HR-Net - Hellenic Resources Network Compact version
Today's Suggestion
Read the UN International Convention on the Elimination of All Forms of Racial Discrimination (7 March 1966)
HomeAbout HR-NetNewsWeb SitesDocumentsOnline HelpUsage InformationContact us
Monday, 11 December 2017
 
News
  Latest News (All)
     From Greece
     From Cyprus
     From Europe
     From Balkans
     From Turkey
     From USA
  Announcements
  World Press
  News Archives
Web Sites
  Hosted
  Mirrored
  Interesting Nodes
Documents
  Special Topics
  Treaties, Conventions
  Constitutions
  U.S. Agencies
  Cyprus Problem
  Other
Services
  Personal NewsPaper
  Greek Fonts
  Tools
  F.A.Q.
 

BOSNEWS digest 464 - 12/11/95

From: Nermin Zukic <n6zukic@sms.business.uwo.ca>

Bosnia-Herzegovina News Directory

From: Nermin Zukic <n6zukic@sms.business.uwo.ca>


BOSNEWS Digest 464


CONTENTS

  • [01] Kofi Annan, U.N. Special Representative: "I think in time they [Mladic, Karadzic] will be probably put in the dock and convicted... "

  • [02] UN human rights rapporteur accuses Croatian military, police for their role in Krajina; Fifth Corps for sexual abuse of females from Kladusa region

  • [03] SPECULATIONS ON KARADZIC'S SUCCESSORS

  • [04] B-H GOVERNMENT ON HUMANITARIAN SITUATION AND RETURN OF REFUGEES

  • [05] "LAST CHANCE" FOR PEACEFUL SETTLEMENT IN EASTERN CROATIA

  • [06] ALBANIAN-TURKISH MILITARY MANEUVERS

  • [07] MACEDONIA AND UKRAINE RECEIVED TO THE COUNCIL OF EUROPE

  • [08] ELECTION OF THE NATO SECRETARY GENERAL POSTPONED

  • [09] SERBS REJECTED AGREEMENT, THEIR PROPOSALS UNDER CONSIDERATION

  • [10] DISAGREEMENT BETWEEN BOSNIAN SERBS PARAMILITARY AND POLICE

  • [11] DELIC ON PEACE NEGOTIATIONS

  • [12] SARAJEVO AGAIN WITHOUT GAS AND WATER

  • [13] QUALITY AND USEFULNESS OF US INFORMATION DISASTROUS


  • [01] Kofi Annan, U.N. Special Representative: "I think in time they [Mladic, Karadzic] will be probably put in the dock and convicted... "

    Asked at a news conference what he thought would happen to nationalist Bosnian Serb leader Radovan Karadzic and military commander General Ratko Mladic, Kofi Annan, U.N. Special Representative tosaid: "I think in time they will be probably put in the dock and convicted... The peace process must go forward. I think we will have to be guided by practical and urgent considerations. If we do have an agreement, we should go ahead and settle and these two men will be dealt with in time... If there ever was an opportunity for peace, then this seems to be it... I think we are closer to obtaining peace than we have ever been."

    [02] UN human rights rapporteur accuses Croatian military, police for their role in Krajina; Fifth Corps for sexual abuse of females from Kladusa region

    According to the UN and EU observers a large number of Croatian Army troops moved in the vicinity of occupied Eastern Slavonia region.

    Doug Coffman, a spokesman for the United Nations in the area, said several hundred members of the elite Croatian Army First Brigade, known as the Tigers, moved toward Vinkovci Thursday.

    ``Yesterday a fairly large number of Croatian troops from the First Brigade were sent to the Vinkovci area... With them they had some artillery pieces and obviously that is contrary to the May 1994 cease-fire agreement where heavy artillery pieces are not supposed to be within 12.5 miles of the zone of separation... There have been and continue to be many violations of the cease-fire agreement by both sides.''

    He said no troop movements had been seen Friday.

    Busloads of troops were also being moved, including at least 400 soldiers of the Croatian Army's Fifth Brigade.

    Another U.N. source said 750 troops was ``a pretty large amount... People either think this is preparation for an attack or it's a bluff to put pressure on the Serbs,'' he said.

    ``I fought in Vukovar for a while in 1991 and we came to finish the job,'' said Ivan, a Tiger officer.

