|Thursday, 21 February 2019|
Cyprus PIO: Turkish Cypriot and Turkish Media Review, 15-12-29
Cyprus Press and Information Office: Turkish Cypriot Press Review Directory - Previous Article - Next Article
From: The Republic of Cyprus Press and Information Office Server at <http://www.pio.gov.cy/>TURKISH CYPRIOT AND TURKISH MEDIA REVIEW No. 247/15 29.12.2015
[A] TURKISH CYPRIOT / TURKISH PRESS
[A] TURKISH CYPRIOT / TURKISH PRESS
 Turkish Forestry and Water Affairs Ministry says they have agreed with the regime's "officials" on the water administrationTurkish Cypriot daily Kibris newspaper (29.12.15) reports that Turkey's Forestry and Water Affairs' Ministry, has announced that a delegation from the Ministry composed of its Deputy Undersecretary and the general director of the State Water Affairs' Department (DSI) had visited the occupied area of Cyprus on 24 December 2015 and met with the regime's self-styled finance minister and another delegation.
In a written statement issued by the Ministry yesterday, it is noted that during the visit they agreed that the water transferred from Turkey to the occupied area of Cyprus with undersea pipelines will be operated through the Build-Operate-Transfer (BOT) model and will be administrated by DSI for a transitional period. It was recalled that the issue had been also discussed on 1 December 2015 during Prime Minister Ahmet Davutoglu's illegal visit to the island together with Deputy Prime Minister, Tugrul Turkes and Forestry and Water Affairs' Minister Veysel Eroglu.
The Ministry said that water is still being transferred to the dam in occupied Panagra village area and denied allegations published in the press that the water is thrown into the sea. According to the statement, this water feeds the underground water resources and in case "the TRNC side decides, the water could immediately be given to Nicosia".
The statement further recalled that according to the "framework agreement" signed between Turkey and the breakaway regime on 19 July 2010, the water from Turkey will be stored in Panagra dam and the remaining installations, such as treatment facilities, elevation centers, water tanks and distribution networks, will be built by the breakaway regime.
It argues that because the regime delayed in building these installations, upon Eroglu's suggestion and the then Prime Minister Erdogan's instructions, the DSI has invited tenders and completed two elevation centers, a treatment facility for drinking water, water tanks and 477-kilometer long distribution pipelines.
The Ministry said: "During the opening of the project on 17 October 2015 by our esteemed President of the Republic, the operation of the water was discussed, the issue of renovating the drinking water infrastructure within the cities came onto the agenda because of inadequate infrastructure and a suggestion was submitted by our Minister esteemed Veysel Eroglu that the infrastructure investments and the operation could be conducted by DSI for a certain period. A high level delegation from the TRNC administration said that it would have visited Turkey the following week for discussing the issue, but this did not happen [?]"
 Talat: "The crisis occurred on the water administration could be transformed to any other crisis"Under the front-page title: "Warning crisis", Turkish Cypriot daily Yeni Duzen newspaper (29.12.15) reports that the chairman of the Republican Turkish Party-United Forces (CTP-BG) Mehmet Ali Talat, in statements to Kanal Sim television channel in the occupied area of Cyprus, referred, inter alia, to the crisis occurred regarding the issue of the administration of water transferred from Turkey and said that they disagree with Turkey regarding the water administration.
Stating that the crisis occurred on this issue could be transformed to any other crisis, he added: "If this government falls off, then we don't know if we will be able to form another one in this setting. (?) I don't know how much we can afford to this pressure [referring to the economic difficulties] and how much we can resist to this with our government partners", Talat said.
He further added that the real risk they confront is the possibility of the non-signing of the economic protocol with Turkey and subsequently the risk of not being able to pay the 13rd salary.
Stating that there is not any scheduled visit by the so-called prime minister Omer Kalyoncu to Ankara yet, Talat said that the "premier" would go to Ankara only if an agreement is reached on the issue of the water and the economic protocol.
