Read the CSCE Helsinki Act (1 August 1975) Read the Convention Relating to the Regime of the Straits (24 July 1923) Read the Convention Relating to the Regime of the Straits (24 July 1923)
HR-Net - Hellenic Resources Network Compact version
Today's Suggestion
Read The "Macedonian Question" (by Maria Nystazopoulou-Pelekidou)
HomeAbout HR-NetNewsWeb SitesDocumentsOnline HelpUsage InformationContact us
Sunday, 4 December 2022
 
News
  Latest News (All)
     From Greece
     From Cyprus
     From Europe
     From Balkans
     From Turkey
     From USA
  Announcements
  World Press
  News Archives
Web Sites
  Hosted
  Mirrored
  Interesting Nodes
Documents
  Special Topics
  Treaties, Conventions
  Constitutions
  U.S. Agencies
  Cyprus Problem
  Other
Services
  Personal NewsPaper
  Greek Fonts
  Tools
  F.A.Q.
 

Voice of America, 17 September 1995

From: yanni@ix.netcom.com (Ioannis Bousnakis)

Voice of America Directory

CONTENTS

  • [01] BOSNIA / DEADLINE (L) BY KYLE KING (ZAGREB)

  • [02] BOSNIA/OVERNIGHT (L) BY DAVID FOLEY (SARAJEVO)

  • [03] BOSNIA / FIGHTING (S-ONLY) BY WAYNE COREY (VIENNA)

  • [04] BOSNIA / REFUGEES (S) BY KYLE KING (ZAGREB)

  • [05] BOSNIA WEAPONS (S ONLY) BY DAVID FOLEY (SARAJEVO)

  • [06] HOLBROOKE/SARAJEVO (S ONLY) BY WAYNE COREY (VIENNA)

  • [07] PERRY/BOSNIA (S ONLY) BY WAYNE COREY (VIENNA)

  • [08] PERRY / EUROPE (S-ONLY) BY WAYNE COREY (VIENNA)


  • [01] BOSNIA / DEADLINE (L) BY KYLE KING (ZAGREB)

    DATE=9/17/95
    TYPE=CORRESPONDENT REPORT
    NUMBER=2-185477
    CONTENT=
    VOICED AT:

    INTRO: U-N AND NATO OFFICIALS HAVE GIVEN THE BOSNIAN SERBS AN ADDITIONAL 72 HOURS TO COMPLETE THE WITHDRAWAL OF THEIR HEAVY WEAPONS FROM AROUND SARAJEVO. THE EXTENSION CAME LATE SUNDAY, AT THE END OF A 72 HOUR PAUSE IN THE NEARLY THREE WEEK OLD NATO BOMBING CAMPAIGN DESIGNED TO END THE SERB SEIGE OF THE CITY. VOA'S KYLE KING HAS THIS REPORT FROM THE U-N HEADQUARTERS IN ZAGREB.

    TEXT: U-N AND NATO OFFICIALS SAY THE PAUSE IN AIR STRIKES WAS EXTENDED FOR THREE DAYS AFTER WHAT THEY CALL SUBSTANTIAL COMPLIANCE BY THE BOSNIAN SERBS.

    THE SERBS HAD BEEN GIVEN 72 HOURS TO PULL ALL THEIR HEAVY WEAPONS BACK FROM THE 20-KILOMETER EXCLUSION ZONE AROUND SARAJEVO OR FACE ANOTHER PUNISHING ROUND OF NATO BOMBARDMENT.

    AS THE FIRST DEADLINE WAS NEARING AN END, CONVOYS OF BOSNIAN SERB TANKS, HOWITZERS, AND MULTIPLE ROCKET LAUNCHERS WERE SEEN RUMBLING SOUTH AND WEST OUT OF THE CITY.

    A STATEMENT ISSUED BY U-N COMMANDER BERNARD JANVIER AND NATO SOUTH COMMANDER LEIGHTON SMITH, SAID THE SERBS HAD MADE A SUBSTANTIAL START TOWARDS WITHDRAWING BY THE TIME THE FIRST DEADLINE HAD BEEN REACHED AT TEN O'CLOCK SUNDAY NIGHT.

