Read the Treaty of Lausanne (24 July 1923) A)? GHT="50">
Compact version
Today's Suggestion
Read The "Macedonian Question" (by Maria Nystazopoulou-Pelekidou)
HomeAbout HR-NetNewsWeb SitesDocumentsOnline HelpUsage InformationContact us
Monday, 18 November 2019
 
News
  Latest News (All)
     From Greece
     From Cyprus
     From Europe
     From Balkans
     From Turkey
     From USA
  Announcements
  World Press
  News Archives
Web Sites
  Hosted
  Mirrored
  Interesting Nodes
Documents
  Special Topics
  Treaties, Conventions
  Constitutions
  U.S. Agencies
  Cyprus Problem
  Other
Services
  Personal NewsPaper
  Greek Fonts
  Tools
  F.A.Q.
 

The Hellenic Radio (ERA): News in English, 05-08-18

The Hellenic Radio (ERA): News in English Directory - Previous Article - Next Article

From: The Hellenic Radio (ERA) <www.ert.gr/>

CONTENTS

  • [01] US Court Fines Jackson
  • [02] Mortar Bombs at Jewish Enclave
  • [03] Faraway Husband!
  • [04] Helicopter Crashes in Siberia
  • [05] Emergency Landing
  • [06] Greece Remains Goalless

  • [01] By a New Orleans Court US Court Fines Jackson

    18 Aug 2005 11:21:00

    By Anna Kourti

    New Orleans court imposed on famous pop singer Michael Jackson a 10,000-dollar fine, for failing to show up in a pre-trial hearing for sexual assault. It is noted that the alleged crime was committed 20 years ago. The pop star, who was acquitted last June of abusing an underage boy, was sued anew by Joseph Bartucci, who claimed that he was abused by Jackson in 1984. According to Bartuccis lawyer, Jacksons employees forced him to be sexually abused by the star. Bartucci claimed that he repressed this painful ordeal until recently. Bartruccis lawyer said that Jackson attorney Charles Gay Jr. told the court that the summons for the New Orleans court appeared the day Jackson was acquitted by Californias court, and therefore there was some kind of confusion.

    Translated by Areti Christou

    [02] There no Casualties Mortar Bombs at Jewish Enclave

    18 Aug 2005 08:35:00 (Last updated: 18 Aug 2005 11:10:38)

    By Anna Kourti

    Palestinian militants launched two mortar bombs at a Jewish settlement expected to be evacuated in the Gaza Strip. So far, no casualties have been reported, announced the Israeli army. Israel has made it clear that it will not allow the Palestinians to obstruct the evacuation from the 21 enclaves in Gaza and four out of the 120 in the West Bank. At the same time, the Palestinian authorities have stationed around 7,500 police officers across the Jewish settlements to avert any attempt on the part of the militants to launch attacks against the settlers. However, Palestinians confirmed that they heard blasts from the mortar bombs against the Gadid enclave. At the same time, hundreds of Israeli soldiers and policemen escorted by excavators poured into the Gaza settlement of Kfar Darom, which is thought to be the hard-liners stronghold.

    The security forces moved around the streets of the settlement without being hammered, since the settlers are still barricaded inside their houses and the synagogue.

    In Kfar Darom, which was founded in 1970 as a religious community, the settlers refused to evacuate the settlement voluntarily.

    Army sources reported that the Kfar Darom enclave along with further six are to be forcibly evacuated within the day. Approximately 8,000 Israeli civilians opposing the Israeli pullout have not yet abandoned the Gaza settlements.

    "Dramatic Moment"

    U.S. Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice described the Israeli pullout from the Gaza Strip as a "dramatic moment" in the history of the Middle East and called Israel and Palestinians to proceed with quicker steps towards the creation of a Palestinian state, reported The New York Times.

    In her interview with the newspaper, US Secretary of State voiced her sympathy for the Israeli settlers who are evacuating their homes in Gaza. Rice argued that soon after the disengagement plan is complete, Israel should loosen travel restrictions in the West Bank and withdraw from more Palestinian cities. On their part, however, Israeli officials have made clear that unless the Palestinian authorities work on the dismantling and disarming the Palestinian militant groups, they have no intention of making any further concessions.

    Rice agreed and urged the Palestinian Authority to move fast towards disarming the radical militants. "That is their obligation under the road map, Rice said referring to the peace plan that has been proposed by the USA and its allies since 2003.

    Translated by Areti Christou

    Related News:

    Pullout Amid Violence

    Evacuation Deadline Ended

    [03] Faraway Husband!

