|Thursday, 21 November 2019|
Cyprus PIO: Turkish Cypriot and Turkish Media Review, 14-01-07
Cyprus Press and Information Office: Turkish Cypriot Press Review Directory - Previous Article - Next Article
From: The Republic of Cyprus Press and Information Office Server at <http://www.pio.gov.cy/>TURKISH CYPRIOT AND TURKISH MEDIA REVIEW No. 03/14 04-07.01.14
[A] TURKISH CYPRIOT / TURKISH PRESS
[A] TURKISH CYPRIOT / TURKISH PRESS
 UN sources: Ban Ki-moon will invite the community leaders to New York if no agreement is reached on the joint declarationTurkish Cypriot daily Kibris newspaper (07.01.14) reports that sources close to the United Nations (UN) have said that the possibility for the UN Secretary-General, Ban Ki-moon to invite the Cypriot sides to New York in case the process of agreeing on a joint declaration fails is on the agenda.
In statements to Kibris, the sources noted that the developments in January will be decisive for the joint declaration, which is expected to launch the direct negotiations between President Anastasiades and the Turkish Cypriot leader, Dervis Eroglu.
The sources said that some developments might be experienced during the [Republic of Cyprus'] National Council's meeting on 8 January 2014 and the UN Secretary ? General's special adviser on Cyprus Alexander Downer's forthcoming visit to the island. They added that the Secretary-General waits to see what will happen before addressing the invitation. "If the sides could not agree, what else could the Secretary-General do? He will invite Mr Eroglu and Mr Anastasiades to New York and they will write the joint declaration together", the sources said pointing out that the invitation to New York had been put onto the table before and should be perceived as "the last option in case the sides could not agree".
Meanwhile, in statements to Kibris, Osman Ertug, special representative of the Turkish Cypriot leader, replied to the information published in the Greek Cypriot press that "the UN is preparing a short joint declaration" that will launch the direct negotiations in Cyprus. "This train has gone since a long time", argued Ertug adding that he does not think that the UN would bring onto the table a formula which had been tried and failed.
Ertug noted that in the beginning of the process they conveyed to the Greek Cypriot side a short text with the contribution of the self-styled foreign minister, Ozdil Nami, but this written exercise which started with a few lines reached a two-page text.
Ertug alleged that "these are policies of delaying tactics implemented by the Greek Cypriots". He noted that the last proposal of the Turkish Cypriot side is still on the table and the "most valid" option for them outside this proposal is to "sit at the table without preconditions".
 Eroglu: If there is a will, we can solve the problem within 3-5 monthsTurkish Cypriot daily Kibris newspaper (07.01.14) reports that the Turkish Cypriot leader Dervis Eroglu has said that the Greek Cypriot side rejected the latest proposal submitted by the Turkish Cypriot side, which allegedly made this proposal with "self-sacrifice" and "abandoning some of its views", in order for an agreement to be reached on the issue of the joint declaration.
In statements yesterday during a meeting with the victims' families and disabled veterans' association, Eroglu alleged that they want the beginning of the negotiations the soonest and added that foreign states are worried because of the prolongation of the process.
"If the Greek Cypriot side has a will, we could sit at the table and solve the problem within 3-5 months", he alleged and claimed that they could not see such a will in the Greek Cypriot side.
 Nami: The UN might invite the sides to start negotiations without a joint declarationTurkish Cypriot daily Yeni Duzen newspaper (07.01.14) reports that Ozdil Nami, self-styled foreign minister of the breakaway regime in the occupied area of the Republic of Cyprus, has alleged that the debate on the joint declaration which "locked" the process for finding a solution to the Cyprus problem is "limited to a difference of 3-4 words". In statements during a visit to Yeni Duzen's headquarters, Nami argued: "There is a serious convergence. The problem could easily be overcome with the will of both sides".
Nami noted that the problem in the joint declaration exists in expressions such as "absolutely no one of the constituent states could claim authority or power over the other" and that "no one of the constituent states could claim sovereignty". He argued that this problem could be overcome and added that the principles of "single sovereignty, single international identity and single citizenship" have been indisputably accepted by both sides. He argued that the difficulties as regards the "internal citizenship" and the "residual powers" had been overcome and added that "no return back would be right after coming to this point".
Nami said that the UN Secretary ? General's special adviser for Cyprus, Alexander Downer will hold meetings with the aim of overcoming this deadlock during his visit to the island on 12 January.
Nami argued that in case the disagreement between the Turkish Cypriot and the Greek Cypriot sides on the issue of the joint declaration continues, the UN might submit an "interim formula" and added that it is possible for the UN to send a letter inviting the sides to launch negotiations without a joint statement.
Nami said that the direct negotiations will be held more easily in case an agreement is reached on a joint declaration and noted that even now there is agreement on very important core issues.
 Iron barrier placed at Ledras Street barricade removed after Yorgancioglu's interferenceTurkish Cypriot daily Yeni Duzen newspaper (06.01.14) reported that a barrier made of iron which was placed at the Ledra Street barricade by the so-called security forces of the breakaway regime was removed shortly after it was placed.
