|Friday, 22 November 2019|
Cyprus Broadcasting Corporation: News in English, 99-09-03
From: The Cyprus Broadcasting Corporation at <http://www.cybc.com.cy/>
FRIDAY 3 SEPTEMBER 1999
 HARPAS BODY/FUNERALThe body of 69-year-old Greek-Cypriot enclaved Stelios Harpas, murdered near the occupied village of Rizokarpasso on Monday night, was around noon today handed over to the authorities of the Republic at the Ledra Palace roadblock.
The body has been since transferred to Nicosia General Hospital for a second post-mortem. Following the first post-mortem performed by the occupation authorities in Famagusta yesterday, it was ascertained that Harpas had been murdered by two bullets in the head and that the perpetrators, in an apparent attempt to cover up any traces of the crime, placed his dead body in a car which they then set afire.
Stelios Harpas' funeral is scheduled to be held at Linopetra's Ayios Stylianos church at five o'clock this afternoon.
 T/C PRESS HARPASTurkish-Cypriot newspapers today disclosed the full names of the four suspects involved in what the media on both sides of the line dividing the island describe as the "brutal" murder of Stelios Harpas.
The four are brothers Recep, Co?kun and Mehmet G?ng?r, and Mehmet Seyhan, and were today arraigned before a Turkish-Cypriot court, which ordered their three-day remand. Recep, who is presented as the last person to converse with the victim, has reportedly denied any involvement in the crime.
Investigations are continuing.
 UNFICYP HARPASMeanwhile, UNFICYP spokesperson Sarah Russel told our station this morning that the peace-keeping force's report on the results of the post-mortem performed by the occupation regime on Harpas' body will be handed over to the Republic's authorities later today.
She went on to say that the Turkish-Cypriot authorities will not be notified of the contents of the report, given that the victim was a Greek-Cypriot. The report in question has been drafted by the two UNFICYP doctors who were allowed to attend, as observers, yesterday's post-mortem.
 CY CEMTurkish Foreign Minister Ismail Cem, following a London meeting with his British counterpart Robin Cook yesterday, mentioned, for the first time in his current capacity, to "a tendency for positive developments" in the Cyprus Issue.
Using diplomatic language and avoiding any disclosure as regards Turkey's intentions, Mr Cem also referred to the great complexity of the issue, saying that it is for this complexity that he is careful in exactly which words he chooses to use. As regards the improvement of relations between his country and Greece, Turkey's Foreign Minister said that he is not in any way pessimistic, noting that he is looking forward to this month's meeting, in New York, with his Greek counterpart George Papandreou.
 CY COOKBritain's Foreign Secretary Robin Cook also referred to the Cyprus Issue after his meeting with Turkish Foreign Minister Ismail Cem.
Specifically, he mentioned that the long-standing problem was indeed discussed, while during the meeting the hope was also expressed that recent international initiatives will create a climate within which to advance a universally-acceptable solution in Cyprus, thus enbabling both Cyprus and Turkey to proceed in their respective courses as EU candidate-states.
 MIDEASTUS Secretary of State Madeleine Albright today struggled to close an elusive deal between Israel and the Palestinians on reviving their Wye River peace accord.
However, prospects for a signing in Egypt later today appeared increasingly unlikely with the approach, at 1530 GMT, of the Jewish Sabbath, when Israeli Prime Minister Ehud Barak would be expected not to travel. Earlier, Prime Minister Barak's office said that Mrs Albright was trying to "facilitate an end to the negotiations with the Palestinians that would permit a signing of an agreement". The two had met in Jerusalem for three hours of talks in the dead of last night, in a bid to break a deadlock over the emotive issue of Israel's release of Palestinian prisoners.
Meanwhile, a Palestinian official was quoted by Reuters just over half an hour ago that the dispute has been resolved and the sides are putting the final touches to the renewed peace accord.
No further information was available.
 WORLD IN BRIEFAnd now for a look at news from around the world in brief:
- East Timor is bracing for more violence tomorrow, given the expected announcement of ballot results on independence, an option fiercely opposed by pro-Jakarta militiamen who now control much of the territory. Indonesian military commander General Wiranto said he had sent two battalions of extra troops to the region at the request of the United Nations.
- Malaysian Prime Minister Mahathir Mohamad's decision to withdraw from next week's Asia-Pacific summit in New Zealand is fanning speculation that he plans to call snap elections in the immediate future.
- In Russia, the Pacific Ocean department of the Federal Border Guards reported that the country's coast guard opened fire on a Chinese trawler and detained it for poaching fish in Russian waters.
- And in Paris, two years after the fatal car crash which led to the death of Britain's Princess Diana and her escort Dodi Al-Fayed, French judges have dismissed manslaughter and other charges against nine photographers and a motorcyclist involved in the case.
 MURDER ATTEMPT20-year-old Savvas Savva, a resident of the Strovolos 2 housing estate, was the victim of a failed murder attempt outside Nicosia's "Concerto" night-spot at around 4:30 this morning.
In relation to the incident, Police Press Spokesman Glafkos Xenos said that Savva was shot at seven times by a hooded individual who then proceeded to flee the scene. Five of the bullets hit their intended target, who was immediately rushed to Nicosia General Hospital, where he was promptly operated upon. Doctors describe his condition as critical.
According to preliminary investigations, the would-be murderer is believed to be relatively young, approximately 1-metre 70-centimetres tall.
 FATALITY43-year-old Elias Shammas from Psimolofou and lately of Lakatamia was killed in a freak road accident near the Yermasoyia roundabout at around 7:15 last night.
Preliminary investigations indicate that Shammas had stopped his car on the hard shoulder and for reasons unknown had stepped outside, when he was struck and fatally wounded by a passing car driven by 36-year-old Nicosia journalist Apostolos Vassiliou, who has been detained by Police in order to facilitate investigations.
 BASKETBALL TOURNEYThis year's Caretta Sunball Classic basketball tournament ended last night, with the Benetton Treviso squad defeating the Greek team of Panathinaikos by 67-60 to win the cup.
Third place in the international tournament was taken by Kinder Bologna, while Lithuania's Zalgiris Kauna placed fourth.
 WEATHERThe weather this afternoon will be generally fair, but some cloud cover is expected to develop over the mountains, with the possibility of light showers. Winds will be moderate sea-breezes, 4BF, giving rise to moderate seas, mainly off south-facing, windward shores. Temperatures are not expected to exceed 33C inland, 31C in coastal regions and 23C on the higher reaches of the Troodos mountains.
Generally fair conditions are also forecast for this evening, with mist and low cloud also expected to form along the coasts. Winds will settle to northwesterly light, 3BF, on slight seas, while temperatures will drop to 20C inland and in coastal regions, and 14C over the mountains.
The fire hazard is extremely high in all forest areas.