    NATO SPOKESMAN FRANCO VELTRI SAYS OFFICIALS ARE OPTIMISTIC ABOUT THE LATEST DEVELOPMENT.

    // BEGIN ACT //

    BOTH GENERAL JANVIER AND ADMIRAL SMITH ARE CONFIDENT THAT THIS IMPORTANT STEP WILL HELP US MOVE TOWARD A WIDER CESSATION OF HOSTILITIES IN BOSNIA HERZEGOVINA.

    // END ACT //

    U-N OFFICIALS SAY THE NEXT STEP WILL BE FOR GENERAL JANVIER TO MEET WITH MILITARY COMMANDERS FROM THE WARRING FACTIONS TO TRY TO FORMALIZE A CEASEFIRE IN SARAJEVO.

    BETWEEN NOW AND WEDNESDAY, OFFICIALS SAY THEY EXPECT THE SERBS TO CONTINUE PULLING THEIR HEAVY WEAPONS OUT OF THE CITY, TO KEEP THE AIRPORT AND ROADS OPEN AND TO ALLOW FREE ACCESS TO UNITED NATIONS TRAFFIC. (SIGNED)

    NEB/KBK/LWM
    17-Sep-95 6:41 PM EDT (2241 UTC)
    NNNN
    Source: Voice of America
    .


    [02] BOSNIA/OVERNIGHT (L) BY DAVID FOLEY (SARAJEVO)

    DATE=9/17/95
    TYPE=CORRESPONDENT REPORT
    NUMBER=2-185479
    CONTENT=
    VOICED AT:

    INTRO: UN AND NATO COMMANDERS HAVE GIVEN THE BOSNIAN SERBS ANOTHER 72 HOURS TO COMPLETE THE PULLOUT OF THEIR HEAVY WEAPONS FROM AROUND SARAJEVO. THE DECISION NOT TO RESUME NATO AIRSTRIKES CAME AFTER THE COMMANDERS DECIDED THE BOSNIAN SERBS HAD SHOWN "INITIAL COMPLIANCE" WITH UN AND NATO DEMANDS. MEANWHILE GOVERNMENT AND CROAT FORCES ARE CONTINUING TO ADVANCE INTO SERB HELD AREAS IN WESTERN AND CENTRAL BOSNIA, BUT THE BOSNIAN SERBS SAY THEY HAVE ESTABLISHED A NEW DEFENSIVE LINE. UN REFUGEE OFFICIALS SAY 70,000 SERB REFUGEES ARE ON THE MOVE IN THE AREA. DAVID FOLEY REPORTS FROM SARAJEVO.

    TEXT: THE JOINT STATEMENT, ISSUED BY THE SENIOR NATO AND UN COMMANDERS, SAID THE BOSNIAN SERBS HAD MADE A "SUBSTANTIAL START" TOWARD WITHDRAWING THEIR HEAVY WEAPONS FROM THE 20 KILOMETER EXCLUSION ZONE AROUND SARAJEVO. UN OFFICIALS SAID ONE HUNDRED AND FIFTY-SIX OF THE GUNS HAD BEEN MOVED OUT OF THE ZONE BEFORE THE DEADLINE EXPIRED AT 10 PM LOCAL TIME.

    UNDER THE AGREEMENT SIGNED BY THE BOSNIAN SERB MILITARY AND POLITICAL LEADERS THE SERBS WERE GIVEN SIX DAYS TO COMPLETE THE WITHDRAWAL, BUT ONLY 3 DAYS TO SHOW "SIGNIFICANT PROGRESS." THAT FIRST HURDLE HAS NOW BEEN OVERCOME AND UN OFFICIALS SAY THE SERBS HAVE THREE DAYS TO FINISH THE JOB. THE OFFICIALS SAY THE SERBS HAVE ALSO MET THE OTHER ELEMENTS OF THE AGREEMENT BY ALLOWING THE OPENING OF AID ROUTES INTO SARAJEVO AND PERMITTING THE OPENING THE CITY'S AIRPORT.

