Read the UN Convention on the Rights of the Child (20 November 1989) A)? GHT="50">
Compact version
Today's Suggestion
Read The "Macedonian Question" (by Maria Nystazopoulou-Pelekidou)
HomeAbout HR-NetNewsWeb SitesDocumentsOnline HelpUsage InformationContact us
Friday, 15 November 2019
 
News
  Latest News (All)
     From Greece
     From Cyprus
     From Europe
     From Balkans
     From Turkey
     From USA
  Announcements
  World Press
  News Archives
Web Sites
  Hosted
  Mirrored
  Interesting Nodes
Documents
  Special Topics
  Treaties, Conventions
  Constitutions
  U.S. Agencies
  Cyprus Problem
  Other
Services
  Personal NewsPaper
  Greek Fonts
  Tools
  F.A.Q.
 

Cyprus PIO: Turkish Cypriot and Turkish Media Review, 19-10-18

Cyprus Press and Information Office: Turkish Cypriot Press Review Directory - Previous Article - Next Article

From: The Republic of Cyprus Press and Information Office Server at <http://www.pio.gov.cy/>

Turkish Cypriot and Turkish Media Review-18.10.19 Content

[A] Turkish Cypriot Press

  • [01] "A dossier with those who sent death threats to Akinci was submitted yesterday to the police and the general attorney"
  • [02] Occupation regime protests for Greek F16's flights ? Statements by Ozersay and Tatar
  • [03] Statements by Ozersay and Erhurman on the Syria agreement between the US and Turkey
  • [04] Toros expresses satisfaction over the EP's decision on the Direct Trade Regulation
  • [B] Turkish Press

  • [01] "Turkish operation in Syria to be paused for YPG's withdrawal from safe zone"
  • [02] Turkish president replies to Trump's tweet
  • [03] Cavusoglu: "Pause of Turkey's operation in Syria not cease-fire"
  • [04] Russia promised to keep YPG terrorists away from Turkey-Syria border, ?avusoglu says

  • [A] Turkish Cypriot Press

    [01] "A dossier with those who sent death threats to Akinci was submitted yesterday to the police and the general attorney"

    Under the title "Death threats were filed to the attorney general and the chief of police", Turkish Cypriot daily newspaper Haberator (18.10.19), on its front page, reports: "A dossier related with the insults, death threats and strong language, which were posted and shared on social media against president Mustafa Akinci and his family was submitted on Thursday by the presidential officials to the chief of police and attorney general". The dossier includes details regarding the persons who posted threats and insults against Turkish Cypriot leader Mustafa Akinci.

    In the letter, which was conveyed to both "institutions", it was asked that the "necessary measures against those who have sent death threats against Akinci and his family members".

    According to a press release by the "presidency", the "chief of police" Suleyman Manavoglu said that they had already launched their own investigation regarding the death threats and insults directed to Akinci and would complete it the soonest possible adding also in the investigation the submitted dossier. Self-styled attorney general Behic Ozturk also stated that "his office will work on the case with high sensitivity".

    It was also reported that a copy of the file was also sent to the "embassy of Turkey" in the occupied part of Nicosia. The paper further reports that it was observed that among those people, who are active account users in Turkey, are also "TRNC citizens".

    Meanwhile, Turkish Cypriot daily newspaper Haberci (18.10.19) reports that Akinci, in a post on his social media account yesterday, wrote: "Freedom of expression will continue to be one of our fundamental principles on which we will never make any concessions". He further wrote that responding to threats in a similar way would never be an option.

    He concluded by thanking everyone who supported him and showned solidarity from the very beginning.

    (DPs)

    [02] Occupation regime protests for Greek F16's flights ? Statements by Ozersay and Tatar

    Turkish Cypriot newspaper Havadis(18.10.19) reports that Kudret Ozersay, self-styled foreign minister of the breakaway regime in the occupied area of the Republic of Cyprus, has alleged that three Greek F16 jets had violated yesterday what he called as the "TRNC's airspace". In a post on his social media account, Ozersay referred to the participation of Greek F16 jets in a joint maneuver with the National Guard of the Republic of Cyprus and noted that the regime had taken the necessary measures, including protests against this "provocative act". According to Ozersay, three Greek F16s flew over occupied Louroudjina village. "Everybody should know that this kind of approaches will put the stability in the area in danger and should behave responsibly", he alleged.

