HR-Net - Hellenic Resources Network Compact version
Today's Suggestion
Browse through our Interesting Nodes on Automotive Issues in Greece
HomeAbout HR-NetNewsWeb SitesDocumentsOnline HelpUsage InformationContact us
Tuesday, 24 October 2017
 
News
  Latest News (All)
     From Greece
     From Cyprus
     From Europe
     From Balkans
     From Turkey
     From USA
  Announcements
  World Press
  News Archives
Web Sites
  Hosted
  Mirrored
  Interesting Nodes
Documents
  Special Topics
  Treaties, Conventions
  Constitutions
  U.S. Agencies
  Cyprus Problem
  Other
Services
  Personal NewsPaper
  Greek Fonts
  Tools
  F.A.Q.
 

Cyprus News Agency: News in English, 09-12-30

Cyprus News Agency: News in English Directory - Previous Article - Next Article

From: The Cyprus News Agency at <http://www.cyna.org.cy>


CONTENTS

  • [01] BRITAIN CONFIDENTIAL PAPERS CYPRUS
  • [02] ELEFTHERIA SQUARE - RECONSTRUCTION
  • [03] BAGDATIS BRISBANE INTERNATIONAL

  • [01] BRITAIN CONFIDENTIAL PAPERS CYPRUS

    British Government confidential papers of 1979 publicised on Wednesday according to the 30-year rule, said that the outcome of the meeting between Cyprus President Kyprianou and the Turkish Cypriot leader Rauf Denktash under the chairmanship of the UN SecretaryGeneral Dr Waldheim on 1819 May 1979, was a great deal, better than generally expected.

    A document of the British High Commission in Nicosia pointed out that both leaders showed a high degree of flexibility. President Kyprianou was said to be the more ready to try to find compromises although the Turkish Cypriot side seemed to have made the more significant concessions. The same document refers to major differences still remaining between the two sides with the danger of the accord being undermined before the inter-communal talks even resume on the 15 of June.

    According to the papers, difficulties arose from the second meeting of the interlocutors George Joannides and Umit Souleiman Oman on June 18, with the main subject of discussion that of the missing people. With Varosha being the main subject of discussion at the third meeting, on the 20th of the month, the atmosphere of the talks became even worse. These initial difficulties could be overcome if it was not for the insistence by the Turkish Cypriot side on acceptance of the concepts of bi-zonality and security.

    Speaking at a press conference on 24 of June, the Turkish Cypriot leader Rauf Denktash, alleged that his agreement with President Makarios on 12 February, 1977, provided for a bi-zonal federation. He further alleged that Makarios had asked for the avoidance of words and terms, which could cause difficulties for him within the community. He also made a reference to a speech by the then Foreign Minister John Christofides, to the Security Council on the 31st August 1977, acknowledging that the Greek Cypriot side had agreed to bi-zonality.

    The Greek Cypriot negotiator George Joannides categorically denied that any agreement had been reached with regard to bi-zonality or security. A Greek Cypriot spokesman said that neither in the Guidelines agreed at the meeting between the late President nor in the UN minutes was there any reference to bizonality. The spokesman said that it was right to say that the bi-zonal question was raised at the Makarios- Denktash meeting but it was rejected by the Greek Cypriot side as the Turkish Cypriot side rejected a number of Greek Cypriot proposals.

    President Kyprianou stated that the Turkish Cypriot side could of course raise the questions of bizonality and security at the inter-communal talks. What the Greek Cypriot side could not agree on was to acceptance of the two concepts as preconditions for the resumption of the inter-communal talks.

    In an effort to ease the way for the resumption of the talks, the UN Secretariat prepared a Memorandum with the following formulation to overcome the two thorny points: 1--- Both parties have reaffirmed their support for a Federation as provided in the Guidelines, which will be composed of two constituent parts that have variously referred to as areas or zones. 2--- Both parties have indicated that the matter of security may be raised and discussed in the inter-communal talks. It is understood that the settlement will provide for the security of both communities.