    UN OFFICIALS SAY SERB 82 MM MORTARS AND 100 MM ARTILLERY GUNS THAT WERE NOT INCLUDED IN THE ORIGINAL AGREEMENT MUST NOW ALSO BE WITHDRAWN. THE U.S. DIPLOMAT RICHARD HOLBROOKE, WHO BROKERED THE AGREEMENT BLAMED THE EARLIER OMISSION OF THESE WEAPONS ON A "CLERICAL ERROR."

    MR. HOLBROOKE, WHO HELD MEETINGS ON SUNDAY WITH BOSNIAN GOVERNMENT LEADERS IN SARAJEVO, BEFORE FLYING TO BELGRADE FOR DISCUSSIONS WITH SERBIAN PRESIDENT MILOSEVIC, IS TRYING TO NEGOTIATE AN OVERALL PEACE SETTLEMENT TO THE WAR IN BOSNIA. HE HAS SAID THE DISCUSSIONS WERE NOW AT A "CROSS-ROADS" AND HE SAID THE NEXT FEW DAYS WOULD BE CRUCIAL.

    HIS EFFORTS HAVE BEEN COMPLICATED BY A WEEK LONG COMBINED OFFENSIVE BY THE BOSNIAN ARMY AND BOSNIAN CROAT FORCES, BACKED BY THE CROATIAN ARMY, IN WESTERN AND CENTRAL BOSNIA. THE OFFENSIVE HAS SEIZED VAST AMOUNTS OF SERB HELD TERRITORY AND THE BOSNIAN SERB LEADER, RADOVAN KARADZIC, HAS ADMITTED HIS FORCES HAVE LOST MANY TOWNS HE SAID HAD BEEN UNDER SERB CONTROL FOR CENTURIES. BOSNIAN RADIO SAYS GOVERNMENT FORCES HAVE CAPTURED THE TOWN OF SANSKI MOST AND ARE ON THE OUTSKIRTS OF PRIJEDOR. THERE ALSO REPORTS OF TROOPS MOVING TOWARD THE SERB STRONGHOLD OF BANJA LUKA, BUT THE BOSNIAN SERB NEWS AGENCY SAYS A NEW DEFENSIVE LINE HAS BEEN ESTABLISHED SOUTH OF THE CITY TO HALT THE ADVANCE.

    UN REFUGEE OFFICIALS ESTIMATE 70,000 SERB REFUGEES ARE NOW FLEEING THE LATEST FIGHTING, AND THE OFFICIALS HAVE DESCRIBED THE SITUATION AROUND BANJA LUKA AS "CHAOTIC,". THE BOSNIAN PRIME MINISTER, HARIS SILAJDZIC, CLEARLY DELIGHTED WITH HIS SIDE'S SUCCESS ON THE BATTLEFIELD, HAS SAID HIS FORCES ARE NOW "IN THE DRIVER'S SEAT" FOR THE FIRST TIME IN THE THREE AND A HALF YEAR OLD WAR. (SIGNED)

    NEB/DF/LWM
    17-Sep-95 7:23 PM EDT (2323 UTC)
    NNNN
    Source: Voice of America
    .


    [03] BOSNIA / FIGHTING (S-ONLY) BY WAYNE COREY (VIENNA)

    DATE=9/17/95
    TYPE=CORRESPONDENT REPORT
    NUMBER=2-185480
    CONTENT=
    VOICED AT:
    /// THIS CAN BE USED IN ADDITION TO THE CRS ON THE NATO DEADLINE EXTENSION ///

    INTRO: THE BOSNIAN SERBS ACKNOWLEDGE THEY HAVE LOST A LOT OF TERRITORY DURING THE MUSLIM AND CROAT OFFENSIVE IN WESTERN AND CENTRAL BOSNIA. BUT THE SERBS DENY THE LOSS OF ONE TOWN, REPORTED TO HAVE FALLEN, AND THEY SAY THEIR DEFENSE LINES ARE NOW STABILIZING. V-O-A'S CENTRAL EUROPEAN CORRESPONDENT, WAYNE COREY, REPORTS.