 Kalyoncu: We will face problems unless an "economic protocol" with Turkey is signed; Disagreements on the water administrationTurkish Cypriot daily Kibris newspaper (29.12.15) reports that Omer Kalyoncu, self-styled prime minister of the breakaway regime in the occupied area of Cyprus, has said that they thought that they were at the same point with their "coalition partner", the National Unity Party (UBP), when they were signing their "coalition protocol", but afterwards they saw that things are not like that and now they are trying to overcome the problem.
Addressing the self-styled assembly of the regime yesterday, Kalyoncu argued that there was a misunderstanding, that they decided together to form a "coalition" and they will take all the other decisions together.
Noting that the discussions on signing a "financial protocol" with Turkey are continuing, Kalyoncu said: "We are referring to a TRNC people and state which are hostages of the status quo. If we do not sign an economic protocol with Turkey once every three years, we will experience economic problems. The Turkish Cypriots are not the only ones who created this".
Expressing the view that they should get out of this status, Kalyoncu said that they are "outside the world" and with an agreement [in the Cyprus problem], they will join the world. He said that the issue of the territory has not been discussed yet in the Cyprus negotiations and therefore, the concessions to be given are not known.
Referring to the discussions for signing an "economic protocol" with Turkey [for the period 2016-2018], Kalyoncu said that the "protocol' is ready to a great extent and added that the farmers will be paid when the 13th salary is paid.
Replying to Kalyoncu, UBP "deputy" Nazim Cavusoglu described the above statements as "threats". "We cannot accept the prime minister's approach which is like a threat. This does not coincide with the partnership understanding. We will decide together both on the matter of the people and water issue", he said.
 Reactions to the water administration crisisTurkish Cypriot daily Kibris Postasi newspaper (29.12.15) reports that the Social Democracy Party (TDP) has expressed its support to the Republican Turkish Party's (CTP) stance on the issue of the administration of the water from Turkey by a "water board" and a company named BESKI, established by the "municipalities".
The chairman of the party, Cemal Ozyigit, however, wondered whether what had been rejected by the CTP' committee was Turkey's proposal or an interim formula suggested by the CTP's "ministers". Describing CTP''s decision as "appropriate", Ozyigit said that if the CTP thinks like the TDP and supports the establishment of a water board which together with BESKI will administrate, distribute and control the water and shows a determined stance for this, the TDP will stand by the CTP's side.
The general secretary of the Cyprus Socialist Party (KSP), Mehmet Birinci said that they do not think that the CTP is sincere and added that the Turkish Cypriots are not free and independent. "As long as we are not sovereign, as long as we are not taking the decisions here alone, all these are only for the show", he noted.
The member of the New Cyprus Party's (YKP) executive council, Murat Kanatli described the situation as "performing a Karagoz show [Translator's note: A traditional shadow show]". He said that if the CTP was sincere, it should have taken steps for strengthening the "water board" and BESKI.
Finally, according to Turkish Cypriot daily Afrika newspaper (29.12.15), Sener Elcil, general secretary of the Turkish Cypriot Primary School Teachers' Trade Union (KTOS), said that the water project is not for the benefit of the Turkish Cypriot community, but promotes the interests of companies which support the Justice and Development Party (AKP).
"Turkey is threatening the government with its contribution to the budget which is not enough for even its own population", noted Elcil in a written statement referring to the illegal Turkish settlers in the occupied area of the island. This "exploitation policy" based on the mentality that "those who give the money give the orders as well" shows that Turkey does not value the people living in Cyprus, but only the island's territory, he argued.
 Columnist: Ankara's stance forced me to say "take your water and walk away"Writing in his column in Turkish Cypriot daily Kibris Postasi newspaper (29.12.15), columnist Levent Ozadam criticizes Turkey's stance on the issue of the administration of the water transferred to the occupied area with undersea pipelines and the statement issued yesterday by the Turkish Ministry of Forestry and Water Affairs.
