HR-Net - Hellenic Resources Network Compact version
Today's Suggestion
Browse through our Interesting Nodes on Greece
HomeAbout HR-NetNewsWeb SitesDocumentsOnline HelpUsage InformationContact us
Wednesday, 18 October 2017
 
News
  Latest News (All)
     From Greece
     From Cyprus
     From Europe
     From Balkans
     From Turkey
     From USA
  Announcements
  World Press
  News Archives
Web Sites
  Hosted
  Mirrored
  Interesting Nodes
Documents
  Special Topics
  Treaties, Conventions
  Constitutions
  U.S. Agencies
  Cyprus Problem
  Other
Services
  Personal NewsPaper
  Greek Fonts
  Tools
  F.A.Q.
 

The Hellenic Radio (ERA): News in English, 09-02-25

The Hellenic Radio (ERA): News in English Directory - Previous Article - Next Article

From: The Hellenic Radio (ERA) <www.ert.gr/>

CONTENTS

  • [01] Dora Bakoyiannis Begins Talks with Hilary Clinton
  • [02] They Blame One Another
  • [03] Nine Killed in Amsterdam Airliner Crash

  • [01] Dora Bakoyiannis Begins Talks with Hilary Clinton

    News

    Developments in the Middle East and relations with Russia were at the crux of Greek foreign minister and OSCE (Organization for Security and Cooperation in Europe) chairperson Dora Bakoyannis meetings in Washington on Tuesday with the US Senate Foreign Relations Committee and House of Representatives Foreign Affairs Committee, while developments in Greek-Turkish relations, the prospects for a solution of the Cyprus issue and Turkey's role in the ongoing process under the aegis of the UN, as well as the FYROM name issue, were also examined.

    During her meeting with the Congressional committee dealing with the OSCE, the role of the current Greek chairmanship of the organization was discussed, as well as the renewal of the OSCE's mission in Georgia. Bakoyannis stressed the need for abolition as soon as possible of the visa requirement for Greek citizens wishing to visit the US and for Greece's entry into the US's Visa Waiver Program. She also expresses her worries regarding recent Turkish provocations in Aegean Islands. Mrs. Clinton assured the Greek FM that this issue will de discussed with Turkey.

    News item: 19423

    [02] They Blame One Another

    Society

    Witnesses testified today that the notorious escaped convicts Palaiokostas and Rizai took advantage of the prison's inefficiencies and escaped for a second time by helicopter. The director of Korydallos prison Leonidas Karampekios supported in his testimony that the administration of prison has issued no plan to tackle possible prison breakings. ERT state TV revealed evidence per a stolen car used in the escape that can help authorities to trace the fugitives.

    The trial in Piraeus Supreme Court of the penitentiary guards who are being accused of participation in the escape continues. The director of Korydallos prison Mr. Leonidas Karampekios testified today that the prison had issued no plan for possible prison escape by air despite the fact that he had asked for a plan after 2006 escape. He also said that the third wing, where the prisoners were kept, was the safest as measures were risen. He also claimed that the chief warden is responsible for the place where prisoners, dangerous or not, are placed and not the director or the council of guards. The witness also defended his colleagues, saying that they are not armed while on reference to external guards he claimed that no law covers them if they open fire. In conclusion, he stated that Korydallos penitentiary guards live those days under the threat of being accused of participation to prison break.

    Moreover, according to the testimony four days before a warning had been issued in Korydallos prison on Palaiokostas-Rizai escape. In 18-2-2009 the director was briefed by the penitentiary guard V.L. that he had received a call from an anonymous person who said that Palaiokostas and Rizai were to escape again. An investigation took place then, the director himself searched the prison's wing three where the escaped convicts were kept, but found nothing.

    News item: 19404

    [03] Nine Killed in Amsterdam Airliner Crash

    A Turkish Airlines plane with 135 people aboard slammed into a field Wednesday while attempting to land at Amsterdam's main airport, killing nine people and injuring more than 50, the area's acting mayor said. The airline had said earlier that everyone survived. "At this moment there are nine victims to mourn and more than 50 injured," said Michel Bezuijen, acting mayor of Haarlemmermeer, said at a news conference. He said there was no immediate word on the cause of the crash.

    Bezuijen said at least 25 of the injured were in a serious condition and that both crew members and passengers were hurt.

    The plane broke into three sections on impact and its jet engines landed some about 100 meters away from the wreckage in a muddy field.

    Candan Karlitekin, the head of the airline's board of directors, told reporters in Turkey that visibility was good at the time of landing.

    "Visibility was clear and around 4,500 meters. Some 500 meters before landing; the plane landed on a field instead of the runway," he said.

    "We have checked the plane's documents and there is no problem concerning maintenance," he added.

    Turkish Airlines CEO Temel Kotil said the captain Hasan Tahsin, a former air force pilot, was very experienced.

    News item: 19395


    The Hellenic Radio (ERA): News in English Directory - Previous Article - Next Article
    Back to Top
    Copyright 1995-2016 HR-Net (Hellenic Resources Network). An HRI Project.
    All Rights Reserved.

    HTML by the HR-Net Group / Hellenic Resources Institute, Inc.
    eraen2html v1.01 run on Wednesday, 25 February 2009 - 21:46:38 UTC