    TEXT: BOSNIAN SERB LEADER RADOVAN KARADZIC SAYS THE SERBS HAVE LOST SEVERAL TOWNS AND TERRITORY THAT HAVE BELONGED TO THEM FOR CENTURIES.

    IN AN INTERVIEW WITH THE RUSSIAN NEWS AGENCY, ITAR-TASS, HE SAYS THE SERBS ARE NOW ESTABLISHING NEW DEFENSE LINES.

    AT THE SAME TIME, THE BOSNIAN SERB OFFICE IN BELGRADE SAYS SHELTERS FOR SERB REFUGEES FROM OTHER AREAS ARE FUNCTIONING IN THE TOWN OF SANSKI MOST. SARAJEVO RADIO EARLIER SAID THE BOSNIAN ARMY CAPTURED THAT TOWN.

    MUSLIM AND CROAT FORCES HAVE SHELLED DOBOJ, THE SECOND LARGEST SERB-HELD TOWN. BUT SERB DEFENSES THERE ARE SAID TO BE STABLE.

    THERE IS NO CLEAR INDICATION YET THAT THE LARGEST SERB TOWN, BANJA LUKA, IS IN ANY IMMEDIATE DANGER.

    BUT THE MUSLIMS AND CROATS, BACKED BY THE CROATIAN ARMY, COULD SOON BE WITHIN SHELLING RANGE OF THE TOWN IF THEY CONTINUE THEIR ADVANCE. A CROATIAN OFFICIAL IN ZAGREB SAYS THE BANJA LUKA AREA SHOULD BECOME PART OF THE MUSLIM/CROAT FEDERATION IN BOSNIA. (SIGNED)

    NEB / WC / BD / SKH
    17-Sep-95 7:02 PM EDT (2302 UTC)
    NNNN
    Source: Voice of America
    .


    [04] BOSNIA / REFUGEES (S) BY KYLE KING (ZAGREB)

    DATE=9/17/95
    TYPE=CORRESPONDENT REPORT
    NUMBER=2-185474
    CONTENT=
    VOICED AT:
    /// EDS NOTE: THIS CAN BE USED IN ADDITION TO FOLEY SHORT CR ON THE EXTENSION OF THE NATO DEADLINE AGAINST THE SERBS ///

    INTRO: (MEANWHILE) RELIEF WORKERS IN BOSNIA-HERZEGOVINA SAY THEY ARE FACING ANOTHER MAJOR REFUGEE CRISIS. A COMBINED OFFENSIVE BY BOSNIAN GOVERNMENT TROOPS AND THEIR CROAT ALLIES, HAS NOW FORCED TENS OF THOUSANDS OF SERB REFUGEES TO FLEE THEIR HOMES. FROM ZAGREB, VOA'S KYLE KING HAS THIS REPORT.

    TEXT: U-N OFFICIALS SAY MORE THAN 70-THOUSAND BOSNIAN SERB REFUGEES HAVE NOW GATHERED IN AND AROUND THE SERB STRONGHOLD OF BANJA LUKA. THOUSANDS OF OTHERS IN CARS, ON TRACTORS AND EVEN RIDING HORSE-DRAWN CARRIAGES ARE SAID TO BE MAKING THEIR WAY TO THE TOWN, WHERE OFFICIALS DESCRIBE THE SITUATION AS CHAOTIC.

    U-N OFFICIALS SAY RELIEF SUPPLIES ARE BEING BROUGHT IN FROM BELGRADE TO TRY TO DEAL WITH THE UNFOLDING DRAMA.

    THE LATEST EXODUS COMES AFTER A STRING OF SUCCESSES BY BOSNIAN GOVERNMENT TROOPS AND THEIR CROAT ALLIES, WHO HAVE CAPTURED SEVERAL TOWNS NEAR BANJA LUKA.

