|Wednesday, 20 November 2019|
Cyprus PIO: Turkish Cypriot and Turkish Media Review, 14-01-08
Cyprus Press and Information Office: Turkish Cypriot Press Review Directory - Previous Article - Next Article
From: The Republic of Cyprus Press and Information Office Server at <http://www.pio.gov.cy/>TURKISH CYPRIOT AND TURKISH MEDIA REVIEW No. 04/14 08.01.14
[A] TURKISH CYPRIOT / TURKISH PRESS
[A] TURKISH CYPRIOT / TURKISH PRESS
 Eroglu will meet Erdogan and Gul in AnkaraTurkish Cypriot daily Kibris newspaper (08.01.14) reports that the Turkish Cypriot leader Dervis Eroglu has said that within the forthcoming days he will visit Ankara where he will hold some "consultations" on the Cyprus problem with Turkish President Abdullah Gul and Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan.
In statements yesterday during a visit to a civilian organization, Eroglu argued that an agreement to be reached on the Cyprus problem should be based on sound foundations and reiterated that the continuation of Turkey's active and effective guarantees is the first precondition in order for the Turkish Cypriots' living "in tranquillity and security under the roof which will be established". "The second precondition is the partnership state to be established by two founding states", he argued noting that this is the issue on which they mostly debate with the Greek Cypriots.
Eroglu asked once more the lifting of the so-called embargoes allegedly implemented on the Turkish Cypriots and alleged that the UN and the EU have committed two historic mistakes. The one, he claimed, was UN Security Council's Resolution of 4 March 1964 in which "the Greek Cypriots" were allegedly recognized as the Republic of Cyprus. He alleged that the second "mistake" was the accession of Cyprus into the EU. He argued that these two so-called "historic mistakes" carried "the intransigence of the Greek Cypriots until today".
Meanwhile, in statements during a meeting at his office, Eroglu argued that no agreement on the Cyprus problem could be reached with "exchange of papers" without sitting at the negotiating table. Eroglu said that the Turkish side has made its last proposal on the issue of the "joint declaration". He argued that their "paper" should be taken as basis and claimed that "a viable agreement could emerge only by sitting at the negotiating table with such a paper".
Referring to the information that a "short text" could be prepared instead of a joint declaration before the resumption of the negotiations, Eroglu said: "What will be included in this text called 'short text'? We have spoken with the UN Secretary-General. This is our last paper".
Eroglu said he had heard that the UN Secretary-General's special adviser on Cyprus, Alexander Downer will come to the island on 12 January, but there has been no request for a meeting with him until now.
 Nami: Serious convergences exist between the sides on the joint declarationTurkish Cypriot daily Kibris newspaper (08.01.14) reports that Ozdil Nami, self-styled foreign minister of the breakaway regime in the occupied area of the Republic of Cyprus, has argued that serious convergences exist between the sides on the issue of the joint declaration, that progress has been achieved compared to the first day of the talks and that only minor differences remain.
In statements to Kibris, Nami noted that the issue of single sovereignty, single citizenship and single international identity has been included in the joint statement in a way acceptable by both sides. He added that expressions such as "residual powers, internal citizenship, founding states" are included in this text. He argued that when the UN Secretary-General's special adviser on Cyprus, Alexander Downer will come to the island, a result could be reached on the joint statement, adding that there is no issue which could not be solved.
He said that demands, regarding which efforts had been exerted for their inclusion in the joint declaration and constituted a problem, have been removed. As such demands he described "the presence of an EU expert at the negotiating table", "the return of Varosha before the negotiations" and the guarantees.
Nami claimed that it would not be difficult to find a formula on the issue of the "sovereignty" and argued that this formula could be saying that "neither the one nor the other side could use alone the single sovereignty".
Nami claimed that many problems experienced in the "country" are derived from the so-called isolation of the Turkish Cypriots and added that his "ministry" has the mission of developing their relations with the world. He said that as "ministry" they are not interested only in the Cyprus problem, but they have also established a "unit" on the economy and launched meetings with civilian organizations and businessmen. He said that they are exploring how their "representations" aboard could contribute in their economy.
Nami said that after he overtook his "duties", their contacts abroad increased and added that he had held contacts with officials from the Islamic Cooperation Organization, the European Commission and the Economic Cooperation Organization. He noted that he is pleased with the fact that many ambassadors, who come to the island, visit his so-called ministry in order to be briefed on the Cyprus problem.
 TUSIAD will hold contacts in the occupied part of NicosiaTurkish Cypriot daily Havadis newspaper (08.01.14) reports that a delegation from the Turkish Industry and Business Association (TUSIAD) under Muharrem Yilmaz, the chairman of its board of directors, will visit the occupied part of Nicosia tomorrow. During their one-day visit, the Turkish businessmen will be hosted by the Turkish Cypriot Businessmen Association (ISAD) and hold contacts regarding the negotiations process in the Cyprus problem.
The delegation is expected to meet with the Turkish Cypriot leader, Dervis Eroglu, the self-styled prime minister of the regime, Ozkan Yorgancioglu and the so-called minister of foreign affairs, Ozdil Nami.
Furthermore, within the framework of the visit, TUSIAD and ISAD will issue a declaration together with Greek Cypriot and Greek businessmen associations supporting the solution process in Cyprus.