    18 Aug 2005 00:03:00

    By Vagelis Theodorou

    A couple from FYROM wished to have a few days of relaxation. However, the husband was totally seduced the holidays. Mr Ivanov forgot his wife in a petrol station in Italy and went on with his travel unbothered without realizing the loss! After having travelled many kilometres heading for Germany, his mobile phone rang. It was an Italian police officer informing him that his 37-year-old wife was waiting for him at a petrol station near the area of Pesaro. The absent-minded 35-year-old man immediately made a U-turn and made his way to Italy to pick up his wife. "I filled it up, paid, got on my car and left. She usually sits at the back and I did not realize she was missing until I got the call," Mr Ivanov explained. Whether his amnesia was deliberate or not is open to question. What is certain, though, is that a lot of nagging and a never-ending apology are to keep him company for quite some time!

    Translated by Areti Christou

    [04] 4 Killed-2 Injured Helicopter Crashes in Siberia

    18 Aug 2005 11:01:00

    By Anna Kourti

    A Russian Mi-8 helicopter came down in western Siberia killing four people and injuring further two. As per Russian authorities, the causes of the crash have not yet been determined. Earlier, another Mi-8 helicopter used for military purposes sustained a mechanical failure and made an emergency landing near the eastern city of Khabarovsk. Three crewmembers were injured. Air force commander Vladimir Mikhailov ordered Mi-8 helicopter flights be temporarily suspended until the exact causes of the accident are surfaced.

    Translated by Areti Christou

    [05] Emergency Landing

    18 Aug 2005 10:33:00

    By Anna Kourti

    A Turkish Airbus 300 with 292 people and 11-member crew on board made an emergency landing in Budapests airport following a failure in one of the two engines. The Fly Air passenger jet en route from Istanbul to Brussels landed safely with no injuries, a spokeswoman for the airport Ibolya Forika said. "The pilot reported that one of its engines failed and the plane landed with one engine operating," she said. So far, there is no information regarding as to what caused the engine failure. Fly Air Company has a fleet of 13 airliners, including seven Airbus A300, and started operating in 2002.

    Translated by Areti Christou

    [06] Greece Remains Goalless

    17 Aug 2005 23:30:00

    By Stathis Petropoulos

    Every game that ends, the defense problem of the Greek national team gets bigger and if this continues the qualification in the final stage of the 2006 World Cup is doomed. The friendly match against Belgium seemed to take place in order to confirm the difficulty of the Greek team to find a revolutionary solution. As if the defense wasnt a problem, the offense also lacked, a fact that resulted in two goals in four minutes by the speedy Belgians, in particular the Mpenza brothers, Emile and Mbo. The Greek team was dreadful in the games start, and that is depicted in the 2-0 score with which the first half ended. In the 19 Kapsis made a tragic mistake trying to pass the ball to Nikopolidis and Emile Mpenza caught it, sending in the nets of the Olympiacos goalie. Four minutes later, Emiles brother, Mbo took advantage of the confusion in Greeces area and easily scored 2-0. Naturally there was no reaction, and Greece added another 45 minutes of a non-existent performance in its resume.

    Better but Still Lacking

    In the second half the Greek team showed signs of recovery and a great contribution to the above was Rehaggels substitutions, which meant the return of Lyberopoulos in the team and the entrance of Zisis Vryzas. In the 55, the team became threatening after an excellent pass by Seitaridis, Lyberopoulos was face to face with Proto, who unfortunately was the winner of the battle. The Belgians used their primary weapon, speed, however during the added time they restricted to counterattacking. The biggest opportunity lost was at the 78 when Vryzas was alone near the nets, after a pass by Salpigidis, but Proto blocked his shot. With this and that Otto Rehaggel did not celebrate his 50th game in the Greek bench, and the European Champion completed six matches and 545 minutes goalless. A negative record which we hope it will break in the games against Kazakhstan (7/9), Denmark (8/10) and Georgia (12/10) for the qualification in the World Cup in Germany.

    Translated by Eirene Nisiriou


    The Hellenic Radio (ERA): News in English Directory - Previous Article - Next Article
    Back to Top
    Copyright 1995-2016 HR-Net (Hellenic Resources Network). An HRI Project.
    All Rights Reserved.

    HTML by the HR-Net Group / Hellenic Resources Institute, Inc.
    eraen2html v1.01 run on Thursday, 18 August 2005 - 10:44:57 UTC