    Turkish Cypriot newspaper Halkin Sesi (18.10.19) refers to the issue under the title "Greek provocation in Louroudjina" and reports that the regime's "foreign ministry" had taken the necessary action before the UN. The paper notes also that Ersin Tatar, self-styled prime minister of the breakaway regime in the occupied area of the Republic of Cyprus, alleged that the intention of what he called "the Greek Cypriots-Greeks duo" was not to reach an agreement with the Turkish side. Claiming that the Greek jets "violated" the "airspace of the TRNC", Tatar argued:

    "[?] They think that they will scare us. This is not possible. Let our people be at ease. Our motherland Turkey will continue providing our security in a marvelous manner today and tomorrow as it did yesterday. Let the Greek Cypriot-Greek duo continue their provocations for as long as they want. The Turks of Cyprus will never abandon their sovereign equality, the lands of their country, Turkey's effective and active guarantees, their rights in the Eastern Mediterranean and their determination to open Varosha".

    (I/Ts.)

    [03] Statements by Ozersay and Erhurman on the Syria agreement between the US and Turkey

    Turkish Cypriot newspaper Yeni D?zen(18.10.19) reports that Kudret Ozersay, self-styled foreign minister of the breakaway regime in the occupied area of the Republic of Cyprus, and Tufan Erhurman, chairman of the Republican Turkish Party (CTP), commented on the agreement reached yesterday in Ankara between the US and Turkey regarding Syria.

    Ozersay argued that Turkey's decisive stance gave results. In a post on his social media account, he claimed that peace in the area "was achieved with a dissuasive stance" and added that they should follow up the issue so that the given promises are kept.

    Erhurman said that the decision for interrupting the military operation was very pleasing. In a post on his social media account, he wished for lasting peace and stability to come the soonest possible in the area.

    (I/Ts.)

    [04] Toros expresses satisfaction over the EP's decision on the Direct Trade Regulation

    Turkish Cypriot daily Kibris Postasi (18.10.19) under the title: "The Greek Cypriots did not achieve to remove from the European Parliament's agenda the Direct Trade Regulation", reports that the leaders' council of the European Parliament has decided unanimously for the Direct Trade Regulation to remain in the agenda of the European Parliament, despite the intensive efforts exerted by the Greek Cypriots for this to be removed from the EP's agenda.

    In statements on his social media account, Fikri Toros, "deputy" with the Republican Turkish Party (CTP) expressed satisfaction over the decision taken, saying that the leaders' council of the EP has decided on October 16, 2019 for the Direct Trade Regulation, allowing the direct trade between the Turkish Cypriots and several EU countries, to remain in the agenda.

    Describing this decision as an important development, Toros stated that their main goal is "the lifting of the unfair restrictions imposed on the Turkish Cypriot community and the implementation of the Regulation which would contribute to the economic development of the Turkish Cypriot community in order to be able to reach EU standards".

    "We will continue and increase our strategic efforts directed towards this issue. We should act collectively and move forward with joint actions together with the organizations of the business world", Toros said, expressing his special thanks to the EU's Commission, all the officials of the political groups in the European Parliament, the "representation of the TRNC" in Brussels and the Turkish Cypriot Chamber of Commerce in Brussels, for their contribution and support on this issue.

    (AK)


    [B] Turkish Press

    [01] "Turkish operation in Syria to be paused for YPG's withdrawal from safe zone"

    Turkish daily Yeni Safak (18.10.19 https://www.yenisafak.com/en/news/turkish-op-in-syria-to-be-paused-for-ypgs-withdrawal-from-safe-zone-3503179) reports that Turkey will pause its anti-terror operation in northern Syria to allow the withdrawal of YPG from the planned safe zone, said a joint Turkish-U.S. statement on Thursday.

    "The safe zone will be primarily enforced by the Turkish Armed Forces and the two sides will increase their cooperation in all dimensions of its implementation," said the statement.

    "The Turkish side will pause Operation Peace Spring in order to allow the withdrawal of YPG from the safe zone within 120 hours. Operation Peace Spring will be halted upon completion of this withdrawal," it stressed.

    Turkey and the U.S. also agreed that the conditions on the ground, northeast Syria in particular, necessitate closer coordination on the basis of common interests.

    "The two sides agreed on the continued importance and functionality of a safe zone in order to address the national security concerns of Turkey, to include the re-collection of YPG heavy weapons and the disablement of their fortifications and all other fighting positions," it added.

    The statement also highlighted that "when the Operation Peace Spring -- Turkey's anti-terror operation in northern Syria -- is halted, the U.S. current sanctions will be lifted".

    Reporting on the same issue, Ankara Anatolia news agency (18.10.19 https://www.aa.com.tr/en/operation-peace-spring/turkey-us-agree-over-pausing-op-in-syria/1617659) reports that the "Turkish side will pause Operation Peace Spring in order to allow for the withdrawal of YPG forces from the safe-zone for 120 hours," U.S. Vice President Mike Pence said at a news conference at the U.S. Embassy to Turkey in Ankara.

    "All military operations under Operation Peace Spring will be paused and Operation Peace Spring will be halted entirely on condition of withdrawal," Pence added.

    He also said that withdrawal of YPG/PKK terrorists from the safe zone has already begun which led to pausing of Turkey's military operation.