 Columnist reveals the Turkish side's intentions for a two-state solution in the Cyprus problemColumnist Yusuf Kanli, writing in Turkish daily Hurriyet Daily News (online, 08.01.14) under the title "Two states on Cyprus", discloses the Turkish side's intention, in his following, inter alia, commentary, that the conclusion of the Cyprus talks is the international recognition of the breakaway regime in the occupied area of the Republic of Cyprus:
"The continued deadlock in the Cyprus peace-making process and uncompromising preconditions of the Greek Cypriots to kick off what they already claim to be doomed to fail the new round of inter-communal talks point at one highly probable culmination: The 'de facto' becoming the 'de jure'. That is the two-state reality on the land becoming the eventual resolution of the Cyprus problem with both states accorded international recognition.
A bitter compromise settlement on Cyprus requires the existence of political will and responsible politics that will guide people to accept such painful compromises for the sake of a common better future for the two peoples on their joint homeland. In the absence of will, on either, side to create a federation, insisting on establishing one is of course futile, as we have been experiencing in Cyprus since federation jargon entered the semantics of the process in late 1970s.
Now, not only Turkish Cypriots, international observers have started talking of the need of a "velvet divorce" and the two states of the island making a "divorce agreement" and uniting in the EU."
 A special 50th anniversary postal stampTurkish Cypriot daily Vatan (08.01.14) reports that a special 50th anniversary stamp has already gone on sale by the so-called TRNC post department to mark the 50th anniversary of the "Cyprus Turkish Postal Service" ("PTT"), which was established on the 6th of January 1964.
 Turkey's exports to the occupied area of Cyprus reached one billion dollars in 2013Under the title "Imports from Turkey reached one billion dollars", Turkish Cypriot daily Havadis newspaper (08.01.14) reports that the exports of Turkey to the occupied area of the Republic of Cyprus increased by 2.7% in 2013 comparing to 2012 and reached 999 million and 600 thousand US dollars.
According to data published by the Turkish Exporters' Assembly (TIM), the "TRNC", breakaway regime in the occupied area of the Republic of Cyprus, is in the 31st place on the list of the countries to which Turkey exports the most products. Turkey's exports to the occupied area of Cyprus constitute 0.7% of its total exports.
 A second wave of dismissals amid graft probeUnder the title "Turkey removes police chiefs of 16 provinces amid graft probe", Turkish daily Today's Zaman (online, 08.01.14) reported that Turkish Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan's government removed police chiefs of at least 16 provinces overnight, Turkish media said, as part of a campaign to appoint loyalists in a bid to what observers largely agree to cover up a recent corruption investigation.
A day earlier, authorities purged hundreds of police officials, some of them included members of the financial and organized crime, smuggling and anti-terrorism units, and they were moved to traffic duties, according to the reports.
According to the Hurriyet daily, some 1,700 police have been dismissed or reassigned in Istanbul and Ankara alone since the corruption investigations became public.
On the same issue, TZ (online, 07.01.14) reported that in a second wave of dismissals since the launch of a corruption probe rocked the government last month, dozens of high-ranked bureaucrats were dismissed from the Ministry of Finance on Tuesday, the Vatan daily has reported.
Around 350 police officers were removed from their posts in Ankara overnight on Monday, marking the biggest single reported police shakeup since the launch of the corruption probe.
Meanwhile, TZ (online, 07.01.14) reported that twenty-five suspects, including prominent Turkish State Railways (TCDD) port directors and businessmen, were detained in simultaneous raids conducted in Izmir, Istanbul, Ankara, Van and Hatay Tuesday morning as part of a tender rigging investigation launched by the Izmir Chief Public Prosecutor's Office.
The suspects are facing charges of giving and receiving bribes, tender rigging, corruption, misconduct, embezzlement and aggravated fraud.
 Erdogan: My deputyship adventure ends this termAccording to Turkish daily Today's Zaman (online, 07.01.14), Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan has dropped hints that he will not work to change a Justice and Development Party (AK Party) bylaw that limits Deputies to three consecutive terms in office.
Responding to reporters' questions in Tokyo on Tuesday, Erdogan said: "This is my third term in office. It is the same for many of my colleagues [AK Party members]. According to our party bylaws, our deputyship adventure ends this term."
The Prime Minister also told Japanese reporters that a politician does not engage in politics solely in Parliament. "It is not right to think that a politician will remain in Parliament until he dies," he said. According to the Prime Minister, politicians should quit their seats after completing three terms in Parliament so that young people can also find a place to contribute in politics.
 Five released Kurdish lawmakers take oath in Turkish ParliamentTurkish daily Hurriyet Daily News (online, 07.01.14) reported that the Peace and Democracy Party (BDP) Sanliurfa Deputy Ibrahim Ayhan, BDP Mardin Deputy Gulser Yildirim, BDP Sirnak Deputies Selma Irmak and Faysal Sariyildiz, as well as independent Deputy from Van Kemal Aktas have taken their oaths in Parliament. All five Deputies were detained as part of the Kurdish Communities Union (KCK) trial and were elected as lawmakers in the June 2011 elections. However, they failed to take their oaths at the time because they were under arrest.
 Turkish military prosecutors dismiss investigation into Uludere massacreTurkish daily Hurriyet Daily News (online, 07.01.14) reported that the General Staff's Military Prosecutor's Office has dismissed the investigation into the Uludere/Roboski massacre, in which 34 civilians were killed in an air strike, saying in its ruling military officers have made an "inevitable" mistake while performing their duty.
The decision outraged relatives and lawyers as the Diyarbakir Bar Association announced they will appeal to the European Court of Human Right if their individual complaint to Turkey's Constitutional Court bears no fruit.
The dismissal of the investigation also comes amid an ongoing Kurdish peace process that seeks to bring a solution to the four-decade long conflict. TURKISH AFFAIRS SECTION