Visit the Hellenic Ministry of National Defence (MOD) Mirror on HR-Net A)? GHT="50">
Compact version
Today's Suggestion
Read The "Macedonian Question" (by Maria Nystazopoulou-Pelekidou)
HomeAbout HR-NetNewsWeb SitesDocumentsOnline HelpUsage InformationContact us
Friday, 18 October 2019
 
News
  Latest News (All)
     From Greece
     From Cyprus
     From Europe
     From Balkans
     From Turkey
     From USA
  Announcements
  World Press
  News Archives
Web Sites
  Hosted
  Mirrored
  Interesting Nodes
Documents
  Special Topics
  Treaties, Conventions
  Constitutions
  U.S. Agencies
  Cyprus Problem
  Other
Services
  Personal NewsPaper
  Greek Fonts
  Tools
  F.A.Q.
 

Cyprus PIO: Turkish Cypriot Press and Other Media, 98-01-21

Cyprus Press and Information Office: Turkish Cypriot Press Review Directory - Previous Article - Next Article

From: The Republic of Cyprus Press and Information Office Server at <http://www.pio.gov.cy/>


TURKISH CYPRIOT PRESS AND OTHER MEDIA

No. 11/98 -- 21.1.98

[A] NEWS ITEMS

  • [01] Denktash: Relations with UK to be reviewed over visa issue.
  • [02] Denktash asks Feissel for clarifications on UN document.
  • [03] Eroglu on UK visa demand, participation in EU talks.
  • [04] "Court" extends Kantarakis' "remand" another four days.
  • [05] Denktash hosts dinner for visiting Turkish Ambassadors.
  • [06] Armenian monastery to be restored and turned into a hotel.

  • [A] NEWS ITEMS

    [01] Denktash: Relations with UK to be reviewed over visa issue

    According to illegal Bayrak radio (16:30 hours, 20.1.98) Rauf Denktash has said that relations with Britain will be reviewed in light of the visa Britain demands. Denktash added:

    "The visa issue has to be settled and Sir David Hannay, British special envoy in Cyprus, must assume responsibility to this end.

    Sir David Hannay should eliminate this injustice if he seeks to assist in resolving the Cyprus issue."

    In his statement on Britain's demand for visas from Turkish Cypriots, Denktash said that the "government's" offices will review the relations with Britain. Explaining that he sees no reason to contact Sir Hannay on this issue, Denktash said:

    "The visa issue should be resolved. I briefed Gustave Feissel, UN Secretary General's assistant special envoy in Cyprus, on this issue today as well."

    Denktash alleged that Sir David Hannay has to assume responsibility to resolve this issue. He continued: "The British Government claims that it is losing money as a result of forgeries. It could have avoided this situation if it had cooperated with us. We asked the British Government to give us the names of the counterfeiters, but they refused. The requests for asylum would have not been valid if we were given their names."

    Denktash continued: "I was supposed to go to Britain to deliver a lecture in the middle of February. I, who claim that this visa demand is an injustice committed against my people, do not think that I should go to Britain after being granted special facilities. For this reason, I will ask the organizers of the conference to cancel this meeting."

    [02] Denktash asks Feissel for clarifications on UN document

    According to illegal Bayrak radio (16:30 hours, 20.1.98) Rauf Denktash yesterday met Gustave Feissel, UN Secretary General's assistant special envoy in Cyprus, and conferred with him for some time. Denktash called on Feissel to give information on press reports that the United Nations is preparing a document on Cyprus for the March meetings. Denktash added: "Feissel said that the report about his interview had surprised him and that he had asked for a correction."

    In his statement after the meeting, Denktash said: "I asked Feissel whether the United Nations is preparing a document for the March meetings and how come the United Nations continues to give the impression that nothing happened and that everything is the same. For his part, Feissel said that he had been surprised by the press report on his interview and that he had demanded a correction."

    [03] Eroglu on UK visa demand, participation in EU talks

    According to illegal Bayrak radio (11:30 hours, 19.1.98), so-called prime minister Dervis Eroglu has said that it is impossible to accept the conditions posited by the Cyprus Government for the participation of the Turkish Cypriot side in the EU accession talks. The conditions are recognition of the Cyprus republic and ending opposition to the EU.

