|Wednesday, 21 March 2018|
The Hellenic Radio (ERA): News in English, 10-06-26
From: The Hellenic Radio (ERA) <www.ert.gr/>
 Funeral of Top Aide- Intensive InvestigationsSaturday, 26 June 2010 16:25
George Vasilakis, top aide of Citizen Protection Minister Mihalis Hrisohoidis, funeral service was held in a climate of deep grief on Saturday at 13:00. Among those who came to bid farewell and pay their respects to the police officer were Citizen Protection Minister Mihalis Hrisohoidis, relatives, friends and hundreds of his colleagues. In the meantime, investigations continue focused on the explosive device used for the first time in a terrorist attack in Greece. A parcel-bomb, disguised as a gift, was mailed to Hrisohoidis political office, on June, 21 and sent to his office in Katehaki two days later. The name of the sender was Hristos Karavelas.
Relatives, friends from Athens and his homeland Crete, hundreds of his colleagues, statesmen and people who did not know him attended George Vasilakis funeral in Zografou Cemetery to bid last farewell to the unfortunate police officer and support his family.
Bobby Trapped Parcel
A booby-trapped package, a device for the first time used in Greece, exploded next to the office on the seventh floor of the Greek minister for Citizen Protection Mihalis Hrisohoidis killing his top aide police officer George Vasilakis.
It was a wrapped package that exploded in the hands of Vassilakis when he tried to open it, killing him on the spot. The device was designed to kill whoever opened the parcel. It is believed that the target was the Citizen Protection Minister but his aide, who usually opened his correspondence, was killed.
The explosive material has not been identified as it was burnt in the blast but experts believe it was a "slow" explosive such as gunpowder with little ammonia. Such device has never been used before and the antiterrorist agency believe it was either made abroad or by a person who had experience in this field.
No organization has claimed responsibility so far and police have no named any terrorist organization waiting for a proclamation.
Police sources said the bobby trapped package had been used in the past by Vascs ETA organization and IRA that had sent a same package to former British Prime-minister M. Thachter. Also two similar bombs had been sent to carabineers in Italy, who had identified and defused them. Later the International Solidarity organization had claimed responsibility to show support to Nikos Maziotis, who was in prison for a bomb attack then and is also detained now for a case linked to Revolutionary Struggle. Greek authorities have come in contact with Italian authorities to find out whether there is a link. Specifically, a parcel bomb was sent to carabineers in Rome, on April, 19, 2010 but was identified and defused. The anarchist federation LAMBROS FUNTA S had claimed responsibility demanding the freeing of anarchists held in France, Italy and Greece.
With deep grief I express my condolences and support to the family of George Vasilakis. I am sure the Greek state will stand near them and this murder will be punished to justified the dead and our democracy, said the President of the Republic K. Papoulias in his message.
"In a time when our country and our people wage a daily battle to escape the crisis, cowardly murderers are striking a blow at our democracy. The whole society express abhorrence at this criminal action" Prime Minister George Papandreou said late Thursday in a statement.
All political party leaders issued messages to express their deep grief and condemn the abhorrent act. Sources: ÍÅÔ-ÍÅÔ 105.8-ÁNA/ÌPA
News item: 38000
 Railway Workers Suspend StrikeSaturday, 26 June 2010 13:25
The National Federation of Railroad Workers has decided to suspend their strike scheduled for Wednesday, June, 30 as workers will participate in the industrial mobilization on Tuesday, June 29, organized by the two major unions GSEE and ADEDY in protest against reforms in social security system and labour relations. In its announcement, the National Federation of Railroad Workers says that there will be a new mobilization on the day the Transport Ministry will announce the measures for the purging and restructuring of the Hellenic Railways Company.
The National Federation of Railroad Workers strongly objects to the government's plans for privatization and closure of 2/3 of the network and supports a unified, state, modern and purged railway network to serve the people.
Sources: ÁNA/ÌPA News item: 37998
 UK to Limit Number of Migrant WorkersSaturday, 26 June 2010 17:22
The UK is to introduce a temporary limit on the number of migrant workers from outside the EU ahead of a planned permanent cap. The number of workers can not be over 24.100 between now and April 2011 when the new regulation comes in force.
According to the French News Agency quoting source in British Home Ministry, the temporary cap is aimed at preventing a rush of applications before a permanent cap is set in April, 2011.
The same source says Home Secretary Theresa May will announce the move on Monday, as she launches a consultation process for deciding the level of the permanent cap.
Some 24.100 - down around 5% compared to the same period last year- workers outside the EU will be allowed into the UK between now and April 2011.
There will be exemptions to the cap, mainly concerning high standard athletes and employees of foreign companies with their activities in British territory.
To curb migration was among major pledges of Conservative Prime-minister David Cameron pre-election campaign.
Sources: ÁNA/ÌPA News item: 38001