HR-Net - Hellenic Resources Network Compact version
Today's Suggestion
Visit our Treaty, Convention & International Organization Document Archive
HomeAbout HR-NetNewsWeb SitesDocumentsOnline HelpUsage InformationContact us
Thursday, 19 October 2017
 
News
  Latest News (All)
     From Greece
     From Cyprus
     From Europe
     From Balkans
     From Turkey
     From USA
  Announcements
  World Press
  News Archives
Web Sites
  Hosted
  Mirrored
  Interesting Nodes
Documents
  Special Topics
  Treaties, Conventions
  Constitutions
  U.S. Agencies
  Cyprus Problem
  Other
Services
  Personal NewsPaper
  Greek Fonts
  Tools
  F.A.Q.
 

Athens News Agency: News in English, 11-08-11

Athens News Agency: News in English Directory - Previous Article - Next Article

From: The Athens News Agency at <http://www.ana.gr/>

CONTENTS

  • [01] Diving tourism a growing attraction in Greece
  • [02] Unemployment climbs to 16.6pct

  • [01] Diving tourism a growing attraction in Greece

    ANA-MPA/The mysterious allure of the deep and life in the depths of the sea have kindled the imagination of many, but only few have the ability to experience them. Underwater photography, however, has brought the wondrous world of the deep closer to the 'landlubbers'.

    The Greek seas are rich in such photographic material, and underwater photography in Greece was permitted, through legislation, just a few years ago.

    Taking advantage of the 2005 legislation allowing recreational diving throughout the country, with the exception of designated archaeological areas, local government administrations throughout the country have launched a campaign to attract "diving tourists".ana-mpa

    Some 250,000 divers from abroad, with their families, are expected to visit Greece up through the end of October, while the number from June to the present has already reached 115,000 divers, according to Society for the Protection and Promotion of the Submarine Environment and its Surrounds president George Tzanakis told ANA-MPA.

    Some 70 percent of the divers who have already visited Greece this year were from Germany, Russia, Spain, France and Italy, while the other 30 percent were from the US.ANA-MPA

    This is the first year that the number of foreign visitors coming to Greece expressly for diving is being recorded statistically, as well as their favored destinations.ana-mpa

    According to Tzanakis, Greece was selected as the favored diving destination by 95 percent of a total of 7,500 divers who responded to questionnaires in the period 2006-2007.

    [02] Unemployment climbs to 16.6pct

    ANA-MPA/ Unemployment in Greece climbed to 16.6 percent in May, according to a Labour Force Survey released by the independent Hellenic Statistical Authority (ELSTAT) on Thursday.

    According to ELSTAT, the u

    The number of employed amounted to 4,131,528 persons while the number of unemployed amounted to 822,719 and the number of inactive to 4,383,374.

    The number of employed decreased by 299,798 persons compared with May 2010 (a 6.8% rate of decrease) and by 51,804 persons compared with April 2011 (a 1.24% rate of decrease).ana-mpa

    The number of unemployed increased by nemployment rate in May 2011 was 16.6% compared to 12.0% in May 2010 and 15.8% in April 2011. ana-mpa220.534 persons (a 36.6% rate of increase) compared with May 2010 and by 36,260 persons compared with April 2011 (a 4.6% rate of decrease).


    Athens News Agency: News in English Directory - Previous Article - Next Article
    Back to Top
    Copyright 1995-2016 HR-Net (Hellenic Resources Network). An HRI Project.
    All Rights Reserved.

    HTML by the HR-Net Group / Hellenic Resources Institute, Inc.
    ana2html v2.01 run on Thursday, 11 August 2011 - 12:37:20 UTC