    SOME ANALYSTS SAY THE REFUGEE CRISIS AND THE RECENT GAINS BY THE MUSLIM-LED BOSNIAN ARMY COULD COMPLICATE THE ONGOING PEACE NEGOTIATIONS.

    WITH BOSNIAN TROOPS NOW POISED OUTSIDE BANJA LUKA, THERE IS A GROWING THREAT OF INTERVENTION BY THE SERB-DOMINATED YUGOSLAV ARMY.

    AND WITH FORTUNES OF THE BOSNIAN ARMY NOW ON THE RISE, SOME ANALYSTS SAY THE BOSNIAN GOVERNMENT MAY BEGIN TO THINK IT STANDS TO GAIN MORE ON THE BATTLEFIELD THAN AT THE NEGOTIATING TABLE. (SIGNED)

    NEB/KBK/SKH
    17-Sep-95 4:44 PM EDT (2044 UTC)
    NNNN
    Source: Voice of America
    .


    [05] BOSNIA WEAPONS (S ONLY) BY DAVID FOLEY (SARAJEVO)

    DATE=9/17/95
    TYPE=CORRESPONDENT REPORT
    NUMBER=2-185455
    CONTENT=
    VOICED AT:

    INTRO: U-N OFFICIALS SAY THE BOSNIAN SERBS HAVE MOVED MORE OF THEIR HEAVY WEAPONS OUT OF THE 20 KILOMETER EXCLUSION ZONE AROUND SARAJEVO. THE SERBS HAVE ONLY HOURS TO MOVE "SIGNIFICANT NUMBERS" OF THE GUNS OR THEY FACE THE RESUMPTION OF NATO AIRSTRIKES. MEANWHILE IN NORTHERN BOSNIA GOVERNMENT TROOPS AND CROAT FORCES, BACKED BY THE CROATIAN ARMY, ARE REPORTEDLY ROUTING THE BOSNIAN SERBS. KEY SERB-HELD TOWNS ARE CONTINUING TO FALL AND THE SERB STRONGHOLD OF BANJA LUKA IS NOW THREATENED. DAVID FOLEY REPORTS FROM SARAJEVO.

    TEXT: THE BOSNIAN SERBS HAVE NOW REMOVED ABOUT A THIRD OF THEIR 200 HEAVY WEAPONS FROM THE EXCLUSION ZONE, AND U-N OFFICIALS DESCRIBE THE MOVEMENT AS AN "ENCOURAGING DEVELOPMENT." IT IS NOT CLEAR IF THIS WILL SATISFY U-N AND NATO COMMANDERS, WHO WILL DECIDE ON SUNDAY NIGHT IF THE SERBS WILL BE ALLOWED ANOTHER 72 HOURS TO FINISH THE WITHDRAWAL.

    THE BOSNIAN ARMY COMMANDER, GENERAL RATKO MLADIC, CERTAINLY HAS MORE USE FOR THE GUNS IN NORTHERN BOSNIA WHERE HIS ARMY IS BEING ROUTED BY GOVERNMENT AND CROAT FORCES.

    BOSNIAN RADIO, WHICH HAS BEEN RELIABLE DURING THE CAMPAIGN, SAYS THE SERB-HELD TOWN OF SANSKI MOST HAS FALLEN, AND GOVERNMENT TROOPS ARE ON THE OUTSKIRTS OF PRIJEDOR.

    THE RADIO REPORTS GOVERNMENT FORCES ARE ADVANCING TOWARD THE KEY SERB TOWN OF BANJA LUKA, AND U-N MILITARY OFFICIALS SAY THE BOSNIAN ARMY IS GETTING STRONGER AS ABANDONED SERB HEAVY WEAPONS ARE CAPTURED. U-N AID OFFICIALS SAY AS MANY AS 90-THOUSAND SERB REFUGEES ARE NOW FLEEING TOWARD BANJA LUKA. (SIGNED)

    NEB/DF/DW/WJK
    17-Sep-95 7:39 AM EDT (1139 UTC)
    NNNN
    Source: Voice of America
    .


