|Friday, 15 November 2019|
Cyprus PIO: Turkish Cypriot and Turkish Media Review, 12-09-19
Cyprus Press and Information Office: Turkish Cypriot Press Review Directory - Previous Article - Next Article
From: The Republic of Cyprus Press and Information Office Server at <http://www.pio.gov.cy/>TURKISH CYPRIOT AND TURKISH MEDIA REVIEW No. 181/12 19.9.12
[A] TURKISH CYPRIOT / TURKISH PRESS
[A] TURKISH CYPRIOT / TURKISH PRESS
 TPAO to open second well in the occupied area of Cyprus- Turkey is seeking to develop a master energy plan to cover the island, says YildizTurkish daily Hurriyet Daily news (19.09.12) reports that the Turkish Petroleum Corporation (TPAO) will begin work on a second oil and natural gas drilling operation in the occupied area of Cyprus, which will, this time, be on land, Energy Minister Taner Y?ld?z said.
Y?ld?z held a press conference in Ankara after meeting with the self-styled minister of economy and energy Sunat Atun.
"We will commence our second drilling operation on land. This will be a complementary drilling. Afterwards, we will begin drilling in the sea," Y?ld?z said and added that TPAO's first drilling operation at the "Turkyurdu 1" well, has yet to yield any results so far. According to his statements, the well is currently 4,075 meters deep and there are signs that there could be petrol down below, but there have not been any concrete findings.
He also stressed that it was in TPAO's culture to be patient.
The Turkish minister stated that the occupied area of Cyprus rich in natural resources and that "Turkey was seeking to develop a master energy plan to cover the island".
Reporting on the same issue, Turkish Cypriot daily Kibris newspaper (19.09.12) notes that the Turkish Minister of Energy said that there are circumstantial evidence that there could be oil in the area that the explorations are taking place in the occupied Syngrasi village.
 Statements by Atun in Turkey; he discussed the "economic program" in a meeting in AnkaraAccording to illegal Bayrak television (18.09.12) the so-called minister of economy and energy Suna Atun held a series of contacts in the Turkish city of Corum.
Addressing the members of the Corum Chamber of Commerce and Industry, he stressed that "tourism and education sectors" in the "TRNC" are improving steadily and that the growth estimate in 2012 is 2.19%.
He also said that the "government" is aiming to reach in average of 2.7 % growth in the coming years.
Noting that Turkey has great contributions for the development of the "TRNC", Atun said "motherland" Turkey has considerable contributions especially in public investments.
As part of his contacts, Minister Atun visited the Corum Organized Industrial Area Directorate and received information about the area and carried out inspections in some factories.
So-called minister Atun was accompanied by the "TRNC Ambassador" to Ankara Mustafa Lakadamyal?.
Meanwhile, Turkish Cypriot daily Haberdar (19.09.12) reports in its front page that the "economic program for 2013-2015" of the occupation regime which was approved by the so-called council of minister, was discussed in details yesterday during a meeting which took place in Ankara.
According to the paper, the so-called minister of economy Atun, the so-called minister of transportation and communication, Ersan Saner and the so-called minister of tourism, Unal Ustel were participating to the meeting. Also, the Deputy Prime Minister, Responsible for Cyprus Affairs, Besir Atalay was also present at the meeting.
According to a statement issued by the so-called ministry of economy and energy, during the meeting an evaluation was made as regard the "protocol" which was prepared. Afterwards, Atun held a 45-minutes meeting with Besir Atalay.
In his statements after the meeting, Atun said that it is the first time that the "TRNC" is preparing its own program and added that they have the full support of Turkey as regards the economic program they prepared.
He further said that the technical committees will launch during the forthcoming week, their study on the "economic program".
Referring to his meeting with Atalay, Atun said that he replied to the questions of Atalay on the issues related to the "economic cooperation protocol" and the economy in general.
As regards their goals on the growth of the economy of the occupation regime, Atun said that their aim is for the rate of growth to reach to 2.9% in 2013, to 2.7% in 2014 and to 2.9% in 2015.