    Pence said that Turkey and the U.S. also agreed to eliminate Daesh completely in Syria's northeast, adding: "This will also include an agreement to coordinate efforts on detention facilities and internally displaced persons in formerly ISIS-controlled [DAESH] areas".

    Pence underscored that the U.S. agreed to withdraw the existing sanctions "once a permanent cease-fire is reached".

    Pence added that Turkey and the U.S. agreed on "the priority of respecting vulnerable human life, human rights and particularly the protection of religious and ethnic communities in the region".

    [02] Turkish president replies to Trump's tweet

    Ankara Anatolia news agency (18.10.19 https://www.aa.com.tr/en/americas/turkish-president-replies-trumps-tweet/1617880) reports that Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan replied to a tweet of his U.S. counterpart Donald Trump on Thursday.

    "Mr. President, many more lives will be saved when we defeat terrorism, which is humanity's arch enemy. I am confident that this joint effort will promote peace and stability in our region," Erdogan tweeted.

    Erdogan's remarks came shortly after Ankara agreed with Washington to pause Operation Peace Spring for five days so that YPG/PKK could leave the region.

    Trump has said in a tweet, "Great news out of Turkey. News Conference shortly with @VP and @SecPompeo. Thank you to @RTErdogan. Millions of lives will be saved!"

    [03] Cavusoglu: "Pause of Turkey's operation in Syria not cease-fire"

    Ankara Anatolia news agency (18.10.19 https://www.aa.com.tr/en/operation-peace-spring/pause-of-turkeys-op-in-syria-not-cease-fire/1617712) reports that the pause in Turkey's anti-terror operation in Syria is not a ceasefire, Turkey's Foreign Minister said Thursday.

    "Turkey will end the operation in northern Syria only after YPG/PKK terrorists leave [the safe zone]," Mevlut Cavusoglu said at a news conference. Cavusoglu said Turkey will pause the operation for the YPG/PKK's withdrawal within five days while stressing that this is not a ceasefire, as this can only happen between two legitimate sides.

    "When we pause the operation, the U.S. will stop the sanctions attempts, and we can only end the operation after the previous conditions have been met," he said, adding when the YPG withdraws from the region, then the operation will end.

    Referring to article nine of the joint Turkish-U.S. statement, he said the two sides also agreed on the collection of the YPG's heavy weapons and the disablement of their fortifications and all other fighting positions.

    Turkey and the U.S. "agreed on collecting the heavy weapons of the YPG, destroying their positions and fortifications," Cavusoglu added.

    Referring to today's negotiations with the U.S., he said Turkey got what it wanted as a result of the strong leadership of President Recep Tayyip Erdogan.

    "The U.S. side, as part of protection of Turkey's legitimate security interests, acknowledged the importance and functionality of the safe zone," Cavusoglu said, stressing that "it is fully agreed that the safe zone will be under the control of the Turkish Armed Forces, meaning that the U.S. accepted the aims and legitimacy of Turkey's anti-terror operation in northeast Syria".

    Referring to Turkey's fight against Daesh, in which Turkey has "neutralized" over 4,000 Daesh terrorists in Iraq and Syria so far, he said Turkey and the U.S. committed to continue fighting against the terror group in northeast Syria.

    [04] Russia promised to keep YPG terrorists away from Turkey-Syria border, ?avusoglu says

    Turkish daily Sabah (18.10.19 https://www.dailysabah.com/diplomacy/2019/10/17/russia-promised-to-keep-ypg-terrorists-away-from-turkey-syria-border-cavusoglusays) reports that "Moscow has promised Ankara that People's Protection Units (YPG) terrorists will not be in the Syrian territories across the border as Bashar Assad's forces move north", Foreign Minister Mevl?t ?avusoglu said Thursday.

    Russia "promised that the PKK or YPG will not be on the other side of the border," ?avusoglu said in an interview with the BBC. "If Russia, accompanied by the Syrian army, removes YPG elements from the region, we will not oppose this."

    Meanwhile, Presidential Spokesperson Ibrahim Kalin held talks Thursday with a Russian delegation led by Alexander Lavrentyev, Moscow's envoy for Syria. The talks focused on Turkey's Operation Peace Spring as well as the latest situation in Idlib and Manbij. The parties agreed to continue their cooperation in order to tackle the threat to Syria's territorial integrity poised by terrorist groups.

    TURKISH AFFAIRS SECTION

    (CS/ EH)


    Cyprus Press and Information Office: Turkish Cypriot Press Review Directory - Previous Article - Next Article

    Back to Top
    Copyright 1995-2016 HR-Net (Hellenic Resources Network). An HRI Project.
    All Rights Reserved.

    HTML by the HR-Net Group / Hellenic Resources Institute, Inc.
    tcpr2html v1.01 run on Saturday, 19 October 2019 - 8:22:00 UTC