leto, there are remains of three fortresses from the Hellenistic period that the locals call "Portes" (Doors).
The seaside settlement of Tourlos is about 4 kilometres from the northern side of Mikonos (Hora). It attracts crowds of foreign tourists, who choose it because of its beautiful sandy beach, as well as Greeks who have chosen the area to build large villas next to the old country houses.
The most significant sight in Tourlos, which has only recently built the required infrastructure for tourism, is the chapel of Agios Georgios with its red dome and the Russian icons that decorate its screen.