    Col. Terence Taylor of the International Institute for Strategic Studies in London commented: ``They [Croatia] will want to go in and claim their territory and occupy it... It doesn't necessarily indicate an assault but merely getting ready to occupy the ground and the two actions might not look dissimilar... A little bit of a flurry like this may aid the negotiators.''

    ``They are ready and they are not afraid of showing they are ready -- that is a good negotiating tactic... They could be getting ready to drive in with the flags waving,'' Taylor also said.

    [03] SPECULATIONS ON KARADZIC'S SUCCESSORS

    Dayton, Sarajevo, Zagreb, Nov 1O, 1995 (Press TWRA) - Speculations continue in media and diplomatic circles about R. Karadzic's likely successors. So far, legitimacy for representing Serbs in Bosnia is divided - within legal system Serbs are represented by their delegates in the Presidency and B-H Assembly - Tatjana Ljujic-Mijatovic and Mirko Pejanovic (Presidency members) and Miro Lazovic (President of Assembly). They and many other Serbs and officials at some institutions gathered at the Serb Civil Council, endorsed by B-H authorities, including supporters of integral Bosnia abroad, some individuals and groups to Montenegro and Serbia. On the other side, part of legitimacy, by force of the arms and the situation on the ground is in hands of the quisling leadership at Pale gathered around R. Karadzic. Military balance, strong international pressure on Belgrade and indictments of the International Tribunal have led to the demand put in Dayton on replacement of Karadzic and Mladic. Radio B-H reported yesterday the news of the B-H press claiming that Milosevic had agreed to recognize Lazovic and Pejanovic as true representatives of Serbs in B-H. B-H press refers to the sources of the US Embassy in Zagreb. The allegations have not been confirmed yet. Official Belgrade has made some contacts with Serb Civil Council this year, but most observers believe that Milosevic will try to appoint close associates of the self - proclaimed president from Pale as a successor of discarded Karadzic, at least those who have not been (so far) designated as war criminals by the Tribunal. Two of them are Aleksa Buha ("head of diplomacy" of the so-called Republika Srpska) and Nikola Koljevic (Karadzic's "vice-president" with good links in London) B-H authorities do not approve the option of Koljevic and Buha or their alikes becoming the leaders of a part of Bosnian Serbs but it is not certain if the USA will oppose to that. It will be hard to choose gen. Mladic's successor whose replacement the USA also demands as ultimatum ("We cannot think of any agreement to enable Karadzic and Mladic remain on power or have any significant influence on the events in Bosnia," said the State Department spokesman N. Burns). The problem about Mladic's successor is that most other high ranking officials of his para-military are the same as he is - they committed and ordered the war crimes. The Zagreb daily "Vecernji list' writes that Milosevic could appoint as Karadzic's successor once communist politicians Bogic Bogicevic and Nenad Kecmanovic. Bogicevic is for integral Bosnia while Kecmanovic had left Bosnia for Belgrade and was reserved to legal B-H authorities and Karadzic's group. Kecmanovic was accused in ex-Yugoslavia by the state security service of having links with the British intelligence officers. Kecmanovic is believed to be close to S. Milosevic and his wife Mirjana Markovic-Milosevic who leads "Yugoslav United Leftists", and previosly led "Communist League Movement for Yugoslavia." There was a news, denied afterwards, that Milosevic does not want to give up Mladic and threatened with leaving the USA. /end/ A.S.

    [04] B-H GOVERNMENT ON HUMANITARIAN SITUATION AND RETURN OF REFUGEES

    Sarajevo, Nov 11, 1995 (Press TWRA) - A meeting of the Republic and Federation of B-H with prime minister H. Silajdzic as its president was held in Sarajevo. The conclusion is that more attention should be paid to promotion and renewal of the health protection system in B-H being estimated to USD 5OO million.

    The government decided that till Nov 13 this year, all details should be settled for return of 6OO refugee families to Bugojno, Travnik, Stolac and Jajce being in accord with the last week's agreement between Tudjman and Izetbegovic in the USA. Minister for refugees Muharem Cero informed that about 5,OOO refugees were temporarily placed in recently liberated counties of Kljuc, Sanski Most, Bosanski Petrovac and a part of once occupied county of Bihac. Traffic to and from Sarajevo continues followed by occasional incidents. Yesterday, Serb children in the occupied suburb of Sarajevo, were throwing stones on two buses driving along the "blue route" injuring one passenger. The UN coordinator to Sarajevo William Eagleton (USA) asked for financial support to be secured for B-H authorities to enable them to pay high costs of Russian gas which is necessary for survival in Sarajevo this winter. Improvisation, damages and Serb games with Gas supply for Sarajevo caused many accidents and explosions in the past few days when flats were destroyed and people were killed. Flats in Sarajevo have gas every other day.

