Visit the Point of Reference Homepage Read the Convention Relating to the Regime of the Straits (24 July 1923) Read the Convention Relating to the Regime of the Straits (24 July 1923)
HR-Net - Hellenic Resources Network Compact version
Today's Suggestion
Read The "Macedonian Question" (by Maria Nystazopoulou-Pelekidou)
HomeAbout HR-NetNewsWeb SitesDocumentsOnline HelpUsage InformationContact us
Monday, 20 May 2024
 
News
  Latest News (All)
     From Greece
     From Cyprus
     From Europe
     From Balkans
     From Turkey
     From USA
  Announcements
  World Press
  News Archives
Web Sites
  Hosted
  Mirrored
  Interesting Nodes
Documents
  Special Topics
  Treaties, Conventions
  Constitutions
  U.S. Agencies
  Cyprus Problem
  Other
Services
  Personal NewsPaper
  Greek Fonts
  Tools
  F.A.Q.
 

Cyprus PIO: News Update in English, 03-07-21

Cyprus Press and Information Office: News Updates in English Directory - Previous Article - Next Article

From: The Republic of Cyprus Press and Information Office Server at <http://www.pio.gov.cy/>

  • [01]Monday, 21 July 2003 President Papadopoulos: Turkey's allegations over military build-up in government-controlled areas are unfounded
  • [02] The acceptance of Denktash's proposals would lead to the postponement of the peace talks, says Foreign Minister
  • [03] Australia renews mandate of Cyprus Special Envoy

    [01] President Papadopoulos: Turkey's allegations over military build-up in government-controlled areas are unfounded

    Turkey should be the last to make allegations over a military build-up in the government-controlled areas of the Republic of Cyprus, President Papadopoulos said and added that since he had undertaken the Presidency of the Republic last February, the Government had not ordered any weapons system. Invited to comment on statements by the Commander of the Turkish ground forces claiming that Turkey was monitoring a military build-up in the government-controlled areas of the Republic, Mr Papadopoulos underlined that such allegations were unfounded.

    In other statements to the press, made after the memorial service for those who fell during the 1974 Turkish invasion at the Church of Faneromeni in Nicosia yesterday, the President noted, "We are determined to try until the end, in a peaceful manner, to resume negotiations with a view to terminating the invasion and occupation. The people should have a fighting spirit, courage and patience".

    [02] The acceptance of Denktash's proposals would lead to the postponement of the peace talks, says Foreign Minister

    The acceptance of the proposal by the Turkish Cypriot leader Rauf Denktash to reopen the Nicosia Airport would undoubtedly lead to the postponement of the negotiations for reaching a settlement of the Cyprus problem, Foreign Minister Georgios Iacovou has noted. Mr Iacovou further said that the existence of two exits at the Nicosia Airport and the possibility of exporting goods from that airport, as envisaged by Mr Denktash's proposal, would provide the pseudostate with the status that the Turkish Cypriot leader had been seeking. "What he (Turkish Cypriot leader) is pursuing is the non-solution of the Cyprus problem and the sabotage of the peace process. He is also pursuing an agreement which would provide him with an upgraded presence and culminate in the establishment of two 'neighbouring entities'. These are the goals of the occupation leader in putting forward his latest proposal", the Foreign Minister added.

    He also underlined that a solution of the Cyprus issue on the basis of two states and two nations was a known pursuit of not only Mr Denktash but also of Ankara and the Turkish Prime Minister. "Having that in mind", Mr Iacovou said, "Mr Erdogan is not any different from his predecessors". The Foreign Minister was speaking to the press at Larnaca Airport yesterday morning, upon his departure for Brussels to attend the EU General Affairs and External Relations Council on 21-22 July 2003.

    [03] Australia renews mandate of Cyprus Special Envoy

    The Australian Foreign Minister, Mr Alexander Downer, has announced last week that Australia's Special Envoy for Cyprus, Mr Jim Short, had been reappointed for another 12 months, until 30 June 2004. In a statement, Mr Downer conveyed his government's "deep disappointment" over the breakdown of the UN-led peace talks at The Hague last March, adding that "the reasons for that failure, and the way ahead, were clearly spelled out in the UN Secretary-General's report which was endorsed by the UN Security Council". He further noted that "although a unique opportunity has been lost, it is pleasing that the UN Secretary-General's revised plan - the Annan plan - remains on the table should the Greek and Turkish Cypriot leaders decide to resume talks". The Australian FM pledged that his government would continue to work towards the attainment of a just, comprehensive and lasting solution to the Cyprus dispute by encouraging continued discussions by all the parties involved and the early resumption of the peace talks. From the Republic of Cyprus Press and Information Office (PIO)
    Cyprus Press and Information Office: News Updates in English Directory - Previous Article - Next Article
  • Back to Top
    Copyright © 1995-2023 HR-Net (Hellenic Resources Network). An HRI Project.
    All Rights Reserved.

    HTML by the HR-Net Group / Hellenic Resources Institute, Inc.
    cypio2html v1.02 run on Monday, 21 July 2003 - 13:37:20 UTC