The paper writes that the barrier was removed after the interference of the so-called prime minister Ozkan Yorgancioglu and "foreign minister" Ozdil Nami.
 Self-styled deputies to visit Brussels trying to bring the Cyprus problem into the agendaTurkish Cypriot daily Kibris newspaper (04.01.14) reports that initiatives are taking place so that the Cyprus problem will come into the agenda at the first general 2014 meeting of the European Parliament.
The paper writes that Armagan Candan, "deputy" of the Republican Turkish Party (CTP) and member of the party's EU harmonization committee, stated that a delegation of "deputies" will visit Strasbourg between 13-16 of January. According to Candan, the delegation will inform EP deputies about the Cyprus problem and the latest developments regarding the negotiations and will convey their thoughts about the EU Turkey report.
 Ozyigit: AKP continues its attacks to redesign the Turkish Cypriot identity; Elicil: Akca is a missionary of Gulen CommunityTurkish Cypriot daily Ortam newspaper (07.01.14) reports that Sener Elcil, general secretary of the Turkish Cypriot primary school teachers' trade union (KTOS), has accused the Turkish so-called ambassador to the occupied part of Nicosia, Halil Ibrahim Akca, of acting as a "governor of a province" in the occupied area of Cyprus and of supporting the activities of Fethullah Gulen's Community and of being a missionary of this Community in occupied Cyprus.
In a written statement issued yesterday, Elcil noted that on the one hand the Turkish Cypriot community is becoming poorer with the economic packages imposed by Turkey and on the other the activities of the religious orders in the occupied area of the island are financed by the "embassy" of Turkey. "The stance of Mr Halil Ibrahim Akca openly serves Fethullah Community", he noted.
Elcil said that a group of teachers, who are employed at the "embassy" under the title of "adviser on education" and act under the name of "religion and ethics teachers", carry out the propaganda of the above mentioned community. He added that groups organized under the name of "foundations" aim at opening Fethullah schools under the name "private schools". As if this was not enough, he said, propaganda is conducted in some private lessons saying that the education in the "Theological College" is free of charge, that it is the same with the other colleges and that financial aid is granted to the students. Elcil noted that they will carry Akca's activities to the international platform.
Meanwhile, Ortam (06.01.14) reported that Cemal Ozyigit, leader of the Social Democracy Party (TDP), has called on the self-styled government to give explanations on the opening of a school constructed by Adabilim Foundation and has the same name with schools in Turkey which offer religious education and Koran lessons. He noted that they have fears that the school in the occupied area of Cyprus will offer the same education because it has the same name.
Ozyigit noted that the Turkish capital supported by the Justice and Development Party (AKP) continues its attacks in the direction of redesigning the identity of the Turkish Cypriots, who are face to face with "economic packages" imposed by Turkey or either with the choice of emigrating.
 Ali Erel: Turkey is not ready for a permanent solution in Cyprus.Turkish Cypriot daily Kibris Postasi newspaper (06.01.14) reported that Ali Erel, former chairman of the Cyprus-EU Association, stated that Turkey is not ready for a permanent solution in Cyprus.
In statements to the paper, Erel said that there is lack of political desire for the solution and added that the technical details are ready and theoretically the Cyprus problem could be solved in a very short time. "The reason for the non-solution is that Turkey is not ready for such a solution", he stated.
He went on and added that Turkey strategically needs Cyprus. He also said that solution means for Turkey to abandon its sovereignty on soil at Cyprus' northern part and Turkey is not ready for this.
 Unregulated quarrying continues to put Pentadaktylos mountain range in dangerTurkish Cypriot daily Kibris newspaper (07.01.14) reports that unregulated quarrying continues to take place at Pentadaktylos mountain range, putting it in danger and notes that solution on the issue must be found the soonest possible. The paper writes that the Republic of Cyprus is bringing the issue to the EU agenda.
According to the paper, the firms which operate the stone quarries in the mountain range, claim that they use modern technics and implement world practises that do not put nature in danger. However, the chairman of the Environmental Engineering Chamber Nilden Bektas stated that the stone quarries that operate for many years at occupied Pentadaktylos mountain range, now create serious environmental problems in the occupied area Cyprus.
 New rift among the "coalition government" on the "temporary public sector employees"Turkish Cypriot daily Halkin sesi (07.01.14), in its front page under the headline "A rift in the government", reports that the proposals regarding the "temporary public sector employees", which were brought up in the "parliament" by the Democratic Party ? National Forces (DP-UG) yesterday without the knowledge of the Republican Turkish Party (CTP), raised the tension among the self-styled coalition government.
According to the paper, the DP-UG submitted to self-styled assembly two proposals regarding the "temporary public sector employees". The first one is to bring an end to the practice of employing temporary employees to the "public sector" and the second "bill draft" is the "current temporary public sector employees" to maintain their current rights and to keep their jobs.