    [06] HOLBROOKE/SARAJEVO (S ONLY) BY WAYNE COREY (VIENNA)

    DATE=9/17/95
    TYPE=CORRESPONDENT REPORT
    NUMBER=2-185466
    CONTENT=
    VOICED AT:

    INTRO: U-S ENVOY RICHARD HOLBROOKE IS IN SARAJEVO. HE SAYS THE OUTCOME OF HIS PEACE EFFORTS FOR BOSNIA-HERZEGOVINA COULD BE DETERMINED IN THE COMING HOURS AND DAYS. V-O-A'S CENTRAL-EUROPEAN CORRESPONDENT, WAYNE COREY, REPORTS.

    TEXT: MR. HOLBROOKE FLEW INTO SARAJEVO TO MEET WITH BOSNIAN PRESIDENT ALIJA IZETBEGOVIC AND WITH THE U-N MILITARY COMMANDER, BRITISH GENERAL RUPERT SMITH. MR. HOLBROOKE TOLD REPORTERS THE NEXT FEW HOURS AND DAYS MAY WELL DETERMINE WHEN AND HOW THE WAR IN BOSNIA-HERZEGOVINA ENDS. HE SAYS BOSNIA IS AT THE CROSSROAD OF WAR AND PEACE. IF THE SERBS PERMANENTLY LIFT THEIR SIEGE OF SARAJEVO, HE SAYS THAT WILL BE AN ENORMOUS IMPETUS TOWARD PEACE. IF THE SIEGE IS NOT LIFTED, HE WARNS THE UNITED STATES WILL CERTAINLY CALL FOR NATO TO RESUME ITS AIR ATTACKS ON THE SERBS. MR. HOLBROOKE SAYS THERE IS NO LONGER ANY QUESTION ABOUT THE CALIBER OF THE HEAVY WEAPONS THE SERBS MUST WITHDRAW FROM SARAJEVO. THE BOSNIAN SERBS SAY THEY WILL WITHDRAW ALL THEIR HEAVY WEAPONS FROM THE BOSNIAN CAPITAL BY THE LATE-SUNDAY DEADLINE SET BY THE UNITED NATIONS AND NATO. THE PULLOUT HAS BEEN SPEEDED UP IN THE HOURS BEFORE THE DEADLINE APPROACHED. (SIGNED)

    NEB/WC/DW/RAE
    17-Sep-95 12:25 PM EDT (1625 UTC)
    NNNN
    Source: Voice of America
    .


    [07] PERRY/BOSNIA (S ONLY) BY WAYNE COREY (VIENNA)

    DATE=9/17/95
    TYPE=CORRESPONDENT REPORT
    NUMBER=2-185467
    CONTENT=
    VOICED AT:

    INTRO: U-S DEFENSE SECRETARY WILLIAM PERRY SAYS THE BOSNIAN SERBS HAVE SPEEDED UP THEIR WITHDRAWAL OF HEAVY WEAPONS FROM SARAJEVO. U-N OFFICIALS SAY THEY ARE MORE CONFIDENT THE SERBS WILL COMPLY WITH A LATE SUNDAY DEADLINE FOR REMOVING THE HEAVY WEAPONS. V-O-A'S CENTRAL EUROPEAN CORRESPONDENT, WAYNE COREY, REPORTS.