    After two-day-pause, running water was restored in Sarajevo yesterday. Water pipes and transformer stations being damaged, only 7O MW can be used of 2OO MW provided for Sarajevo. With regard to electricity, Bosnian authorities and rebel Serbs have reached an agreement for Gorazde to be supplied with electricity in return for increase in electricity supply for Banjaluka. /end/

    [05] "LAST CHANCE" FOR PEACEFUL SETTLEMENT IN EASTERN CROATIA

    Zagreb, Dayton, Nov 11, 1995 (Press TWRA)- Croatian president F. Tudjman has traveled again to join peace talks in air force base Wright Patterson. Before leaving Zagreb, he said that Croatia offered a peaceful solution being ready to accept peaceful option for the remaining occupied territory in the eastern part of the state but did not rule out military option if local Serbs were not more cooperative. Tudjman reminded that Serbs had rejected a proposal put forward by Th. Stoltenberg and P. Galbraith. Tudjman was accompanied by his closest associate and leading Croatian negotiator with Serbs Hrvoje Sarinic.

    The US State Department spokesman Nicholas Burns said that Tudjman's return to the USA meant another round of talks with Milosevic and the international mediators in searching for solution for Serb controlled eastern Croatia control. /end/A.S.

    [06] ALBANIAN-TURKISH MILITARY MANEUVERS

    Tirane, Nov. 11, 1995 (Press TWRA) - In the vicinity of Albanian port of Drac, a NATO training within the program "Partnership for Peace" including a Turkish destroyer "Patin" and six ships of Albania's Navy is underway. Those are the second Turkish-Albanian maneuvers. /end/ A.S.

    [07] MACEDONIA AND UKRAINE RECEIVED TO THE COUNCIL OF EUROPE

    Brussels, Strasbourg, Nov 9, 1995 (Press TWRA) - It was released at the seat of EU that Macedonia and Ukraine were received as full right member states to the Council of Europe. Regarding the population in the states, Ukraine will have 52 and Macedonia 3 representatives in the Council. Meanwhile, interparlamentary Assembly of the Council of Europe has started a procedure for receiving B-H as its member state. But the problem is war situation in B-H, the fact that the central government does not have all parts of the country under control. Yet, it seems that after Slovenia and Macedonia, B-H will be the third state from ex-Yugoslavia to be received to the Council of Europe. Only Croatia and "FR Yugoslavia" (i.e. Serbia and Montenegro) would remain outside the Council. /end/A.S.

    [08] ELECTION OF THE NATO SECRETARY GENERAL POSTPONED

    Brussels, Nov 11. 1995 (Press TWRA) - Election of new NATO Secr. Gen. is put off as the USA announced that there is no need for hurry. Two candidates are proposed: the Dutch Ruud Lubbers and Uffe Elleman Jensen (Denmark). The USA do not support none.

    [09] SERBS REJECTED AGREEMENT, THEIR PROPOSALS UNDER CONSIDERATION

    Erdut, November 6,1995 (Press TWRA) - The representatives of Serbs from east Slavonian occupied territories rejected the new draft of agreement proposed by US Ambassador in Croatia Galbright and UN negotiator Stoltenberg. At the six hours long talks with Stoltenberg and Galbraight Serbian side also presented their version of agreement which negotiators did not find satisfying, so that "no agreement was signed". According to Serbian proposal territory of East Slavonia should be put under UN jurisdiction for a period of three years while Croatian side does not accept transitional period longer than a year. Besides, one of basic Serbian demands is referendum which would be held after the end of transitional period and would decide on the future of that territory. Serbian side expects final answer from negotiators about their proposal, but as head Serbian negotiator Milanovic said "under present circumstances they will not accept it".

    Belgrade - According to "Telegraph", Belgrade's weekly which relates to the sources close to so called "Yugoslav Army", the Croatian Army would not be stopped on Croatian international borders in a possible operation for reintegration of East Slavonia but would also include some pockets of "FRY" territory. "Telegraph" claims that the special Croatian forces, special operation forces, commando and frog-men are deployed on the territory of Osijek. Their task is to infiltrate on Srijem-Baranja district territory and to by pulling down the bridges and other vital objects, create panic among Serbian soldiers and civilians. "Telegraph" claims that Croatian plan for attack has three fazes and includes 8O OOO soldiers. Only first Croatian echelon has 25O tanks, 15O armed vehicles and 2OO different caliber artillery . (end) S.K.