    Eroglu and Serdar Denktash, "state minister and deputy prime minister", held their routine weekly meeting with Rauf Denktash last Monday. In a statement after the meeting, Eroglu said that among the topics they discussed was also the issue of the visa Britain demands from Turkish Cypriots. He expressed the hope that Britain will rectify this "mistake." He went on to say that the steps to be taken in the face of the visa decision - a great mistake, as he called it - will be assessed. "However", he claimed, "this decision also implies that the TRNC is being accepted as a separate state."

    Eroglu said that the Turkish Cypriot side is continuing to hold contacts in connection with the visa issue, but no results have been achieved yet.

    Eroglu read out the document on the official Greek Cypriot policy toward the EU membership process, a document released by the Spokesman Manolis Christofides. Eroglu noted that in the document, the Greek Cypriots stress that membership in the EU will increase the chances for a solution. He pointed out that according to the document, for the Turkish Cypriots to participate in the EU accession talks in the Cypriot team, they must recognize the Cyprus republic and end their opposition to the EU. According to the document, unless this is done, the Cypriot team will consist only of Greek Cypriots, but Turkish Cypriot parties and nongovernmental organizations will be able to take part in the process. Eroglu said that nobody must accept this invitation.

    He affirmed that the Cyprus government's views are incompatible with those of the Turkish Cypriot side, and therefore it is impossible to participate in the talks.

    Replying to a question, he said that if there is a demand for a visit to the Hala Sultan tomb in the free areas on the occasion of Bayram, the so- called government will assess that.

    [04] "Court" extends Kantarakis' "remand" another four days

    According to illegal Bayrak radio (11:30 hours, 20.1.98), the so-called military court in the occupied area has extended the "remand" of Georghios Konstandinou Kantarakis by another four days. Kantarakis, a Greek, was arrested when he accidentally crossed into the occupied areas.

    In addition, the "court" decided that Kantarakis serve the remainder of his detention period at the central prison. The "court" will review Kantarakis' case on 23 January.

    [05] Denktash hosts dinner for visiting Turkish Ambassadors

    According to illegal Bayrak radio (11:30 hours, 20.1.98), Turkish Cypriot leader Rauf Denktash claimed that a positive stage had been reached on the policies for a solution based on "two states", and that better stages can be achieved by furthering the relations with Turkey. Denktash hosted a dinner in honour of Turkish foreign ambassadors, who are continuing their contacts in the occupied area.

    Addressing the dinner, Denktash said that cooperation with Turkey could advance Turkish policies on the Cyprus issue.

    Stressing the importance of the visit of the Turkish ambassadors who will be serving in various world capitals in terms of getting a first hand view of the situation, Denktash said: "The present stage reached on the Cyprus issue is auspicious. This stage was achieved with great patience".

    [06] Armenian monastery to be restored and turned into a hotel

    KIBRIS (21.1.98) reports that the historical Armenian monastery in the occupied Kyrenia range near the village of Khartza, which has been ruined, plundered and sacrileged, will be restored and turned into a tourist hotel, at a cost of one million USD.

    KIBRIS adds that the so-called council of ministers of the pseudostate has decided to lease the monastery and its surroundings for 49 years to the so- called department of museums and antiquities. It reports that restoration work will be carried out under the full supervision of the so-called department of museums and antiquities and it will last for three years. Once completed, the place will be turned into a 50 bed capacity hotel.

    KIBRIS reports that in order to lease the monastery the so-called council of ministers has decided that the area will no longer be a forest area.

    The man who wants to lease and operate the site is architect/businessman, Dervis Sonmezler.

    (MY)


    From the Republic of Cyprus Press and Information Office (PIO) Server at http://www.pio.gov.cy/


    Cyprus Press and Information Office: Turkish Cypriot Press Review Directory - Previous Article - Next Article
    Back to Top
    Copyright 1995-2016 HR-Net (Hellenic Resources Network). An HRI Project.
    All Rights Reserved.

    HTML by the HR-Net Group / Hellenic Resources Institute, Inc.
    tcpr2html v1.00 run on Wednesday, 21 January 1998 - 12:36:27 UTC