 Eroglu reiterated his well know positions that the breakaway regime consist a reality the world should acknowledgeTurkish Cypriot daily Kibris newspaper (19.09.12) reports that the Turkish Cypriot leader Dervis Eroglu alleged that the "TRNC" as he called the breakaway regime is no different than any other "state" of the world. He also alleged that the United Nations (UN) which are involved in the Cyprus problem for many years now, should show the same sensitivity towards the occupation regime, as in any other "state".
Eroglu made these statements during a meeting with the Turkish "Ataturkist Life Association".
He went on and added that is very natural for the Turkish Cypriots to want to have a state and alleged: "Whatever you accept it or not, there is a state here and under its roof there are people who are entitled of democratic institutions". He went on and claimed that the world is making decisions regarding human rights and justice but when it comes to the Turkish Cypriots they are victimised.
On its part the "Ataturkist Life Association" informed Eroglu about the works they have carried out towards the removal of the sport "embargoes" and expressed their views regarding the Cyprus negotiations
 Downer is meeting with Ertug todayTurkish Cypriot daily Kibris newspaper (19.09.12) reports that UN Secretary-General's Special Adviser for Cyprus, Alexander Downer is coming to Cyprus today and he will first hold separate meetings with the special representatives of the two Cypriot leaders.
According to the paper, Downer will meet today with Osman Ertug, Eroglu's special representative. Downer will meet with Dervis Eroglu on September 20.
 Turkish Cypriot Chamber of Commerce met with the German Ambassador to LefkosiaTurkish Cypriot daily Star Kibris newspaper (19.09.12) reports that the Turkish Cypriot Chamber of Commerce (KTTO) held a meeting with the German Ambassador to Lefkosia, Gabriella Guellil.
According to a statement issued by the chairman of KTTO, Gunay Cerkez, who noted that Germany is one of the most important members of the European Union, the promises given to the Turkish Cypriots were not kept and reminded that the Turkish Cypriot side said "yes" to the Annan Plan.
 The occupation regime was represented in an international meeting in KazakhstanUnder the front-page title: "The TRNC at the UNESCO National Commission meeting", Turkish Cypriot daily Vatan (19.09.12) reports that the so-called ministry of tourism, environment and culture, has participated to the UNESCO National Commission Minister's meeting which took place in Astana, Kazakhstan between September 13-14.
According to a statement issued by the "ministry", the member countries of the International Organization of Turkic Culture (TURKSOY) organized the meeting.
The occupation regime was represented to the meeting by the "Department of Culture" which is bound to the "ministry of tourism, environment and culture".
 "Academy Cyprus Development Platform" represented the occupation regime to EMU meeting in the NetherlandsUnder the title: "Academy Cyprus in Rotterdam", Turkish Cypriot daily Haberdar (19.09.12) reports that the "Academy Cyprus Development Platform", which is an NGO in occupied Cyprus, participated to the meeting of the European Muslims Union (EMU) which took place in Rotterdam, the Netherlands in September 14-17.
In statements on the issue, the "spokesman" of the "Academy Cyprus Development Platform" Mehmet Kaysi has said that this year's meeting of the EMU which is based in France, has taken place in Rotterdam Islamic University with the participation of representatives from 28 countries around Europe, the Balkans and Middle East.
Kaysi said that they held very fruitful and productive contacts during representing the occupation regime to the meeting and added that they also had the opportunity to promote their "flag" to the "Netherlands".
Also speaking, the general-coordinator of the "platform", Adem Koc said that they will do the necessary so that next year's meeting of EMU to take place in the occupied area of Cyprus.
 Rocket attack killed ten soldiers in Turkey; PKK sets 18 vehicles on fire in eastern TurkeyAccording to Turkish daily Hurriyet Daily News (19.09.12) at least 10 Turkish soldiers were killed and some 70 were injured yesterday after a Turkish military convoy transporting unarmed soldiers returning from leave to their posts was hit by a rocket before coming under fire in an ambush conducted by suspected militants of the Kurdistan Workers' Party (PKK) in the eastern province of Bingol.