    [10] DISAGREEMENT BETWEEN BOSNIAN SERBS PARAMILITARY AND POLICE

    Belgrade, November 6,1995 (Press TWRA) - As AFP reported on the disagreement between Headquarters of so called "republic srpska's" paramilitary and police forces which last since spring this year. The main headquarters of "republic srpska's" paramilitary forces in their press release expressed disagreement with the "republic srpska's" Internal Minister Tomislav Kovac's decision who "on November 2nd ordered the withdrawal of special police forces units which were deployed along demarcation lines with croatian-muslim forces". Serbian paramilitary Headquarters headed by Gen. Mladic said that it was a very "illogical decision" and demanded from Karadjic to "prevent its implementation" so that "army and police forces could continue joint fight until the complete end of war". (end) S.K.

    [11] DELIC ON PEACE NEGOTIATIONS

    Sarajevo, November 6,1995 (Press TWRA) - In an interview for Sarajevo's newspaper "Dnevni Avaz" B-H Army General Headquarters Commander Gen.Delic expressed readiness to accept and implement in full the future peace agreement.Delic emphasized that possible failure of peace negotiations could lead to continuation of war in which case B-H Army would continue to liberate country. Delic thinks that the biggest responsibility for destiny of peace negotiations is on Milosevic shoulders. (end) S.K.

    [12] SARAJEVO AGAIN WITHOUT GAS AND WATER

    Sarajevo, November 8,1995 (Press TWRA) - The first cold days made the humanitarian situation in Sarajevo worse. The flow of gas, on which the heating depends has almost been interrupted. This led to considerable increase of electricity expenditure. The representatives of B-H Electricity Agency warned that if the limit of 6 kwh per day per household be exceeded, the limitation of consumption will be introduced again which means that this winter in Sarajevo could again look much like the last. Sarajevo has also been left without water again. The representatives of the city watersupply reported that the main water veil on Bacevo has been disconnected for unknown reasons. Since Bacevo is located on the territory under Serbian control the city authorities has no way to check what is going on there.(end) S.K.

    [13] QUALITY AND USEFULNESS OF US INFORMATION DISASTROUS

    Washington, November 8,1995 (Press TWRA) - After the Head Prosecutor of International Court for War Crimes committed on the territory of former Yugoslavia (ICTW) Richard Goldstone send the letter to US Embassy in The Hague in which he accuses US for not promptly delivered the evidence on war crimes to the Tribunal the White House spokesman McCarry tried to reject this accusations. "Washington invested lots of time and effort in order to collect evidences on which we always promptly informed the international community", said McCarry rejecting the accusations that US withholds the evidence, but he also admitted that certain information "can not be presented to international community on account of state security". McCarry said that Goldstone's accusations published in "Washington Post" are "unpleasant" but he also added that the evidences in question are for the most of people "uninteresting" and already "known material". In the letter to State Department ICTW Head Prosecutor said that the quality and usefulness of the evidences disastrous".Nicholas Burns, State Department spokesman also estimated that the US Administration's cooperation with the international court is "correct". When asked by the numerous journalists weather State Department posseses the evidences which could accuse the Serbian President Milosevic for war crimes, Burns said that those "information can not be shared with the press". In this way Burns avoided direct answer on whether US has taped the telephone conversation between Serbian General Perisic and General Mladic before taking over Srebrenica which could be the basis for raising indictment against Milosevic.

    New York - "The complete lack of cooperation from Serbian side and financial situation of UN threaten the work of International Tribunal for War Crimes", said the Tribunal President Antonio Casesse. In his speech before the UN General Assembly he said that it is believed that "43 out of 45 accused for the crimes in the former Yugoslavia now live in so called "FRY" or in the parts of B-H under Serbian occupation". "Without their presence we can not continue with the process. If at the end of war torturer and victim will be equalized the war legacy of hate, anger and bitterness will not disappear", said Casesse.

    Back to Top
    Copyright 1995-2016 HR-Net (Hellenic Resources Network). An HRI Project.
    All Rights Reserved.

    HTML by the HR-Net Group / Hellenic Resources Institute
    bos2html v1.00 run on Monday, 13 November 1995 - 11:06:14