Noting that it is not "appropriate behavior" for Ankara to cut the financial aid by which the 13th salaries and the farmers would be paid, Ozadam refers to a "conspiracy theory" that crossed his mind. He says, inter alia, the following:
"[?] Remember the 2004 Annan Plan process. A banking crisis came up and a raid was conducted into the assembly. Now we have a new referendum before us. It is possible to be submitted before us in the first six months of 2016! And the citizens started making up conspiracy theories. They wonder whether all these incidents are happening for making people's life miserable and bring them to the point of uprising and vote yes! What kind of a statement was that! Turkey's Ministry of Forestry and Water Affairs issued a statement yesterday. 'Let the TRNC say yes and the water will flow to Nicosia', it says! That is, it is a covered up threat. It is a shame, it is a sin. You should give this water to get Nicosia, Famagusta drowned in the water instead of letting it flow into the sea. [?] What kind of mentality is this! Even I came to the point of saying 'take your water and walk away' now?"
 Asim Idris the new general secretary of TDPTurkish daily Haberal Kibrisli (29.12.15) reports that the central committee of the Social Democracy Party (TDP) convened yesterday and elected its members.
According to the paper, Asim Idris, former organization secretary of the party and former "minister of education and sports" has been elected as general secretary of the TDP.
 Sertoglu on the process with CFATurkish Cypriot daily Kibris newspaper (29.12.15) reports on statements by Hasan Sertoglu, "chairman" of the so-called Turkish Cypriot football federation ("KTFF") who evaluated to the paper several issues including the process with the Cyprus Football Association (CFA or KOP).
Referring to the progress achieved in the process with CFA, Sertoglu said that the most important problem in the process is the difficulties that the chairman of CFA, Mr. Koutsokoumnis experiences with the Church and the Greek Cypriot political party leaders who put negative pressure on him.
Sertoglu expressed the belief that if the process with CFA was depended only on Koutsokoumnis, then positive steps would be taken by so far. "In spite of the fact that the people in the north support the process, the pressure exerted in the south by the Church and some Greek Cypriot politicians torpedoed the process and left it in stagnancy.
Stating that he does not expect for the process with CFA to be intensified until next February where the election of the President of FIFA will take place, Sertoglu recalled that both leaders in the island are aware of the process.
 Probe opened for HDP co-chair Demirtas over his "autonomy remarks"; Reaction statements by Davutoglu and other opposition party officialsTurkish daily Sabah (28.12.15) reported that the Ankara Public Prosecutor's Office launched on Monday an investigation into the Peoples' Democratic Party (HDP) co-chair Selahattin Demirtas over 'autonomy' comments.
Demirtas, speaking to an umbrella group called the Democratic Society Congress (DTK) in the southeastern province of Diyarbakir on Sunday, said that his party would support calls for regional autonomy in the southeast.
On Sunday, the Democratic Society Congress adopted a 14-article declaration, emphasizing the necessity of creation of autonomous regions in Turkey, mainly inhabited by Kurds.
Demirtas announced his support for the declaration saying: "Hopefully, our addresses will once again read and listen to this declaration calmly, and see that in fact regional autonomy offers a very important opportunity for everyone in terms of living together."
Moreover, Demirtas defended the PKK organization's efforts to set up trenches and barricades in southeastern cities.
Earlier this week, Diyarbakir's chief public prosecutor launched a legal probe into similar remarks made earlier by the HDP leader.
Prime Minister Ahmet Davutoglu criticized Demirtas on Monday after his 'autonomy' comments.
Speaking before flying to Belgrade for an official visit to Serbia, Davutoglu said: "I will never talk with anyone who brings Turkey's unity and integrity to the table".
Davutoglu said that he will meet with everyone to establish Turkey's future peacefully except those who are against the country's unity.
The Premier also said that HDP voters should be aware that it is not "a truthful political party," claiming that its "disguised intentions" have been revealed.
The opposition parties Republican People's Party (CHP) and Nationalist Movement Party (MHP) have also lashed out at the HDP for demanding autonomous regions in Turkey's southeast region.
Reacting to this call, CHP Vice Chairman Mehmet Bekaroglu said on Monday that his party does not approve of Demirtas's statements, finding them odd. "It is very important that HDP is represented in the parliament. For the solution of the problem, HDP and Demirtas need to support the parliament base, peaceful ways, and democratic methods", Bekaroglu said.
