Achillion was built from 1888 to 1891 by the Italian architect Kardilo on behalf of Elisabeth, Empress of Austria. It is situated near the village of Gastouri, where, in former times the mansion of the philosopher Petros Armenis Vrailas stood. The construction was built in the architectural style of Pompeii, although it includes elements of the Ionic, Roman and Aeolic traditions. The castle was called "Achillion" in honour of Achilles, whom the Empress admired. After her death in 1898, Achillion was not inhabited for nine years, until its purchase by the Emperor of Germany Vilhelm II, in 1907. The Kaiser made several alterations inside and outside the palace. He removed the two statues of Achilles, built a building, which he named the House of the Knights, in order to house his battalion, and he rearranged the gardens. During the World Wars, the palace was used as a hospital and headquarters. After World War II, Achillion became a public estate. Inside the palace, one can admire beautiful paintings by Italian and Austrian painters, the most impressive being the paintings of Aggelos Gialinas, a painter from Corfu. The most remarkable mural is the fresco of the reception chamber showing Achilles dragging the dead body of Hector in front of the Trojan walls. In the chambers, one can admire the personal belongings of Elisabeth and Vilhelm B', furniture, jewels etc. There are also exhibits of statues representing heroes from ancient Greek history and mythology, as well as portraits and pots. The decoration of the Catholic chapel housed in the palace is also of striking beauty. Scattered between the beautifully decorated gardens and the fountains stand the beautiful statues of the Nine Muses and ancient Greek philosophers, as well as, a large statue of Achilles, created in 1909 by the German sculptor Goetz, ordered by Vilhelm B'. The most impressive of all is the statue of "Achilles dying" created by the German sculptor Earnest Gustav Herter. Another building in Achillion was used to house the carriage drivers, the carriages and the horses.
The byzantine fortress known as
Aggelokastro (Castle of Angels) is situated near the Krini, opposite Palaiokastritsa, at an altitude of 330 m.
It was built in the 13th century by Michael Angelo B' the son of Epirus's archbishop Michael Angelo Á'. Tradition says that the founder was looking for the most dangerous and the steepest rock to build upon it an impregnable fortress. Thus, he came across the area of Aggelokastro where there stood a fortress, courtesy of the archbishop of Epirus. The forts' purpose was to protect the inhabitants from the pirates of Africa and the Venetians. For a while it served as the island's capital as the governor lived there. In 1403, from the castle, they fought successfully against the pirates of Genoa.
The castle's entrance is an arched gate, but inside there are only ruins of the chambers and the storage rooms. In a dark cave, there is a church dedicated to the archangels Michael and Gabriel where one can admire a remarkable fresco of the Virgin Mary.
This byzantine fortress stands on a hill between Agios Mathaios and Messogi. It is said to have been built by Michael Angelo B'. The only reminder of the castle are ruins dating back to the 13th century. The fortress consists of eight strong towers creating its octagonal shape. The excavations in the surrounding area shed light upon the tolls used in the Paleolithic Era.
World famous Kanoni is situated south of the Palaiopoli peninsula. It was named Kanoni (cannon) after the battery of artillery established by French in 1798. One of the battery's cannons still stands at the tourist kiosk. In front of Kanoni is the Monastery of Vlaherna, linked to the mainland by a cement dock and built in the 17th century. From there one can visit Pontikonissi. According to the legend, this was the ship of Phaiakes which, after taking Ulysses to Ithaki, was petrified. Another legend claims that this is the rock where Ulysses crashed because of the storm. On the island of Pontikonissi stands the byzantine chapel of Pandokrator.
The spectacular view from Kanoni inspired the German painter Becklin to draw "The Island of the Dead". This location is the most charming part of the island and it has always been the place where all the island's inhabitants love to promenade.
Mon Repo stands where the ancient city used to be, 3 km south of the capital. It was built on a very large estate in 1831. It was initially a summer residence for the English high commissioner F. Adam. Later it became the summer residence for the Greek royal family. In the area surrounding Mon Repo, there were two discoveries: in 1822 the temple of Aesculapins (6th century BC), and in 1912-1914 the altar of the Goddess Diana (7th century BC).
At Mon Repo one can see a beautiful view from the hill of Analipsi, the ruins of the ancient city and the basilica of Palaiopoli.
The beach at Mon Repo is lovely, attracting many tourists in the summer.
This monastery for men was built in 1228 AD on peak of Palaiokastritsa's hill. The monastery's church, yard and monk cells were built after its establishment, around the 18th century. The monastery owns a small but valuable collection of byzantine and post-byzantine icons, holy books, holy utensils and vestments.
The monastery of Platitera was built in the 18th century BC in Corfu's suburb Mandouki. The monastery was renovated after its destruction by the French in 1799, during the Francorussian - Turc war. In the church's interior, one can admire the wood-carved icon stand made by Nikolaos Koutouzis, valuable icons from the Ionian and Cretan Art School and paintings of post-byzantine art, such as the "Last Supper" and the "Lavatory" by Nikolaos Kandounis, the "Apocalypse" by Theodoros Poulakis, the "Virgin Mary Holding an Infant" by Emanuel Tzane and "Doomsday" by Klotzas. In the area, one can also visit the grave of Ioannis Kapodistias, Greece's one-time Governor, and the grave of Fotis Tzavelas, brave Greek fighter during the Greek Revolution.