    Nevertheless, 1979 ended without the resumption of the inter-communal talks. According to the documents, this can be explained, perhaps, by a reference in a British High Commission document dated 24 September 1979. ``There is increasing evidence that the 19th May Agreement was not welcome by the Turkish Government which has since apparently sought ways of preventing any chance that resumed inter-communal talks might make progress,`` it is noted.

    A Foreign Office paper prepared for the then Foreign Minister Sir Ian Gilmour, who would see the Cypriot Foreign Minister Nicos Rolandis, on the 21st of April 1979, said that under the Treaty of Establishment, the United Kingdom undertook to provide aid of 12 million to Cyprus over the 5 years to 1965 and to make a number of other special payments.

    In 1965 and before the end of each succeeding period of 5 years the Government shall review, in consultation with the Government of the Republic, in the following period of 5 years the provision of aid. From 1965 no aid has been given.

    The Cyprus Government, the same document goes on to say, have regularly drawn attention to the British commitment. It has at times been suggested that rent should be paid for the SBAs. If this should be ruled out, rent should be paid for retained areas and for facilities such as roads. At one stage, 150 was mentioned as owing to Cyprus.

    The British Government supported that Cypriot claims had no legal validity but with pressure from the Cyprus Government building up an offer was made, in June 1978, of a loan of 7.5 at 6% 25 years maturity. The money will be used for purposes benefiting both communities. This offer, the British Government said, represents the total bilateral aid that will be available to Cyprus for the foreseeable future. It is to be regarded as discharging Britains obligation to the Cyprus Government.

    Rolandis said that it was imperative for the British Government to take action. He suggested that agreement could be reached on the basis of a draft which he gave to Sir Ian. The Cypriot Minister said that ``Britain offered a loan of 7.5 million. Cyprus was asking for a grant of over 200 million.``

    [02] ELEFTHERIA SQUARE - RECONSTRUCTION

    Nicosia Mayor Eleni Mavrou has said that according to reconstruction plans, Eleftheria Square, at the centre of the town, will become an environmentally friendly place.

    Speaking to CNA, Mavrou said that the amended reconstruction plans of the Square and the moat extended up to Solomou Square provide for the planting of more trees in the area, while venues for holding events and activities will be created.

    Mavrou said that archeological excavations have resulted in long delays in the implementation of the project and added that the aim of the Municipality is to complete and deliver the biggest part of the project before Cyprus takes over the EU rotating presidency in 2012.

    [03] BAGDATIS BRISBANE INTERNATIONAL

    After an intensive training block in Argentina during December, Cypriot tennis player Marcos Baghdatis will participate in the Brisbane International, which begins Sunday 3rd of January, marking the first tournament of the 2010 ATP World Tour season.

    Marcos Bagdatis ends 2009 on a high note, having won his third ATP World Tour title in Stockholm, which was preceded by a Challenger win in Tashkent. Overall, he has won his past nine competitive matches, dating back to a close three-set loss to Rafael Nadal in Beijing in early October.

    Keen to make his mark quickly on the court, Marcos will arrive in Brisbane by Thursday 31st December, meaning he will overcome his jetlag and adjust to the conditions nicely in advance of the tournament start on Sunday. Bagdatis will be joined in Australia by Coach Eduardo Infantino, trainer Diego Martos and Argentine player Juan Spina.

    Following his appearance in Brisbane, Marcos will compete in the Medibank International in Sydney before contesting the first Grand Slam of the year the Australian Open in Melbourne.


    Cyprus News Agency: News in English Directory - Previous Article - Next Article
    Back to Top
    Copyright 1995-2016 HR-Net (Hellenic Resources Network). An HRI Project.
    All Rights Reserved.

    HTML by the HR-Net Group / Hellenic Resources Institute, Inc.
    cna2html v2.01 run on Wednesday, 30 December 2009 - 10:39:15 UTC