More than 200 soldiers returning from leave were being transported to their respective military units by a convoy of five buses, with 10 armoured vehicles escorting the transports. The soldiers were unarmed and in civilian clothing, Bingol Governor Mustafa Hakan Guvencer said, speaking to private broadcaster CNNTurk after the attack.
The attack came one day after Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan said that the military operations would stop if the PKK laid down its arms. The terrorists should know that if they drop their arms, then the operations in the country will end. But arms cannot be silenced as long as the terrorists do not drop their arms. They would target innocent people at every opportunity [if the operations were to cease]," the Prime Minister said, speaking at an event in the Aegean province of Denizli.
Erdogan was to meet with Chief of Staff Gen. Necdet Ozel later yesterday.
Meanwhile, Turkish daily Today's Zaman (18.09.12) reported that members of the Kurdistan Workers' Party (PKK) set 18 vehicles on fire in eastern province of Agr? and Bitlis on Tuesday to sabotage the commercial activity in the region.
A group of PKK militants stormed a construction site in Agr?'s Dogubayaz?t district and set 11 vehicles ablaze, district governor Nurettin Dayan said. He added that security forces have launched an operation in the area.
In a separate incident, the PKK members stormed another construction site in Tatvan district of Bitlis and set seven vehicles on fire. Dozens of fire fighters were dispatched to the area to extinguish the fire.
Security forces have launched a large-scale military operation in the area to capture the the PKK members.
 Erdogan discussed the issue of Syria with Obama over the phoneAnkara Anatolia news agency (18.09.12) reported from Ankara that Erdogan's press office said in a statement that the Turkish Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan spoke on Tuesday to the US President Barack Obama over the phone.
The statement said both leaders shared similar concerns about the ongoing regime violence on civilians in Syria, the deepening nature of the humanitarian crisis and the urgent need for political transition in the country.
The statement said Erdogan and Obama had underlined that the Turkish and the US governments would continue to work together in their close and active cooperation over the Syria crisis.
The statement said further that Obama had expressed condolences over death of Turkish civilians and military personnel in recent terrorist attacks in Turkey.
The statement also said Obama had expressed gratitude for Erdogan's call for restraint and avoidance of violence regarding an attack on US Consulate in Benghazi, Libya, and others which targeted US diplomatic missions in other countries.
 US army chief held contacts in Turkey; he discussed the issue of Syria with his Turkish counterpartTurkish daily Today's Zaman (18.09.12) reported that the chairman of the US Joint Chiefs of Staff Martin E. Dempsey has said Turkey and the US agreed to work together on the Syrian crisis and other pressing regional issues.
"US and Turkish leaders have a similar view of events in Syria and [they] agreed to work together on that and other regional issues," Pentagon's press office quoted Dempsey as saying aboard his plane during his flight back to Washington from Ankara.
Dempsey met with his Turkish counterpart Necdet Ozel, Defense Minister Ismet Y?lmaz, and officials at the Turkish Foreign Ministry during his stay in Ankara.
"We shared our views and common interests we are both trying to address in the region. We agreed to recommit ourselves to collaborate on the regional issues ? not just issues unique to either Turkey or the United States," Dempsey said.
Dempsey added that Turkish officials also expressed concern about "the prolonged nature of the conflict. He said Ankara believes the longer the fighting lasts in Syria, the greater the chances of sectarian division.
Dempsey noted that the Turkish officials brought up the issue of humanitarian efforts as well, adding that Turkey was also "concerned about the continuing influx of refugees and [the Turkish officials] are reaching out to the international community to assist them in that regard."
Dempsey said Turkish leaders had not asked for any US military assistance for the refugees, adding that the US was committed "to continue to monitor the situation, and we will continue to engage at all levels in order to think through some of the contingencies that might occur with regard to the humanitarian issue." EI/