This three-nave basilica was built in the island's capital. At first it belonged to the Epirotes who came to the island, persecuted by the Turks. The church's interior is unique due to the valuable icons, utensils and votive offerings, most of which were transferred here from churches at Epirus. The icons, constructed by Tzanes, are remarkable and the same applies to the church's hagiographies, painted by N. Kountouzis in the 18th century.
The village of Benitses is situated 13.5 km south of Kerkira.
Near the village, on a private estate, traces of Roman spas were found.
According to studies, during the Roman Era the area was a resort
exclusively for the wealthy Roman conquerors and their families.
Today the area is one of the islands most majestic resorts.
Ancient Kerkira was discovered during the demolition of the
Venetian fortress of San Salvadore in 1843, in the area which the
locals call Palaiopolis, on the peninsula ending at Kanoni. It was
established under the name of Chersoupolis, by the Corinthians, in
the 8th century BC.
The wall (4th century BC) surrounding the city from three
sides, was built in such way so as to be surrounded by the port of
Alkinoos (the current bay of Garitsa) in the North, the Lagoon of
Chalkiopoulos, also known as the bay of Chelaios, in the West, and
the sea of Mon Repo, in the East.
The market of the city was built north of the current bay
of Garitsa. The acropolis was built on the current position of
Analipsi. The only existing tower of the wall was situated at the
entrance of the port of Alkinoos, while today it is the foundation
of the church of Agios Athanasios. Not far from the cemetery, one
can see the tower of Neratziha where the church of Virgin Mary stood
and also preserved the statue. This is also the area of the ancient
In the area of Garitsa, archaeologists have discovered traces
of tombs of the Archaic and Classical eras, which were part of the
town's ancient cemetery. Among them, the most significant is the
statue of Menekratis.
The town's fleet sought refuge in the well-protected port of
the bay of Chelaios. The bay's entrance was formed by the two islets
of the church of Vlaherna, along with green Pontikonissi which is
The town was characterized by scattered temples of all sizes, built by the first inhabitants from Corinth and Evoia. The largest and most significant temples, built in the 7th and 6th century BC, are the Temple of Hera, Diana and Kardaki -built in honour of Apollo- and the Temple of Dionysus. Relics and findings from these temples are exhibited in the local Archaeological Museum.
The Archaeological Museum of Corfu is located in Vraila str., near the seaside highway of Garitsa. The most significant archaeological findings of the island are kept here, which were exhibited in the Museum of the Palaces, in days gone by.
The most interesting of these exhibits is the western stone pediment of Gorgo (17 m. wide and over 3 m. tall) and part of the temple of Diana (590-580 BC), constructed by a Corinthian artist. The oldest Greek pediment, still in existence, represents the winged Gorgo surrounded by snakes, her two children Pegasus and Chrysaor (according to myth, they were born from her blood after her decapitation by Perseus) and two lion-panthers, while on the sides one can see representations of the Battles of the Titans. According to archaeologists, the pediment had vivid colours, while Gorgo was connected with Diana, the goddess who protected the animals and the beasts.
Another exhibit is part of the left archaic pediment found during the excavation in the location of Figaretto (500 BC), which represents a scene of a bacchic symposium. One can also admire the findings of the Neo-Lithic Era, from Sidari, which include pots, utensils and the representations of the lionhead from the Temple of Hera (7th century BC). Other interesting exhibits are the archaic lion (7th century BC), discovered near the statue of Menekratis, as well as a livid sink from Attica (6th century BC). Among others, there are remarkable findings from the tombs of Garitsa (7th - 6th century BC), the Temple of Roses (5th century BC), the Temple of Diana at Kanoni (480 BC), Mon Repo, the Temple of Apollo, statuettes of typical ancient craftwork, objects made of copper and ivory, a tombstone praising the ancient hero Arnias, the capital of the column of Xembaros (6th century BC), as well as coins, the most significant being the one depicting a cow, released after the liberation of Corfu from the Corinthians.
The church of Agios Spyridonas is dedicated to the patron saint of the island of Corfu. It was built in 1589, in order to replace the older church of Sorokos which was demolished because of the construction of the walls of the town. Saint Spyridonas took part in the Ecumenical Synod A', which took place in Nice (325 AD).
On the exterior of the church there is a tall, castellated bell-tower with a clock which resembles the one of the church of Agios Georgios in Venice.
