|Tuesday, 14 August 2018|
The Hellenic Radio (ERA): News in English, 09-03-02
From: The Hellenic Radio (ERA) <www.ert.gr/>
 Incident against Greek Tourists in FYROMUnidentified individuals attacked three tourist coaches carrying Greek tourists at Ochris, Skopje on Sunday evening. Foreign Ministry spokesman Giorgos Koumoutsakos denounced the attack strongly, asking from FYROM's (Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia) authorities to protect the Greek citizens, who visit FYROM. "We condemn in the strongest way the organized attack from unknown individuals against the Greek visitors and their property," stated the spokesman.
"Unfortunately, such actions, which affect the communication between the two peoples, are the result of nationalism and bigotry turned against Greece, promoted by Skopje lately", said Mr Koumoutsakos. "We demand from FYROM to protect the Greek citizens, who are visiting their country; we also demand that the culprits are arrested and punished for yesterday's unprovoked attack."
On Sunday evening, about 20-30 individuals attacked three Greek tourist busses that were parked in the centre of Ochris, waiting for the Greek tourists to return from their excursion.
As per the local media, the culprits used spray to write on the coaches "Macedonia", "United Macedonia" and "Alexander the Great".
However, the Greek tourists added that the culprits had thrown against them pieces of wood and stones to one of the coaches, causing additional damage.
According to the local media, may Ochris inhabitants condemn the incident; as such actions defame their city's image.
Meanwhile, the Ochris Mayor denounced the incident, apologising for the incident to the Greek Liaison Committee in Skopje at the Greek consulate in Monastirie responsible for Financial and Commercial Affairs.
Sources: ═┼ď, ┴NA-╠PA
News item: 19571
 D. Bakoyannis: Our Priority is Safety in the Middle EastStability and safety in the Middle East constitutes a priority of the Greek foreign policy, stresses Greek Foreign Minister Dora Bakoyannis in an interview with Egyptian newspaper Al Ahram. "Greece wishes to play an effective role in the peace-keeping process in the Middle East and supports strongly the states' solution," adding that Greece supports Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas in his efforts to achieve national reconciliation.
Greece points out how important it is for all passages to the Gaza Strip to open, so that the Palestinians' problems are reduced, stated Ms Bakoyannis, concluding that Greece supports the Arab peace initiative, believing that the efforts for Gaza's reconstruction constitute a "key" for the peace-keeping process to find its way.
Ms Bakoyannis, who is attending the Sharm el-Sheikh meeting for the reconstruction of Gaza, stressed to the newspaper that the international community should exhaust all its efforts to bring peace and stability in the Middle East.
She also stressed that Greece supports Egypt's initiative to end the war in Gaza, adding that the situation in Gaza Strip remains crucial, demanding attention for truce to be stabilized between the Israelis and the Palestinians.
Finally, she referred to the close and historic bonds between Greece and Egypt, adding that both countries have a common cultural heritage.
Relative articles: Meeting on the Rebuilding of Gaza Normal 0 false false false MicrosoftInternetExplorer4
News item: 19567
 Chinese Bidder Won't Pay for BronzesNews
A Chinese collector and auctioneer, Cai Mingchao, said did not have enough money to pay for the 18th-century bronze heads of a rat and a rabbit, auctioned in Paris last week. He admitted he had made the anonymous winning bids for two pieces of the Yves Saint Laurent and Pierre Berg├ę collection, describing his action patriotic.
The two bronze heads were part of a 12-animal water-clock fountain configured around the Chinese zodiac. It was located in the imperial gardens of the Summer Palace outside Beijing. In 1860, the palace was sacked by British and French forces. China had always asked for the return of both pieces.
"I think any Chinese person would have stood up at that moment," Mr. Cai said of his bid, made by telephone through Christie's. "It was just that the opportunity came to me. I was merely fulfilling my responsibilities."
On moral grounds, and as a way to protest the auction, Mr. Cai added, "I want to emphasize that the money won't be paid." His statements were published in China's National Heritage Fund, a non-governmental organization that has been trying since 2002 to bring back the two artifacts.
Mr Cai, owner of an auction house in Ziamen, is one of the Fund's advisors.
Source: AFP, ANA-╠PA Le Monde: Vente YSL-Berg├ę : les bronzes chinois rachet├ęs par un collectionneur... chinois
News item: 19569