MHP Secretary General Ismet Buyukataman said on Monday that his party too disapproved Demirtas' 'autonomy' comments.
In an exclusive interview with Anadolu Agency, Buyukataman said: "The political representatives of the terrorist organization [HDP] are being impudent".
He claimed that the recent situation showed that the HDP could never be "Turkey's party", a title which the party declared as its motto and vision during the last two parliamentary elections.
"They can neither understand being Turkey's party nor living brotherly together with our 78 million citizens nor the sensitivity of the nation on the country's indivisible integrity," he said.
He alleged that HDP officials had become so reckless that they now question the unitary structure of the Turkish state and the description of a Turkish citizenship, adding they were being careless in talking about "democratic autonomy".
He also expressed his party's support for future legal steps by the government to eradicate terror. "As MHP, we will support if there will be a sincere legal regulation," he said.
Also, MHP group acting chairman Oktay Vural, speaking in a press conference at the parliament that HDP had dared to change the state's unitary structure with its 14-item communique.
"They obviously declared [their bid for] Kurdistan, a separate state and division. We will never allow a shanty to be built within the Republic of Turkey," Vural said.
"Our nation will also react to the dreamers of Kurdistan under the name of self-governance, autonomy and initiative," he added.
 HDP filed a complaint with ECtHR against Turkey over curfewsAccording to Turkish daily Today's Zaman (28.12.15), the pro-Kurdish Peoples' Democratic Party (HDP) has filed a complaint at the European Court of Human Rights (ECtHR) against Turkey over frequent days-long curfews that the Turkish government has enforced in southeastern towns since late July.
The petition was filed by HDP Deputy co-chair Meral Danis Bestas, who said in her complaint that the curfews being imposed in southeastern Turkey have no legal basis.
Bektas said that the curfews are only possible during an Emergency Rule Region (OHAL) period or martial law. "To do this [to be able to impose a curfew], the Cabinet must declare a curfew as the Turkish Constitution clearly states. Without this, the local governor's decision for the declaration of curfews is both against Article 19 of the Constitution and Article 5 of the European Convention on Human Rights [ECHR]. We are now witnessing the fact that Turkey does not fulfill its requirements as a state with the rule of law," Bektas wrote in the complaint.
 Kalin: "Progress in talks with Israel for compensation"Turkish daily Hurriyet Daily News (28.12.15) reported that the Presidential spokesperson Ibrahim Kalin has said that progress was made with Israel on the issue of compensation for Mavi Marmara victims, adding that Turkey had not changed its three conditions for normalization of ties between the two countries.
"There has been progress made about the second condition, the one with compensation, but we have not reached a point where we can ink it," Kalin told reporters on December 28 at a press conference.
Kalin reiterated that three conditions must be met by Israel for the normalization of relations between the two countries and that Turkey will not take a step back regarding the Palestinian cause.
He said that Israel has met the first condition by apologizing to Turkey, and added that two more demands were still on the table: compensation for Mavi Marmara victims and the "lift or bend" of an embargo implemented by Israel on Gaza Strip.
"There is also the third condition. Lifting or easing the blockade on Gaza, namely to send humanitarian aid going to Gaza," said Kalin.
"Turkey will continue to play its role until a two-state solution is reached, and the Palestinian people have their own state. There cannot be permanent peace in the region until the Palestinian problem is solved," Kalin added.
 17-year-old arrested in Turkey for 'insulting Erdogan'Turkish daily Hurriyet Daily News (28.12.15) reported that a 17-year-old construction worker in the Thracian province of Tekirdag was arrested on December 28 for "insulting" President Recep Tayyip Erdogan on social media.
Police was informed of a boy identified only by the initials F.E. who "insulted Erdogan" in a post he shared on his Facebook account. F.E. was detained at his home in the Corlu district following a police investigation into the post.
A local court ruled for the arrest of F.E. on the grounds of "insulting Erdogan" and he was transferred to Tekirdag closed prison.
Reports have said the investigation into the incident is ongoing.
Since Erdogan was elected as President last August, his lawyers have filed dozens of cases against alleged "insults" targeting him. TURKISH AFFAIRS SECTION
(AK / AM)