    TEXT: ENDING A VISIT TO THE FORMER YUGOSLAV REPUBLIC OF SLOVENIA, DEFENSE SECRETARY PERRY SAYS SOME ACCELERATION OF THE SERB HEAVY WEAPONS WITHDRAWAL HAS OCCURRED. MR. PERRY SAYS THE WITHDRAWAL SPEEDED UP AFTER NATO WARNED THE SERBS IT WAS PROCEEDING TOO SLOWLY. THE COMMANDER OF A U-S AIRCRAFT CARRIER IN THE ADRIATIC SEA HAS SAID THE AIRCRAFT ON HIS SHIP ARE READY TO GO INTO ACTION, IF NECESSARY, ON VERY SHORT NOTICE. U-N AND NATO MILITARY COMMANDERS WILL DECIDE LATE SUNDAY IF THE BOSNIAN SERBS HAVE MADE SUBSTANTIAL PROGRESS IN PULLING BACK THEIR HEAVY WEAPONS FROM SARAJEVO. DEFENSE SECRETARY PERRY SAYS HE EXPECTS AND CERTAINLY HOPES ENOUGH WEAPONS WILL BE WITHDRAWN TO PERSUADE NATO TO CONTINUE TO SUSPEND ITS AIR ATTACKS ON THE BOSNIAN SERBS. THE UNITED NATIONS IS NOT SAYING HOW MANY SERB HEAVY WEAPONS HAVE TO BE WITHDRAWN -- THE ESTIMATE IS ABOUT 300. U-N OFFICIALS DO NOT KNOW THE EXACT NUMBER BECAUSE MANY OF THE WEAPONS AROUND SARAJEVO CAN BE CONCEALED IN MILITARY VEHICLES. (SIGNED)

    NEB/WC/DW/RAE
    17-Sep-95 12:58 PM EDT (1658 UTC)
    NNNN
    Source: Voice of America
    .


    [08] PERRY / EUROPE (S-ONLY) BY WAYNE COREY (VIENNA)

    DATE=9/17/95
    TYPE=CORRESPONDENT REPORT
    NUMBER=2-185476
    CONTENT=
    VOICED AT:

    /// EDS NOTE: SUBS PERRY / BOSNIA SHORT C-R ///

    INTRO: AMERICAN DEFENSE SECRETARY WILLIAM PERRY SAYS THE FORMER YUGOSLAV REPUBLIC OF SLOVENIA IS A MODEL FOR THE REST OF CENTRAL EUROPE. HE SUGGESTS SLOVENIA IS A STRONG CANDIDATE TO JOIN NATO. V-O-A'S CENTRAL EUROPEAN CORRESPONDENT, WAYNE COREY, REPORTS.

    TEXT: ENDING A VISIT TO SLOVENIA, DEFENSE SECRETARY PERRY PRAISED THE FORMER YUGOSLAV REPUBLIC'S TRANSITION TO DEMOCRACY AND A MARKET ECONOMY. MR. PERRY SAID SLOVENIA IS A MODEL FOR CENTRAL EUROPE AND IS A STRONG CANDIDATE TO BE INTEGRATED INTO EUROPEAN ECONOMIC AND SECURITY STRUCTURES. SLOVENIA HAS NOT BEEN ENGULFED IN WAR LIKE NEIGHBORING CROATIA OR BOSNIA-HERZEGOVINA FOR ONE MAJOR REASON-- VERY FEW SLOVENIAN CITIZENS ARE ETHNIC SERBS. THE U-S DEFENSE SECRETARY'S VISIT TO SLOVENIA HAS STRENGTHENED A BILATERAL MILITARY COOPERATION AGREEMENT, REACHED LAST YEAR. MR. PERRY IS NOW IN BRATISLAVA AT THE START OF A VISIT TO SLOVAKIA. HE AND SLOVAK LEADERS WILL DISCUSS NATO'S PLANNED EASTWARD EXPANSION, EUROPEAN SECURITY AND BILATERAL MILITARY TIES. DURING HIS TRIP TO CENTRAL EUROPE, MR. PERRY WILL ALSO VISIT THE CZECH REPUBLIC AND HUNGARY. (SIGNED)

    NEB/WC/SKH
    17-Sep-95 6:10 PM EDT (2210 UTC)
    NNNN
    Source: Voice of America

    Back to Top
    Copyright © 1995-2022 HR-Net (Hellenic Resources Network). An HRI Project.
    All Rights Reserved.

    HTML by the HR-Net Group / Hellenic Resources Institute, Inc.
    voa2html v1.01 run on Sunday, 17 September 1995 - 20:43:04