The monastery of Agios Ioannis Theologos dominates the hill above Hora and is visible from every part of the island. It was established in 1088 by St Christodoulos after the donation of Alexios Komnenos A'. It has been, ever since, the most significant religious and cultural center on the island. The chapel of Agioi Apostoli, where the relic of St Chistodoulos is kept, was built in 1603. The exterior of the monastery is surrounded by tall, thick walls with fortifying towers and ramparts, built according to the Byzantine style with rectangular, while stone stairs leading to an impressive gate. The yard has layers of pebbles and is beautifully decorated. In the center, there is a water-tank and a well with holy water. The eastern side is dominated by an arch with four curves and many frescoes representing the miracles performed by Agios Ioannis Theologos. The monastery houses ten chapels, the Chamber where the monks hold their meetings along with the cells of the monks. The most impressive part of the monastery is the church. Inside one can admire the beautiful wood-carved icon stand, the marble floor and the rich decoration. The Library, established by St Christodoulos, is of extreme interest, as it includes 2,000 volumes, 13,000 historic documents and 900 manuscripts. Among these, one can see 30 manuscripts bequeathed to the monastery by Chirstodoulos's successor, Savens, the collection of Nikiforos Laodikias, works of ecclesiastic father codes, biographies of Saints and Aristoteles's Accusations. In the treasury of the monastery, the monks keep invaluable objects, remarkable icons, ecclesiastic utensils and garments.
This exquisite monastery stands on the hill of the same name with a luminous cross, near the settlement of Skala. Its founder, St Makarios Notaras, was disdained by the bishop of Korinth when he was accused by the Turks for igniting the revolution during the "Orlov events". The convent was transformed into a heaven on earth, after a long, period of neglect by the archimadrite Gerasimos Mihelis. A new church of singular beauty has recently been constructed with contributions from the archinandrite and the "Friends of Panagia Koumana's Society". The monastery, apart from celebrating mass, also performs weddings, baptisms and festivals of saints. The most important of these festivals is the All Saints festival in June. Visitors are elated to be in this captivating place among numerous trees and plants, chirping birds, and a panoramic view.
The Cave of the Ioannis Apocalypse stands halfway between Hora and Skala and it is considered to be the island's most important sanctuary. It is surrounded by the convent of the Apocalypse, flower-filled courtyards, cells, and chapels built at varying heights. The monastery was built in the beginning of the 17th century by Grigorios of Kesaria, and later Makarios Kalogeras - founder of the Patmian School - added new sections. The convent is still in excellent condition. At the base of a cluster of buildings, where the cave is located, a number of steps lead to the chapels of Agios Artemios, Agios Nicholas, and Agia Anna. The chapel of Agia Anna was restored in the 17th century, and part of it is dedicated to the monk Christodoulos, its founder. The cave's position was located from old texts which mention that St John lived somewhere between Hora and Skala. The chapel of St Anne is the first building in the cluster of buildings. At the cave, there is a cross carved by St John and a "Trinitarian" cleft where it is said that the voice which commanded the saint to write the Apocalypse was heard from. That took place when the saint arrived at Patmos, where the emperor Domitianus had exiled him. The Apocalypse is one of the most important religious texts of all ages.
The small church of Agios Ioannis Theologos is situated in Grikos 5 km southwest of the island's capital. The church is of extreme historic interest as it is built upon the ruins of ancient spas where, according to tradition, John baptised the Christians and performed miracles. It is said that this church is even older than the island's monastery of the same name.
The miraculous church of Evagelistria stands on Pano Kambos, on the small square of the settlement. Hundreds of people flock there for its festivals on the 25th of March and the 14th of August. The festivities include local songs and carousing at the tavernas of the village's square.
The Patmian School stands near the Cave of the Apocalypse. The first efforts to find the school were made by the metropolitan bishop Grigorios in 1753, but it was finally founded by Makarios Kalogeras in 1713, after his return to Patmos.
The school became a center for the unredeemed Greeks during the Greek War of Independence in 1821. It had many famous professors and students who later became prominent men in modern Greek history, Emmanuel Xanthos being one of them.
Many wealthy Greeks like Manolakis Castorianos assisted the School financially, and other generous subscriptions aided the founding of its new buildings in 1947. The Patmian School, together with the sanctuary of the Apocalypse and The Monastery of Agios Ioannis Theologos add to the grandeur of the island.