Despite CTP's objection to the proposals, the DP-UG, the main opposition National Unity Party (UBP) and the opposition Social Democratic Party (TDP) voted in favour of the proposals to be taken up urgently in the "parliament".
Ozkan Yorgancioglu, self-styled prime minister, addressing the so-called parliament, said that the proposals were clearly against the "law governing public servants", DP-UG "deputy" Hasan Tacoy argued that "the proposals had been prepared in line with the spirit of a reform law aimed at addressing areas of need". He added that "the ultimate aim is to bring an end to the practice of hiring temporary staff to the public sector once and for all".
 Champagne to be a candidate for FIFA's presidencyTurkish Cypriot daily Havadis newspaper (07.02.13) reports that Jerome Champagne, former general secretary of FIFA, who signed a protocol for cooperation with the so-called Turkish Cypriot football federation (KTFF) of the breakaway regime will announce that he will be a candidate for FIFA's presidency.
According to the paper, Champagne will announce officially his candidacy during a press conference in London, on January 20. The paper notes that Champagne invited two members of the so-called Turkish Cypriot football federation in the ceremony, KTFF chairman Hasan Sertoglu and the member of the federation Orcun Kamali.
 Church in occupied Syrianochori is being restoredTurkish Cypriot daily Kibrisli (05.01.14) reported that the restoration of the historical church in the occupied village of Syrianochori has started with the financial aid of UNDP. The repair work will last for seven months, the paper reported.
 Erdogan 'favours' the retrial of coup cases; General Staff filed formal request for investigation; Basbug's plea for release rejectedTurkish daily Hurriyet Daily News (online, 05.01.14) reported that Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan said Jan. 5 he would favour retrials for hundreds of military officers jailed for coup-plotting. "Our position on a retrial is a favourable one," he told reporters in Istanbul before taking off on a tour of Asia.
Erdogan's statement comes after a weekend meeting with Metin Feyzioglu, head of the Union of Bar Associations (TBB), who submitted proposals to clear the way for the retrial of jailed officers.
On the same issue, HDN (online, 06.01.14), under the title "Legal action on coup cases launched after 'plot' claims, Turkish Armed Forces say", reported that Turkey's General Staff has officially confirmed that it has filed a formal request for an investigation into claims that convictions in recent coup-plot cases were a "conspiracy."
The statement referred implicitly to a political figure's suggestion of a "plot" as the trigger for the decision to launch legal action. "Accordingly with the necessity of 'being a state of law,' the Turkish Armed Forces has avoided comments that could influence the trials and investigations against some of its members; it shared its thoughts with the competent institutions, made proposals, awaited results and did not engage in any legal action during the process for all these reasons as stated in a press statement on Dec. 27 ," the General Staff said.
"However on the same day, following statements by a political figure in the press, the public has been informed through a written statement and a criminal complaint has been filed at the Ankara Prosecutor's Office," the statement added.
Meanwhile, Ankara Anatolia news agency (06.01.14) reported that a Turkish court rejected on Monday the request for release of former Chief of General Staff General Ilker Basbug on the grounds that the prosecution had concluded on August 5, 2013, and there was no need to issue another decree about his imprisonment.
 CHP: Turkish government's motivations for retrials not convincingAccording to Turkish daily Hurriyet Daily News (online, 06.01.14), the government's expressed intention for the retrial of hundreds of military officers convicted on coup plot charges is not convincing, main opposition Republican Peoples' Party (CHP) Deputy Chair Faruk Logoglu has said.
Logoglu suggested the move is an attempt to divert the agenda from corruption and bribery claims. "We want justice even if it is late. We are ready to give support," Logoglu said on Jan. 6 at a press conference.
Logoglu said he did not regard the government's approach as a sincere attempt to secure justice, as it came too late. "Did your conscience just realize?" If there is a need for retrial, then all suspects should be released and should stand trial without arrest, the CHP lawmaker stated.
 Turkish businessman financed prosecutor Oz's holidayAccording to Turkish daily Today's Zaman (online, 06.01.14), Istanbul Prosecutor Zekeriya Oz, who is leading one branch of a major ongoing corruption investigation, denied claims that he took a lavish vacation to Dubai with seven of his friends that was allegedly paid for by a construction company.
The pro-government Sabah daily ran a story on Sunday describing Oz as a prosecutor who "launched the defamation campaign against the government via a corruption investigation," and alleged that the prosecutor went on an expensive vacation in Dubai with his friends. According to the daily, a construction company paid the TL 77,000 bill for the trip.
In a statement he released on Monday, Oz vehemently denied claims that the vacation bill was paid for by a construction firm. Oz said he went to Dubai with his family and paid for the trip himself.
Ali Agaoglu, a well-known business tycoon who was released pending trial in the major graft probe, however, claimed that his firm hosted Oz in Dubai.
In a written statement, published by the Hurriyet daily, Agaoglu, who is among the chief suspects in the investigation on alleged bribery and tender rigging, said his firm's Dubai regional representative received approval from company executives to cover the cost of Oz's vacation. TURKISH AFFAIRS SECTION