Inside the church there is a temple which the architect M. Mawers made of Kararas and Paros in marble. The painter Spyros Prosalentis made the icons on the temple of the church. The most valuable treasure of the church is the golden shrine made in Venice in which Saint Spyridonas's remains are kept. At first these remains were kept in Constantinople, but after its fall, they were transferred to the island of Corfu. The wonderful icons on the dome have golden frames, they are divided into 17 pieces, and they represent, among other things, the life of Saint Spyridonas. The icons were first made by the hagiographer Panagiotis Doxaras in 1727, but because of their decay from moisture, they were replaced by Nikolaos Aspiotis's copies in 1850-1870.
On December 12th, there is a feast in honour of the saint. The litanies of Agios Spyridonas are also famous, as they have been performed here since the Venetian years, and they are connected with the history of the island.
The Museum of Asian Art is housed in the Palace of St Michael and George, in the town of Kerkira. The Museum is unique throughout Greece and the exhibits were originally from China, Japan, Korea, Tibet, Nepal, India, Pakistan and Siam. Most of the current exhibits were collected by the diplomats Manou, Siniossoglou, Almonahou and the ambassador N. Hatzivassiliou.
Among the exhibits there are chinese works of all chines eras: The Sheang era (1,500-1,027 BC) the Chehou era (1,027-221 BC), the Han era (221 BC-220 AD), the Soung dynasty (960-1,279 AD), the Ming dynasty (1,368-1,644 AD) and from Kamakoura era (1,192-1,338 AD).
The most significant exhibits are the infamous copper cauldron used for worshipping reasons, from the Ming dynasty, tombs statues from the Tang dynasty, a wooden japanese statues from japanese statue of a temple's guard and facades from the japanese theater Noh.
This fortress stands on the hill of Agios Markos, where the old harbor used to be. It was built by the Venetians (1576-1589). Later, the French and the English made alterations and improvements. The fortress consisted of two ramparts and two castles. On the left, there was the rampart of Sarandaris and the rampart of Agios Athanassios, both linked to the castle by a triple wall. The two fortress, the Old and the New, were linked by an underground arcade and a rampart wall which surrounded the area of the contemporary city. The New Fortress had access to its ramparts through corridors, tunnels and underground arcades. Today there are only two gates left standing with the emblem of St Markos's lion.
The new fortress's fortification played a significant defensive role, even in recent wars, as its arcades were used as refuge for the people. The fortress is famous for its architecture.
The Old Fortress is situated on an islet and is joined with
the town by a cement bridge which used to be wooden and movable.
Before the bridge, one can admire the marble statue of German Field
Marshal Schulenburg, who bravely defended the island during the
Turkish siege in 1716. It was constructed by the Italian sculptor
A. Corradini, during the Venetian Rule, and it was originally housed
in the fortress. Between the Old Fortress and the town, lies the canal
of Contra Fossa (150 m. long, 10-15 m. wide), with the Stands of
Saborniano and Martinego.
The construction of the building began with the Venetians,
after the Turkish siege in 1537, and was completed in 1588. It had
four gates and two peaks (Korifes), thus the island was named Corfu.
The first peak (51 m. high) was built by the Byzantines and was
called "Castell del Mar", alias "Castell Vecchio", while the second
peak (65 m. high) was built by the Venetians and was called "Castell
di Terra", alias "Castell Nuovo". The Venetians extended the city
beyond the fortress, while in the interior they built arches, prisons,
storage rooms and new buildings for the soldiers, the nobles and the
politicians. The new town called for a new fortification and a new
fortress. The underground arches of the fortress prove the theory
that it was linked underground to the opposite islet of Ptihia (alias
Today, one can still see the ruins of the Venetian walls,
the additional fortifications built by the English, the clock-tower, the Doric buildings and the church of Agios Georgios, built in 1840, during the English occupation.
These palaces, built in the architectural style popular during King George's reign, are situated near Spiniada square. They were built by the English major S. Whitmore. The English began the construction in 1819 and concluded it in 1823. The palaces were built to be used as residence for the English high commissioner. Later, here were the headquarters of the Monasterial Battalion of St Michael and St George, which was founded in 1818 by distinguished English employees of the colony on the Ionian islands. Later on, from 1864 to 1913, the palaces were used as a royal summer residence. Today the palaces house the Public Library, the Archaeological Service and the Museum of Asian Art which was donated by the Manou family.
Inside the building, the chambers are decorated with carved mythological representations of the Ionian island, created by Prosalentis. There are also lavish chandeliers, and the windows exhibit the medals that St Michael and St George won. In the beautifully decorated gardens, the statue of the English high commissioner F. Adam is a dominating figure.
The Town Hall stands near Spiniada square at Evgeniou Voulgari str. The construction began in 1663 AD by the Venetians and it was completed in 1693. It is a Renaissance, stone construction with carved walls. Among the interior's carved representations, the most prominent one, placed in 1691, the bust of Morozini surrounded by four children-symbols of his virtues. In the beginning, the building was a lodge for the nobles (Loggia Nobilei) and a club for the venetian fleet's officers. In 1720, one of the most significant Greek theaters was housed here called "San Jiacomo" because of the neighboring catholic church of the same name built in 1632. Ever since 1903 AD, the building has been used as a Town Hall where the town's new theater is also housed.